HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gdbarr1976

yz to wr ignition swap(need baja lights)

52 posts in this topic

I know this is not easy but I am a desperate man.

I have a 08yz450f. I need Baja caliber lighting. I have a trail tech 8"hid light and a moose 50w stator. Doesnt work. Just not enough power.

So, my options are buy a wr or...

To buy a wr I would have to sell my yz and take a bath. Plus, when I am done I still will have a bike with old forks.

So I need to do the yz to wr crank, ignition swap. Has anyone actually done this? Will I also need a cdi box? Can I also work in the electric start also? Will I have to replace the whole crank or just one end. Will this really work?

Here's the best information I currently have. To run a WR stator, you need a WR ignition cover, and a WR flywheel. To do it as a bolt-on, you need the WR crank. Then, you will find that the WR has a single circuit in the Stator, whereas the YZ has two. Unless you either rewind the stator with the same circuit in it, the YZ CDI will likely not function.

In the log run, it may just be simpler to start with a WR.

Here's the best information I currently have. To run a WR stator, you need a WR ignition cover, and a WR flywheel. To do it as a bolt-on, you need the WR crank. Then, you will find that the WR has a single circuit in the Stator, whereas the YZ has two. Unless you either rewind the stator with the same circuit in it, the YZ CDI will likely not function.

In the log run, it may just be simpler to start with a WR.

I would love to start with a wr. The problem is I have a 08yz with about 20hrs on it. I might be able to get $4500. Maybe. They just not moving. A 07 wr new from my dealer cost would be $6200. That is a 07. With 05forks.

Crank, side cover, ignition and cdi box I am GUESSING $700. Plus I can pay for it all with yz bucks. I am willing to give it a try IF it will bolt up. How sure are you that the wr crank will fit. Can I add the e start at the same time?

I'm reasonably certain it will fit. The e-start depends on whether the hard points on the engine are correct for the starter, and whether the socket for the idler gear shaft is machined into the crankcase.

Your parts are likely to be more like $1000 less anything to do with the starter.

I'm reasonably certain it will fit. The e-start depends on whether the hard points on the engine are correct for the starter, and whether the socket for the idler gear shaft is machined into the crankcase.

Your parts are likely to be more like $1000 less anything to do with the starter.

I will let you know how much it cost. I'm going in.

Just fyi. I have ordered a wr crank end, wr fywheel, wr side cover, trail tech 100w stator and mini battery pack. These parts total with a 20% disc from my dealer is $750. A hid 35w baja light and rectifier, $550. The trail tech guys says I will not need to change out my yz cdi. Good thing because that would be another $200. Its not going to be cheap or easy but when it is done I will have kick ass Baja capable lights on my 08 yz450f...I hope.

The trail tech guys says I will not need to change out my yz cdi.
Did they explain how to connect the 4 pins on the YZF CDI to the two available leads on the WR stator? This is getting interesting.

Did they explain how to connect the 4 pins on the YZF CDI to the two available leads on the WR stator? This is getting interesting.

well no. They just said it work and that would be good since it would.

Retain the yz ignition mapping.

Gary - when you get your parts, please let us know if that WR flywheel will fit onto the YZ crank. I know Gray and I are really looking to do this also, but hopefully without having to split the cases and mod or replace the crank.

Also - what did Trail Tech tell you specifically about plugging the wr stator into the yz cdi? Obviously a little wire modification will have to be done - any more details on that at all?

The thing with the stators is this:

Not counting the ignition trigger coil, which is the same in both units, the YZF stator has 4 leads coming from it to the CDI, with no grounds at the stator. The WR has two leads in a harness and a ground at the stator. How the connections are to be made to the YZ CDI is an important little tidbit.

Gary - when you get your parts, please let us know if that WR flywheel will fit onto the YZ crank. I know Gray and I are really looking to do this also, but hopefully without having to split the cases and mod or replace the crank.

Also - what did Trail Tech tell you specifically about plugging the wr stator into the yz cdi? Obviously a little wire modification will have to be done - any more details on that at all?

I will check to see if the wr flywheel will fit before tearing it apart but don't think it will. I think it is to short from the way it looks on the parts blow up. The crank end is only about $170. Yes it will be work to split the cases but it seems like the best option.

All I did was ask the question, would I have to change the cdi box. The answer was no. I got the feeling it would plug right in. My moose stator was a strait plug in just not enough juice. Of course the moose stator was designed for the yz not a wr. The trail tech 100w stator is designed for a wr. I put a wr stator on my 01 yz and did have to put a wr cdi box on. I wonder if it comes down to it if I could use that cdi box???

Gary

The thing with the stators is this:

Not counting the ignition trigger coil, which is the same in both units, the YZF stator has 4 leads coming from it to the CDI, with no grounds at the stator. The WR has two leads in a harness and a ground at the stator. How the connections are to be made to the YZ CDI is an important little tidbit.

If the mechanical part of this comes together then with enough phone calls I will figure out the wires, I think.

Gary

The extra length of the WR crank is to accommodate the starter clutch assembly that is mounted to the back of the flywheel, it's my thought that the flywheel may fit the YZF crank if the clutch is not there. If so, I have a plan in mind to correct the mounting depth of the stator. The point of this would be to eliminate the need to split the cases or replace the crank.

The extra length of the WR crank is to accommodate the starter clutch assembly that is mounted to the back of the flywheel, it's my thought that the flywheel may fit the YZF crank if the clutch is not there. If so, I have a plan in mind to correct the mounting depth of the stator. The point of this would be to eliminate the need to split the cases or replace the crank.

You might just be right! Just did not think of that. Before I split the cases I will see if it fits. So that would mean fabricating a spacer the width of the clutch?

Essentially, yes. There are a few things to consider, but in the words of Bob Dylan, "Yes, I think it can be very easily done."

different taper
That may be true, however, consider the evidence:

> The '07 WR uses the same flywheel puller, woodruff key, and retaining nut as the '06-8 YZ450. The nut indicates the minor diameter of the crank taper is likely the same.

> The major diameter of the crank from the taper inward to the timing chain sprocket cannot be larger than the YZF, since the timing gear is a fixed size, and the shaft on the YZF is already as large as it be practically made.

> The taper angle is extremely unlikely to be any different, since they are fairly standard.

This obviously does not prove it will fit and seat correctly, but it is certainly worth looking into if it will make the conversion work without a crank swap.

the shaft is longer to allow for the starter drive/clutch therefore even if each end is the same size it will be of different taper. check if the crank in the 07 wr is the same as the 05 wr crank,i know for sure the 05 has a different taper than the yz did that yr.

the shaft is longer to allow for the starter drive/clutch therefore even if each end is the same size it will be of different taper. check if the crank in the 07 wr is the same as the 05 wr crank,i know for sure the 05 has a different taper than the yz did that yr.
The '03-'05 very definitely were different, but before someone has actually tried fitting the '07 WR flywheel to an '06+ YZF, there is no sense in nay-saying, is there? As I said, it's so easy to try that it's certainly worth it.

As I have posted ealier, I am trying to put baja capable lights on my yz450f. The 50w moose stator will not work. You need 100w which means a wr stator. So, I ordered a wr crank end, wr flywheel, wr side cover gaskets etc. Cost about $700. The stator I got a 100w unit from trail tech , small battery and rectifier/reg. About$220. Got all the parts in today.

This I can now tell you. The wr flywheel will NOT fit on the yz crank. It is to big. I was hoping it would but it won't. The wr side cover does fit but there is some interference with the clutch arm. I can work around that or cut off the part that the electric starter goes on. Not sure which way I am going to go on that but am leaning toward the cut off.

Will need a wr shifter.

I do not think I will need any kind of spacer since the wr flywheel

will only go on so far onto the crank end.

It looks like if I wanted to I could put on a electric start but not right now. Of course if I cut on the side cover that will end that so still thinking that through.

I think it is going to work. But here is the other issue. On my way to work yesterday I saw for sale on the side of the road in the pouring down rain a slightly used 08 wr450. I offered the guy $1000 and my 08yz in trade. No deal. How high should I go? I have $1000 into my lights so far, which I can get back at this point, and it would save me a lot of work. But, I would then have a wr, not a yz. Bad forks. Could deal with it but I want a 1st class Baja weapon.

So, do I continue on with this or make this guy a offer he cant refuse. How much is it worth?

Help me guys.

Gary