Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gem

coolant issues w/ a 426, my mechanic said...

11 posts in this topic

well the back story is that the last time I rode my 426 when we were done riding and loading the bikes up I saw a little puddle(a couple tablespoons maybe) of coolant under the bike in the truck bed. I took a look at the water impeller area and saw that there is a little weep hole like the water pump in a car. I was wondering if it is like an automobile where they are designed to leek a little thru the weep hole to warn you it is about to go. As I was ordering the gasket kit to replace the water pump/impeller etc, the guy who works on my bike said (in so many words or less) " sometimes those Yamahas will dribble water but then they just seems to stop" Is this true? Just wondering if I can sneak in a ride on this bike(before repairing it). I just spent two weeks riding northern MI on my 300xcw and I think it needs a break.

The weep hole is not a warning device. It's purpose is to prevent coolant from a leaking seal form mixing in with the engine oil or vice versa. And the gentleman is correct; it ain't gnna get no better on its own.

its really easy to change the seal. if the impeeler shaft is worn its a liitle more work
You keep saying that based on the fact that you got away with it once. But the practice of cranking the impeller off of the shaft from the outside with the right cover assembly still on the engine is both hazardous, since it carries the risk of breaking the drive tab off the shaft, and ineffective, since the shaft really can't be inspected well with it still in the bore.

In most cases, the shaft has enough wear on it to warrant replacing it, anyway. Not doing so usually results in the seal failing again in a much shorter time, if the seal even holds. Wear that can be felt with a fingernail is cause for replacement.

ya but 6 months later its still holding in there, the impeller wasnt really that tight on the shaft. to each his own. but it only took 5 minutes to change this way. and i guess if it still leaked after replacing it i would do the shaft. but if u can get away with just the seal then why not???:thumbsup:

... if u can get away with just the seal then why not???:thumbsup:
Because you don't know if you can until after it doesn't work.

Suppose you bought only the seal, then on Tuesday night, you break the shaft off while attempting this, and your dealer can't get one until the following Monday? Or, suppose you do the job and it simply doesn't hold at all, or worse, it looks fine at first, but lets go a half hour into your next desert race and dumps the whole load of coolant 12 miles from anywhere before you find out about it?

I'm simply advising against it. You pay your money and you take your chances. :worthy::busted:

well i have the shaft just in case, but the seal worked out for me. Gray does the delaer in your area stay open 6 days a week?

i thought most dealers closed on mondays but ours stays open 6 days a week

...does the delaer in your area stay open 6 days a week?.
Some parts houses close on Sunday/Monday. Most dealers here are open Mon-Sat, with several of the bigger ones open 7 days.