Best bike for enduros

I know this might have been beat to death but I cannot seem to decide between the 2008 wr 450 and the 2008 wr 250. I know it will be one or the other. I have rode the Northwest Enduro Series from 2000 to 2005 on a 2000 kdx 220, a 2001 ktm 200 exc and current bike is a 2004 250 exc with sx engine mods. I want to ride a 4 stroke next year. I have ridden a ktm 450 exc some and it doesn't seem too much when hard trail riding, but a 3 hour enduro would be a different animal. I don't know anybody with a wr 250 and most of the dealers say I would be dissapointed with the 250's power. But sometimes less is more? But I don't want a 4 stroke that has to ridden like a 2 stroke to make power. I'd sure like the advice of some of you tight woods guys. By the way I'm 5'7, 185 lbs. Thanks.

Deja Vu

450 will tire you out after 3hrs of strait racing, but you can always hit the gym.

btw, I sold my 250f and got a 450f, because IMHO 450's are just plain more fun to play with.

its got to be about what you like. I say, test ride both bikes, find someone willing, give 'em 5 bucks or something if you must, and then make a decision.

everyone can go night and day telling you about these bikes... but thats TELLING YOU. you might think different and not like your choice. the worst bike is one you regret riding

I know this might have been beat to death but I cannot seem to decide between the 2008 wr 450 and the 2008 wr 250. I know it will be one or the other. I have rode the Northwest Enduro Series from 2000 to 2005 on a 2000 kdx 220, a 2001 ktm 200 exc and current bike is a 2004 250 exc with sx engine mods. I want to ride a 4 stroke next year. I have ridden a ktm 450 exc some and it doesn't seem too much when hard trail riding, but a 3 hour enduro would be a different animal. I don't know anybody with a wr 250 and most of the dealers say I would be dissapointed with the 250's power. But sometimes less is more? But I don't want a 4 stroke that has to ridden like a 2 stroke to make power. I'd sure like the advice of some of you tight woods guys. By the way I'm 5'7, 185 lbs. Thanks.

thats a pretty good question?

my bike is purely for recreation, and the 450 power is super fun and pretty easy to manage.

edit: btw. you'll be disapointed by the power of either bike untill you do the free mods. I hear the wr250 is extra gutless, but is pretty sick once un corked.

I can't comment first hand on the 250 but I've heard there pretty much gutless.

I race an 07 450 in the BC PNWMA series.I would suspect much the same tight gnarly woods as you.

It's a bit of a pig weight wise in the tight slow stuff, first gear slime and twisty's. It's alot better if you steer with the rear. The bike has a really low center of gravity feeling though so anything faster the feeling is really planted and stable.

With this the ground clearance can be an issue on this bike in ruts, logs, rocks.

Power is smooth and easy to handle for a 450 and all being said I can ride this bike in gnarlier terrain than any other big 4 stroke I've ridden and it goes pretty fast in the races too :thumbsup:

If I was to get a bike strictly for racing I would steer towards a 300 2 stroke.

But my WR race bike is plated :worthy:

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 450 cause it will proboubly be more fun for everyday riding.Truth is my 250 exc is a great bike for racing. But I have always wanted the wr 450 and a local dealer has one for $5495.00. I just dont want to hate it when it gets ugly.

It's only on the really tight side to side were you will feel the weight. Or if you have to lift it....

The Estart saves alot of energy though.

I've never ridden a 450EXC for comparison. I have ridden the old 400 and it definately blows that, but that's old tech.

It's only on the really tight side to side were you will feel the weight. Or if you have to lift it....

The Estart saves alot of energy though.

I've never ridden a 450EXC for comparison. I have ridden the old 400 and it definately blows that, but that's old tech.

the new EXC engine puts out more power now, and broader. they just went to a short stroke engine. but thats not ktms gem, its the 6 speed

250f's are not gutless, nor are they slow and unfun. they are quite fun bikes, can beat 450's around SX tracks.

but. MO POWER come MO FUN :thumbsup: especially in strait lines

***, you can have only one bike in Cali?

Seems like a no brainer to me. Keep the KTM, buy the WR.

$5495... what year? New, I assume?

***, you can have only one bike in Cali?

Seems like a no brainer to me. Keep the KTM, buy the WR.

$5495... what year? New, I assume?

i would go the new ktm 400 much lighter than the 450 and nearly the same power thats my 2 bucks worth

the new EXC engine puts out more power now, and broader. they just went to a short stroke engine. but thats not ktms gem, its the 6 speed

250f's are not gutless, nor are they slow and unfun. they are quite fun bikes, can beat 450's around SX tracks.

but. MO POWER come MO FUN :thumbsup: especially in strait lines

I didn't say 250f's are gutless.

I said I heard the WR250 is beyond gutless. Maybe more like anemic.

And yes my point was obviously the power and handling of the new 450EXC blows an old 400.

And yes all offroad bikes should come with a six speed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 450 cause it will proboubly be more fun for everyday riding.Truth is my 250 exc is a great bike for racing. But I have always wanted the wr 450 and a local dealer has one for $5495.00. I just dont want to hate it when it gets ugly.

An 07 for 5495.00 is a good deal! If it is an 08 then, I would go buy it right now! I paid 6900.00 for my 08 in Kalifornia.

As far as enduro racing goes the bike is a little heavy! Like the Captain says you might need to hit the GYM to compensate for the raw power and, weight. The other thing that will help is proper bike set up handlebars, suspension, etc! Don't be skerd the new WR is a great bike! here is a pic of me finishing this years Idaho City qualifier. DSC00532.jpg

I ride my wr450 in enduros. I have mixed feelings about it sometimes.

Its a lot easier to ride than my 2 stroke, but its a lot heavier. But the faster I go on it, the lighter it is. If you are in an enduro and you are in a fast section (24mph or more), you will not feel the weight of the 450. In the 14mph sections and slow technical suff, it starts to get heavy. But its still not bad. Where it really gets heavy is when you drop it and have to pick it up.

I have an 05, which is not as good as your 08 wr450. I ride in the senior novice © class and my bike works pretty good for me. But, you MUST be in pretty good riding shape to handle that 450 for 3 or more hours straight. If you are, then no problem at all. If not... you'll be complaining.

Since you already have the exc, then get the 450. Maybe you can get it plated and do some dual sport rides also. You'll have the best of both worlds.

btw.... I think that the wr450 will absolutely wear you out if you don't have your suspension setup correctly.

Why not get the ktm450? Its a great bike.

have you noticed, that since the bike is heavier, it tends to not be pushed off course by rocks as much, my 250 bounced everywhere, and 20lbs and 200cc's more, it pushes rock, tracks straiter.

more weight can be an advantage at higher speeds if your suspension is good enough for you not to notice the weight difference, cause it is harder and overheats your suspension faster. but set it up good and it will feel BETTER than a 250f. and you can take this to the bank, cause all I ride is desert, high speed stuff, and its an awesome feeling knowing your bike is an immovable object.

but yeah, you can feel the heavy ness going slow, doesn't affect me cause I go to the gym 5 days a week, and work on my muscle endurance. so I'm not buff:cry: but I can hold on a real long time.

hope this helps

I ride my wr450 in enduros. I have mixed feelings about it sometimes.

Its a lot easier to ride than my 2 stroke, but its a lot heavier. But the faster I go on it, the lighter it is. If you are in an enduro and you are in a fast section (24mph or more), you will not feel the weight of the 450. In the 14mph sections and slow technical suff, it starts to get heavy. But its still not bad. Where it really gets heavy is when you drop it and have to pick it up.

I have an 05, which is not as good as your 08 wr450. I ride in the senior novice © class and my bike works pretty good for me. But, you MUST be in pretty good riding shape to handle that 450 for 3 or more hours straight. If you are, then no problem at all. If not... you'll be complaining.

Since you already have the exc, then get the 450. Maybe you can get it plated and do some dual sport rides also. You'll have the best of both worlds.

btw.... I think that the wr450 will absolutely wear you out if you don't have your suspension setup correctly.

Why not get the ktm450? Its a great bike.

Great info. here. Pros and cons to every bike. My brother who rides a 450exc and can flat haul the mail says he thinks the weight of the 450 can be an advantage. But every once in a while he talks about getting another 300 exc. Like the capt. says it won't deflect off everything. I do mountain bike a couple times a week and hit the gym 3 times a week so I am pretty fit just a little sawed off at 5'7". I think I'll get the 450 and if it becomes too much sell it and regroup. $5495.00 plus haggling for the rest seems like too good of a deal for an '08 450. I'll keep the 250 for abit and sell it on my own. Thanks for all the advice.

I doubt you will sell a WR450F, honestly, I've ridden 450's and rode a WR450F for the first time, and was amazed at how little difference the 'WEIGHT' actually was. it made me want a 450, but yamaha didn't offer what I really wanted, so I went with KTM, and there new 450 is amazing as well.

anyways. YAMAHA makes an orgasmic bike called a WR450 and when it is uncorked, man does it change your outlook on life... blurry. ahahaha.

but be careful, my friend didn't respect his 450 for 1 sec and it threw him off and bent in half. so YOU MUST... ABSOLUTELY MUST. respect its power

Great info. here. Pros and cons to every bike. My brother who rides a 450exc and can flat haul the mail says he thinks the weight of the 450 can be an advantage. But every once in a while he talks about getting another 300 exc. Like the capt. says it won't deflect off everything. I do mountain bike a couple times a week and hit the gym 3 times a week so I am pretty fit just a little sawed off at 5'7". I think I'll get the 450 and if it becomes too much sell it and regroup. $5495.00 plus haggling for the rest seems like too good of a deal for an '08 450. I'll keep the 250 for abit and sell it on my own. Thanks for all the advice.

anyways. YAMAHA makes an orgasmic bike called a WR450 and when it is uncorked, man does it change your outlook on life... blurry. ahahaha.

Truer words were never spoken

I think the WR 450f is alot of work in the tight stuff. Being that 80% of the riding I do is hillclimbs and more open terrain its the right tool for the job. That other 20% riding I do I just live with the excess power. I'm a big boy (weight wise) so the weight of the bike doesn't bother me one bit...the WR is a feather compared to my previous bike.

With that said if I was strictly racing hair scrambles in tight terrain a yz 250f with a recluse would be my weapon of choice. Less weight, less complexity, more power, and better handling than the WR 250f right out of the box. Yeah the clutch is fun for play riding, but I think I'd be to busy concentrating on trying to go fast to dick around w/ the clutch lever. How badly do you need the wide ratio gearbox and e start?

One of the salesmen said both of the WRs are dogs that weigh too much and that I should get a yzf 250 for the weight reduction and power. But I have stalled bikes on hills or other obstacles and had to start with my left leg. I don't think I want to be trying to start a yzf in that spot. Maybe it wouldn't be bad ,but watching the pros trying to light em back up when there hot doesn't look like fun. With an automatic clutch doesn't your bike roll back down the hill without the brake on? The wide ratio tranny and four stroke motor i'm thinking will let me roll the power on and off instead of constant shifting and braking. My 200 exc was fun but it was a work out because it constanly had to be shifted.

One of the salesmen said both of the WRs are dogs that weigh too much

he's full of sh1t. My wr450 is uncorked and let me tell you, it's anything but an underpowered dog. coming from a 200cc 2-stroke, you'd love the explosive power delivery from an uncorked wr450, it's hard to describe, it's something that needs to be experienced first hand. for off-road racing I can't think of any other bike I'd rather ride than my wr450. Try to ride someone's wr450 and you'll be instantly convinced on which bike to buy.

I don't think I want to be trying to start a yzf in that spot. Maybe it wouldn't be bad ,but watching the pros trying to light em back up when there hot doesn't look like fun.

Its not that bad when the jetting is dialed and proper technique is used. But the auto clutch practically eliminates the possibility of a stall when set up correctly.

With an automatic clutch doesn't your bike roll back down the hill without the brake on?

Yes' date=' but how often are you in that situation? Are there things you can do to avoid such a perdicament?

The wide ratio tranny and four stroke motor i'm thinking will let me roll the power on and off instead of constant shifting and braking. My 200 exc was fun but it was a work out because it constanly had to be shifted.

You'd be surprised how well the yz 250f works in the woods. Because the powerband is so broad it really doesn't need that much shifting attention.