deciding

currently looking for a bike to replace my XR400, i am considering a 450 trail orientated bike. I like the look of the aluminum frame of the crf 450x however they arnt any here in ontario for cheaper than 6k. I put up a wanted ad and got a reply for a 03 WR 450f with a fresh motor (i'm guessing rebuilt?). Hes going to send me pics later. I would prefer a Honda bike since all my gear is red but if the 03 WR450f is a good bike and at a good price i may go for it.

Ive read about the steel frames on the earlier models being not so good, is there anyother reason to not to buy a 03 wr450f? Also what would be a good Canadian price for it, since he did not say what hes asking.

Thanks

The 03's aren't bad at all. Coming off that xr, it will feel like a racehorse. It will weigh less, make more power, and have a magic button. In Ca. you can expect to pay around 2500-2800 for a nice clean bike that is pretty stock. If my math is correct, that would be around 2 million Canadian dollars.

currently looking for a bike to replace my XR400, i am considering a 450 trail orientated bike. I like the look of the aluminum frame of the crf 450x however they arnt any here in ontario for cheaper than 6k. I put up a wanted ad and got a reply for a 03 WR 450f with a fresh motor (i'm guessing rebuilt?). Hes going to send me pics later. I would prefer a Honda bike since all my gear is red but if the 03 WR450f is a good bike and at a good price i may go for it.

Ive read about the steel frames on the earlier models being not so good, is there anyother reason to not to buy a 03 wr450f? Also what would be a good Canadian price for it, since he did not say what hes asking.

Thanks

All the WR's are great, even the steel framed ones. I have one and it does everything very well. It will take me quite a while to catch up to its capabilities.

If the price is right, you should get it. You will never have to adjust the valves on it. Its a solid engine.

You were only kidding about the gear, right?

You will never have to adjust the valves on it.

QUOTE]

Thats a bold quote maurice! ?

Take it from someone that recently had to use 5 shims to get the bastard running properly, that you more than likely will need to shim it.

Are you thinking about one of the new 300 EXCe ktms too?

No not really, there's not many for sale, they don't got the 4stroke torque I like,I've read that the 300exc bikes are for primarily tight trails which is not what ride, I ride slot of Atv trails therefore I think the 450would be best for me.

Are you thinking about one of the new 300 EXCe ktms too?

Of course I am. Isn't everyone? I need two bikes to do what that one bike will do.

I am a 4 stroke rider (yes, theres a difference). But I was in love with that KTM300 before they came out with the e-start. I have ridden a few and WOW.

If I was forced to have only one bike, that would be it. But damn... its expensive!

No not really, there's not many for sale, they don't got the 4stroke torque I like,I've read that the 300exc bikes are for primarily tight trails which is not what ride, I ride slot of Atv trails therefore I think the 450would be best for me.

Not true about the ktm300 being primarily for tight trails. It can be a handful on a super tight trail, just like a 450 is. I think that the ktm has great all around capabilities, just like the 450, its just lighter. Nothing has 4 stroke like torque, but it has more than enough. The 450 is a lot easier to ride for the less experienced pilot. You don't always have to be in the right gear and you can control it better.

I agree that the 450 is a great choice for riding lots of atv trails.

I meant to say 300xcw-e, but you got the idea. Yeah, those things are so sweet, and yes, I think everyone wants one. I heard that you can't buy one anywhere, and that they are pretty much already sold out for next year too. I got to sit on one a few months back, down at Scuderia West, in SF, and man was it awesome. There were the usual crappy aspects like the ktm kickstand we all know will break in ten minutes, and the rock hard seat, but other than that the thing is ready to go. Put some handguards on, and you're done. The earlier ktms had that great 300 motor, but the ergos have greatly improved in my book. My buddy has an 00 300 exc and that thing is massive. I like the motor on his bike, but that's about it. The new ones fit me (I'm 5'10") much better, but I'm sure that the big beasts like David Knight are probably bummed. If you make one of those 300's appear, let me know. I'm waiting two more years. I want shock linkage and that new ktm frame.

I meant to say 300xcw-e, but you got the idea. Yeah, those things are so sweet, and yes, I think everyone wants one. I heard that you can't buy one anywhere, and that they are pretty much already sold out for next year too. I got to sit on one a few months back, down at Scuderia West, in SF, and man was it awesome. There were the usual crappy aspects like the ktm kickstand we all know will break in ten minutes, and the rock hard seat, but other than that the thing is ready to go. Put some handguards on, and you're done. The earlier ktms had that great 300 motor, but the ergos have greatly improved in my book. My buddy has an 00 300 exc and that thing is massive. I like the motor on his bike, but that's about it. The new ones fit me (I'm 5'10") much better, but I'm sure that the big beasts like David Knight are probably bummed. If you make one of those 300's appear, let me know. I'm waiting two more years. I want shock linkage and that new ktm frame.

Who cares about the shock linkage thing. I've ridden a 2003 ktm 300 up a few pretty nasty rocky hills and also though some massive never ending whoops. There's nothing wrong with that suspension. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it sure seems to work for a heck of a lot of people.

I went to price one and they wanted me to put down $1000 and wait a few months for the next one to arrive. It didn't have estart but they said I could have it added at the same cost as buying it up front. Instead of waiting, I took $1200 and bought the yz250.

So instead of one "do it all" bike, I've got a bike for different situations. One for trail riding, one for racing.

As much as I drool over the ktm300's, I cannot just give up on my wr450. Its a great bike. I think I'll get the ktm300 when my wr450 decides to blow up. That means I will be waiting for quite a while (which is the main reason I love the yamaha)

Yeah, the reliability factor is huge with the Yami's, and that is one of the main reason that I have two of em. They do have much nicer suspension stock than the ktms though. I have had two ktm 2 strokes in the past, an 02 125sx and a 95 300exc, and the suspension would my major complaint. But oh boy can ktm squeeze power out of a two stroke motor. I would ride my friends yz125 around a bit while I had my sx and the suspension on the yz was far superior. The ktm motor was the better of the two though. And we do all know that it's easier to make a slow bike faster, than it is to make bike that doesn't want to handle, handle. The 95 exc, well, it was a 95 so I guess that'll get it off the hook all by itself. I will be curious to see what ktm does though, and whether the linkage thing shows up in 2010 or not. I will also be curious to see what happens to the weight of the bikes as they change over as well, because ktm claims to be able to save as much as seven pounds by not using linkage. Who knows, it may suck, and I may be left looking for a used 2008 model in 2010. Either way, I bet that finding a deal on one will be tough.

I have an 03 WR 450 that is for sale in Calif. I purchased a new 08 WR 450. I am the 2nd owner of the 03. I rode it for 3 yrs, did regular maintenance. It has been to Baja, the calif desert and clear creek where I used to ride. The bike is bulletproof. I have stopped checking the valve adjustment. The last time I checked the valves they were in specs and still have not needed any adjustment. The bike has never let me down has always ran well. If it was not for the great deal I got on the new one I would have never purchased another. I still ride the 03 when we go into the Sierra Mtns around here. (rocky). It will be a big improvement over the reliable XR. You would expect to pay $2500 to $3000 around here for an 03 WR 450. $ 4100 sounds high to me, you could put some money on top of that and find yourself an 07 with the aluminum frame. Just my 2 cents.

Who cares about the shock linkage thing. I've ridden a 2003 ktm 300 up a few pretty nasty rocky hills and also though some massive never ending whoops. There's nothing wrong with that suspension. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it sure seems to work for a heck of a lot of people.

I went to price one and they wanted me to put down $1000 and wait a few months for the next one to arrive. It didn't have estart but they said I could have it added at the same cost as buying it up front. Instead of waiting, I took $1200 and bought the yz250.

So instead of one "do it all" bike, I've got a bike for different situations. One for trail riding, one for racing.

As much as I drool over the ktm300's, I cannot just give up on my wr450. Its a great bike. I think I'll get the ktm300 when my wr450 decides to blow up. That means I will be waiting for quite a while (which is the main reason I love the yamaha)

If you guy'sdo get a 300 KTM you sure wont be dissapointed, I've only ridden my 08 300 for 2 full days in anger so far do to work but it's a brilliant machine and as you say nothing wrong with the suspension.

After 2 years on the WR its a revelation, I would say the handling is the most impressive characteristic and after a long ride I'm less tired on the 300 than my WR450.

mikkeythefokker: Knighter actually runs with the stock bar position set up, no bar raisers, I found this out on a KTM enduro school in the UK a few weeks ago. I'm 6'2" and find it very comfortable sitting and standing.

Oops bit of a thread hi-jack here, just read the original post - sorry!

the KTM300 puts out peak power like a 250, but doesn't have a two stroke hit, its smooth like a 450 all around.

the 300EXC(e) has one flaw... 5 speed. KTM, what were you thinking?

Of course I am. Isn't everyone? I need two bikes to do what that one bike will do.

I am a 4 stroke rider (yes, theres a difference). But I was in love with that KTM300 before they came out with the e-start. I have ridden a few and WOW.

If I was forced to have only one bike, that would be it. But damn... its expensive!

Not true about the ktm300 being primarily for tight trails. It can be a handful on a super tight trail, just like a 450 is. I think that the ktm has great all around capabilities, just like the 450, its just lighter. Nothing has 4 stroke like torque, but it has more than enough. The 450 is a lot easier to ride for the less experienced pilot. You don't always have to be in the right gear and you can control it better.

I agree that the 450 is a great choice for riding lots of atv trails.

almost any 300, any KTM 250/300 2t can be estarted from 00-06, this year is an option, and the kit is like 500 dollars

Yamaha has THE MOST reliable mx four stroke engine by far. there valves rarely need be touched, they make great power, not just peak, but smooth linear power thats easy to ride with.

the 450X also makes great power, it feels good, but just runs out of rpms too fast, so when the power starts to feel real good, ra ra ra, the rev limiter kicks in. and there suspension doesn't feel nearly as stable as a Yamaha in my opinion and tend to plow through whoops, but that was really just the poor throttle response of a untuned FCR and me trying to wheelie the bike over the whoops.

I would also check out yamaha's WR250F, my old one beat, gear for gear, a stock XR600R, and it kept up stride for stride when it got its super trap. they are great bikes that are more than capable of ATV trails and you will feel faster on one being able to go Wide Open Throttle more often.

but if power wheeling for a mile is what you like to do. then get the WR450F. it will pull a wheelie in any gear, at least a well tuned one will with just a new exhaust.

I didn't realize that he was riding a bike with the stock control setup. I would have figured that he'd have some sort of riser/ offset deal going on. I guess it doesn't matter. That guy could smoke me on a pw50.

If you guy'sdo get a 300 KTM you sure wont be dissapointed, I've only ridden my 08 300 for 2 full days in anger so far do to work but it's a brilliant machine and as you say nothing wrong with the suspension.

After 2 years on the WR its a revelation, I would say the handling is the most impressive characteristic and after a long ride I'm less tired on the 300 than my WR450.

mikkeythefokker: Knighter actually runs with the stock bar position set up, no bar raisers, I found this out on a KTM enduro school in the UK a few weeks ago. I'm 6'2" and find it very comfortable sitting and standing.

Oops bit of a thread hi-jack here, just read the original post - sorry!

I for some reason never like to WOT a bike, Thats why i think the 450f bikes would be best. Im currently looking at

2003 WR450f, rebuilt motor for 4100

2004 WR450f, Wicked decals and acerbis light 4200

2006 WR450F, not sure $???

Ya ya i know 4100 wow! that expensive for your american standards but here in canada its fair (And it all works out, i can sell my CRF 230 for $ 3200 and i bought a xr400 for $4500(expensive i know) But im getting the 4500 back from the insurance since it was involved in a car crash (on a trailer) So Its like trading my 2004 XR400 for a 2004 WR450F + $300 extra in my pocket. <In that sense it doesnt sound too expensive lol.