426 Running HOT! Any Advise.

My 2002 WR426 runs hot. I'm not sure if this is normal but I don't think so. I can't ride a slow trail in 1st for too long or it will boil over after a few minutes (80'F air temp. for 5 min). With higher speed riding it will stay around 190-210'F.

I recently replaced coolant with Engine Ice and I don't see a noticable difference.

My left radiator is tweaked a bit with maybe 3 or 4 rows of fins squished out of 12 total but no leaks. Would this have a large enough impact?

A little radiator tweak that size wont hurt you. You should check your Radiator cap and make sure it is sealing. If it isn’t then the water will boil over a lot sooner. Also check your carb and be sure that it isn’t dirty or running lean. Check air fuel mixture screw and jets.

yah perhaps a new cap would be a good thing if its boiling below 265-275 deg F which is approaching max for a pressurized system that has a good cap, before boiling out coolant. What are you using to monitor the temp? I have a Vapor and they claim it is accurate. On a hot day (90+), mine runs 175-200 going 25-40 mph but heats up quick doing 1st gear for over a minute or two. I hit 240 last time out doing 10 mph technical stuff, so I shut it off for 15 minutes and let it cool down. However I have a 3.2 gallon IMS tank on it so that doesn't allow as good of cooling behind the radiator. These buggers sure need air flow through the rads!

The previous owner put in 170 main, the needle clip at 3, and a 42 pilot. I think, only because I found his notes in the manual. I also just found that the pilot screw is MISSING! I ride at 2000 ft with mild temps 70-80'F. THanks for any advise.

The pilot screw is a fuel screw (meaning the farther out it is the richer the mixture) so I'm not 100% sure what would happen if it was missing but i would think it would suck air and cause a lean condition. I guess there is a chance it could cause a rich condition too and this too can make a bike run hot. Have you taken it on a good run and pulled the plug to read it?

I haven't pulled the plug to do a color check. I should it's just a pain from what I can tell with the Clark aftermarket tank hanging in the way.

The header pipe isn't in contact with the rad but it is in close proximatey by design.

I got the new pilot fuel screw, Moose Zypty Screw complete set with oring, spring and washer. I installed it on Saturday and rode 70+ miles of trails yesterday. MUCH MUCH better. I didn't over heat once even on the tight technical stuff. It does still run a bit hot but nothing like before.

I'm thinking it must have been suckin air by the missing screw causing a lean/hot condition.

Thanks everyone for your awesome feedback.