2007 YZ450 Frame crack

Bikes break, regardless. Something or other will eventually fail, unless you are not riding your bike and using it as a showroom piece. I just think some people need to get over nitpicking. These bikes are made mostly by humans, who do make mistakes. Johnny 5 is not alive, so he cannot help you. I know that from years of riding exp. that my 08 YZ450 is the best bike I have ever owned, period.:thumbsup:

Yeah your right. Buy a 2009 honda , bad clutch ( hinson fix $1350 ) , fuel injector leaking into cylinder after shut down cause fuel in the oil, bad decomp pin on cam. Man thats sounds like a great deal to me. You go out and just spent anywhere from $6500 to $7800 out the door for the bike. Then you have to go out drop atleast another $1350 for a good clutch and still deal with more possible problems with the bike. Yeah your right Ill buy a honda. stupid me for buying a proven bikes

who said anything bout buyin an 09? and every bike has its good and bad feature there boss...but a frame crack of any sort when common its not somthing u want to risk snappin on u in a landin...safty risk is much higher than that of worryin bout sumthing as relative as valves needing replaced more often then we would like...

now will i go and jump out and buy a bike this second...no coarse not, since i cked my 06 and its fine, but it still doesnt mean its rite of yamaha to not stick to somthing such as this...

btw there is a fix on those 09 decomp pins...if u member every manufacturer seems to have sum sort of recall after a major redesign...member yammie had one ont eh valves themselves in 06? suk on there efi 450s when they first came out and now honda on their decomp pins...

But has anyone heard of frame actually snapping near the steering stem?

Bikes break, regardless. Something or other will eventually fail, unless you are not riding your bike and using it as a showroom piece. I just think some people need to get over nitpicking. These bikes are made mostly by humans, who do make mistakes. Johnny 5 is not alive, so he cannot help you. I know that from years of riding exp. that my 08 YZ450 is the best bike I have ever owned, period.:thumbsup:

I feel the same. I bought an '07 last year and without a doubt it's the best bike I have ever owned, or ridden for that matter. Although my frame has held up thus far, hearing about these numerous complaints unfortunately might have steared me away from these bikes at the time. Now it's hard not to anticipate this happening every time I ride it.:usa:

Although my frame has held up thus far, hearing about these numerous complaints unfortunately might have steared me away from these bikes at the time. Now it's hard not to anticipate this happening every time I ride it.:thumbsup:

i feel the same

Numerous? How many have there been here? Two? Three? And this last one at least did not surface until after an impact that also nearly crushed an Excel rim. Is anyone talking about Excel's failures? Would anyone even consider calling a broken rim a possible CPSC complaint?

Although my frame has held up thus far, hearing about these numerous complaints unfortunately might have steared me away from these bikes at the time. Now it's hard not to anticipate this happening every time I ride it.:thumbsup:

i wouldn't stress about your frame cracking.

this guy doesn't.

who said anything bout buyin an 09? and every bike has its good and bad feature there boss...but a frame crack of any sort when common its not somthing u want to risk snappin on u in a landin...safty risk is much higher than that of worryin bout sumthing as relative as valves needing replaced more often then we would like...

now will i go and jump out and buy a bike this second...no coarse not, since i cked my 06 and its fine, but it still doesnt mean its rite of yamaha to not stick to somthing such as this...

btw there is a fix on those 09 decomp pins...if u member every manufacturer seems to have sum sort of recall after a major redesign...member yammie had one ont eh valves themselves in 06? suk on there efi 450s when they first came out and now honda on their decomp pins...

yamaha has the best valve train in the biz. usally when they go bad it cuz some1 abuse them to begin with. honda is having more issues right now then just decomp pins in the cam. em... clutch, fuel getting into the oil, and the list will probably get longer before this yr is over. I understand its the first year bike and like most will have there little problems like all bikes do. but i was expecting a little better from honda

i wouldn't stress about your frame cracking.

this guy doesn't.

I've never heard of the 2 stroke frames having this issue. Besides, I'm sure he can come up with a new ride no problem any time. In my case the bank still owns my frame.

Numerous? How many have there been here? Two? Three? And this last one at least did not surface until after an impact that also nearly crushed an Excel rim. Is anyone talking about Excel's failures? Would anyone even consider calling a broken rim a possible CPSC complaint?

Well, now that you mentioned it, here is a pic of the wheel crack(s). And from what I know the Yamaha excels are stronger than DID's, but not as strong as the over the counter excels. Hardly crushed, but still trash...

DSCF1492.jpg

Now, as far as it being rare, I ran into another Tucson rider with the same exact crack , same spot ( but about 1/2 the size). What are the odds of that?

I still think it is rare, but something everyone with an 07 or 08 should keep an eye on. I think it was a manufacturing defect that can show up with about 2 years of use on the bike.

Don't get me wrong, I like Yamaha's ( this is my third) and might even get a yamaha 2 stroke in the future. Their motors are bullet proof with routine maintenance. But I would rather hear their customer service dept. admit that there was a problem, but they still can't help instead of denying the issue! Legally, I know, that will never happen for obvious reasons.

Yes, A1-fab used the correct rods , heated , and of course ground out the entire crack.

All I can do is watch it real close and keep my fingers crossed.

Any idea what type of rod and voltage settings were used for this weld?

Helpful for those who can weld it themselves.

Also, did you have to remove everything from the frame before welding? Thanks.

Gary said he used fifty - something rods?? Whatever is recommended for that grade of aluminum, which I believe is 7000 series. No idea on voltage.

I am no welder, that's for sure...Except for basic stick welding.

I removed everything - even the rubber has tank cushions and foot pegs, since he had to heat the frame ( to what degree, I have no idea).

Gary said he used fifty - something rods?? Whatever is recommended for that grade of aluminum, which I believe is 7000 series. No idea on voltage.

I am no welder, that's for sure...Except for basic stick welding.

I removed everything - even the rubber has tank cushions and foot pegs, since he had to heat the frame ( to what degree, I have no idea).

From what i understand, preheating prevents stressing the area around the weld, and gradually reducing heat after welding prevents the material cooling too fast and becoming brittle which can lead to stress fractures.

Have limited experience on TIG, lots of experience on MIG with Lincoln 350MP. This new Lincoln will allow a push-pull reel and have seen samples of aluminum MIG that you would think was done on a TIG. Very useful in high production environments. i wonder if that's what Yamaha is doing at the factory? Nevertheless, either their process or rods need to be changed. My guess is if the weld cracked it was much harder than the surrounding material. Keep us posted on how the weld holds up. Thank you

dude, what type of riding do you do?

dude, what type of riding do you do?

I ride MX only, 40 + intermediate. The other Tucson rider I ran into with a frame crack rides 30+ intermediate.

How common is this problem, i was looking at buying an 09 Yz450 , however i am i little concerned after reading this post - should i be ?.

now i feel really stupid for putting the screws in for my hour meter. oh well i ride like a pusssy anyway

How common is this problem, i was looking at buying an 09 Yz450 , however i am i little concerned after reading this post - should i be ?.
So far, my observation has been that it is restricted to a very small number of frames in the '07 model year. As far as I know, not one single frame has actually broken, just cracked, and while it may be disturbing, it's a fairly simple, inexpensive thing to repair.

ive had my 08 for about a year and half with no cracks and boy we have had some tough landings and hard hits.my 09 is fine two,if they do break ill just go have them fixed and keep riding and buying yamaha's cant wait for the 2010:banana: to me it sounds like a bunch of nick picking,nobody can really find nothing wrong with them so they might as well cry about something.my sons mini quads frame broke in half while he was racing,come to find out alot of parents have had this happen on the quad web sites but nobody complains they just go buy the gusset kit and keep racing.i love motocross and everything about dirtbikes ,and i hope yamaha keeps making the best bikes period:thumbsup: buy the way when i was a kid raced yami's but got away from them for many years with lots of heartache from the others now there is only one brand :thumbsup:

now i feel really stupid for putting the screws in for my hour meter. oh well i ride like a pusssy anyway

That's funy!