HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pooley

Wheel repair question

7 posts in this topic

While looking at the bike during its winter maintenance I noticed that the rim has bent out a little. I can only think of one time when this would have happened. That was when I misjudged a water hole and slammed the far bank luckily with no pinch flat. I have about 300 miles on the wheel since then and haven't had any problems and the tire seems to hold air pressure.

Can I just remove the tire and flatten out the rim with a mallet and board like I've done on mountain bike rims after a nasty pinch flat. Is the rim still safe or should I junk it?

Thanks,

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

Peace

Dodger :):D

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

BTW, I've heard bad things about actually trying to straighten them, some people say you can, others say it will produce a crack along the dented section........but that's all hear say, not actual hands on knowledge.

Peace

Dodger :):D

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just leave it alone.

If chicks dig scars, my WR must be the gigolo of all gigolos. It doesn't have one piece of plastic without stress marks, got a chipped headlight lens (on the inside) bent radiators and now a bent rim. Got a ripped seat cover where I was rear-ended on a trail and lots of scuff marks all over. I guess the learning curve on how to ride without crashing was a little steep at first but now I hardly ever fall over, unless I'm stopped and can't reach the ground.

Sorry the last URL was old , when you click on it ,type Wheel Truing and you will get the article I was talking about. WR Dave.