2007 YZ450 Frame crack

I read the August 08 MXA article on the 08 YZ450f "60 inside secrets"... and saw the pictures of the frame cracks, after seeing this...I noticed a 1.5" crack located on the right bottom side of the steering head tube directly on the weld bead on my 07 YZ450. I called Yamaha Customer Support, they told me that cracking is not unusual with an aluminum frame motocross bike and not associated with any weld or quality defect. Further I asked if this issue has been addressed on the 09 YZ's (because I want to buy an 09) - again the answer was "there is no weld issue".

I then asked if they could provide me the type of cast aluminum alloy to ensure I use the correct weld filler material (and heat treat if necessary) when I have the crack repaired- I was told - "this is proprietary, just give your frame to a welder - he will know what to use".

I was a bit distressed at the response.

Just wondering, anyone else has frame cracks in this location? If so, did Yamaha provide any support?

My friend just got a new frame from Yamaha, but he had a dealer contact them on his behalf. Maybe you can get help from the dealer you are planning to buy your 09 from. His frame only had about a 2" hairline crack.

I used the same approach by getting my dealer involved. The dealer called Yamaha on my behalf, but the response was that "there is no frame crack issue". Was your friends bike an 08 or 07?

Do not waste time with Yamaha customer NO Friggin Service #

Get your dealer to reach out to the Yamaha Regional Manager (technical service Mgr or sales) or Dealer rep and get this resolved. I have not heard of one cracked Alum frame that has not been swapped out. If your contact at the dealer is incapable of making this happen - go to the owner of the dealership.

post picks, even if we can't see the crack at least we can see the exact location of the the crack.

i would simply prove there is a crack, then have your Yamaha dealer give you a written statement that their is no issue and your frame is safe.

but make sure to get it in writing on Yamaha letter head.

His bike is a 2007. There was no charge for the frame but we had to do the labor. If you end up changing yours, we found out that if you heat the steering head with a torch the races pop right out.

this is a world wide problem that Yamaha Denise. I own a wr450f that has brocken in half when it was 6 months old and Yamaha will not fix it. I have also sean many other cracked Yamaha's. R6, R1, fz1, wr450f yz450f yz250f.

Good thing I have a steel dino:banana:

THis just happened to me (after 2+ years), on my 07. My dealer is out of business. Should I pursue a frame replacement with yamaha directly, or would it be complete waste of time??

DSCF1418.jpg

Any updates on your efforts, Jpeezler? Did you have it welded and did it hold?

from what i know any frame will crack if ridden realy hard. especialy those light alu frames.

but that weld crack is shame on the manufacturer.

Wow I'm going to have to check my bike and see if I have any cracks!!

This is an issue with a handfull of YZF's. Yamaha has been going good for these. You must make the claim through the dealer. A good dealer who cares about customer service will be able to get you a new frame (whether you bought the bike there or not).

The problem was in the welding procedure that Yami used. No matter what you hear from a lazy dealer who doesn't want to invest the effort on your behalf, they are completely aware of this problem at the Yamaha Factory.

Good luck.

I know quite a bit about welding as my father has been doing it for over 25 years and I was always around the shop or welding myself. Those cracks are def the fault of the welder, as they are cracks on the bead of the weld. The weld was simply not strong enough to endure whatever you were doing on the bike. It looks like the welder did not get the proper penetration of the weld, or simply did not run enough passes on those stressed areas. Yamaha could of fixed this by running a stronger pass or a multi pass beads on stressed areas of the frame. You can fix this, if you take it to a reputable aluminum tig welder. I am going to check my frame now to see if I have any hairline cracks, sorry guys about your frames, they are over $1200.00 to buy.

THanks for the info, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. If yamaha doesn't replace, I will have it welded, but I feel like they should replace it since it was the weld.

I will keep this thread updated when all is said and done.

I personally will not buy a new frame tho, I just assume part it out considering the price of a frame. Not a good bang for your buck.

wow.. going home tonight and checking my frame.. this is actually my first time hearing about something like this.

Yamaha will replace it. Be persistant...

THanks for the info, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. If yamaha doesn't replace, I will have it welded, but I feel like they should replace it since it was the weld.

I will keep this thread updated when all is said and done.

I personally will not buy a new frame tho, I just assume part it out considering the price of a frame. Not a good bang for your buck.

Just rechecked mine again, NO CRACKS!:worthy: I will be checking it often however!:lol:

Yamaha will replace it. Be persistant...

Well the official word is a no from Yamaha customer service, and the local dealer called as well and got a no, with Yamaha's explaination that they had replace some frames that were 1 year old or newer, but since mine is over 2 years old, they can't do it.

About what I expected and I am not going to waste anymore energy with Yamaha. As a matter of fact, I will never buy another bike directly from Yamaha. ( A good used bike, yes).

I have done some research and found no issues with the 2 stroke frames.

Maybe a good used 2 stroke. There might be some good used parts for sale soon, since the rest of the bike ( expept for the front rim!) in in very good condition.

That's a poor bead on that weld joint!!! Try a different dealer?

Yeah well your dealer is full of it. Go to a different dealer. One with customer service that counts. One that has pull with Yami or knows how to get around the year of the bike being an issue. A creative dealer will help you out trust me. Try another dealer.

Well the official word is a no from Yamaha customer service, and the local dealer called as well and got a no, with Yamaha's explaination that they had replace some frames that were 1 year old or newer, but since mine is over 2 years old, they can't do it.

About what I expected and I am not going to waste anymore energy with Yamaha. As a matter of fact, I will never buy another bike directly from Yamaha. ( A good used bike, yes).

I have done some research and found no issues with the 2 stroke frames.

Maybe a good used 2 stroke. There might be some good used parts for sale soon, since the rest of the bike ( expept for the front rim!) in in very good condition.