HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickeenoo

How much metal is acceptable in an oil filter?

27 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just did an oil change and decided to cut the filter apart and stretch out the pleats to see how much metal was caught in the filter. I was surprized to see how much there was. How much metal is normal? I will try to post pics a little later. The bike is fairly new with only about 40 hrs on it.

Thanks,

Nate

How much time does the filter have on it?

7-8 Hours. Normally I wouldn't go quite this long - usually 5-6 with Amsoil full synthetic (Thanks Gray). Also, I change the filter everythime I change the oil.

Here are the pics:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/nickeenoo/IMG_0989.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/nickeenoo/IMG_0986.jpg

u hard on the clutch?

Not typically, although this last ride was in some technical rocky sections and I did have to adjust the clutch a few time throughout the ride; I was fanning the clutch a lot.

I did have a hard sand ride on this batch of oil; don't know if that matters or not.

its probably from the clutch, is the clutch stock? i think the stock plates in the 450's are aluminum. i changed mine out to an ebc kit.

its probably from the clutch, is the clutch stock? i think the stock plates in the 450's are aluminum. i changed mine out to an ebc kit.

The clutch is stock. Still, is that a normal amount of metal? It looks to me that at this rate I'll be replacing my clutch about every three rides.

ive never had that much metal in my filter, but it all depends how u ride the bike. it seems excessive. is it aluminum shavings? steel?

To me, that looks excessive. I especially don't like the look of the curled chip in the pleat at the far left pleat, half way up. I suspect something dragging against a case somewhere.

The clutch is stock. Still, is that a normal amount of metal? It looks to me that at this rate I'll be replacing my clutch about every three rides.

No it is not normal for a 40hr bike

You are hammering the clutch......and it will need help very very soon unless you change the habit.....or the terrain you ride on

I just checked with and magnet and about 95% of the shavings were aluminum. In my excitement over the amount of metal shavings in the filter I forgot that I did just install a TimeSert in my oil drain hole. I thought I was quite careful to remove all the metal shavings from the install but maybe not. I will change the filter again and see if there is any more shavings. Until I change the filter again, I will assume there were some leftover shavings from the TimeSert install.

Next time I'll try to remember what I've done to the bike before I get my panties all twisted :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Nate

The driven plates are steel not aluminum,that does look like a little too many shavings.That drain hole for the oil filter ,with the bolt out there is a open end that leads right into the clutch side ,outside tranny side etc.Was the inner clutch case off when you did the time insert?I am guessing not.

The driven plates are steel not aluminum,that does look like a little too many shavings.That drain hole for the oil filter ,with the bolt out there is a open end that leads right into the clutch side ,outside tranny side etc.Was the inner clutch case off when you did the time insert?I am guessing not.

It was not. It probably should have been. I'll be interested to see what the next oil change looks like.

u should look into a reusable filter, it will save u $$ in the long run. just a thought

I've been thinking that for some time. Maybe the time is right.

I've been thinking (a reusable filter) for some time. Maybe the time is right.

Step up and buy the Scotts. The quality is well worth the difference.