Wheel repair question

While looking at the bike during its winter maintenance I noticed that the rim has bent out a little. I can only think of one time when this would have happened. That was when I misjudged a water hole and slammed the far bank luckily with no pinch flat. I have about 300 miles on the wheel since then and haven't had any problems and the tire seems to hold air pressure.

Can I just remove the tire and flatten out the rim with a mallet and board like I've done on mountain bike rims after a nasty pinch flat. Is the rim still safe or should I junk it?

Thanks,

Don't worry about it, my rims are octogons, still work OK.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

Peace

Dodger :):D

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

BTW, I've heard bad things about actually trying to straighten them, some people say you can, others say it will produce a crack along the dented section........but that's all hear say, not actual hands on knowledge.

Peace

Dodger :):D

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just leave it alone.

If chicks dig scars, my WR must be the gigolo of all gigolos. It doesn't have one piece of plastic without stress marks, got a chipped headlight lens (on the inside) bent radiators and now a bent rim. Got a ripped seat cover where I was rear-ended on a trail and lots of scuff marks all over. I guess the learning curve on how to ride without crashing was a little steep at first but now I hardly ever fall over, unless I'm stopped and can't reach the ground.

Dodger is right , I tried to straighten a bent rim a few years ago and it cracked like an egg up the center of the bend. I used this info ( www.off-road.com/nov00rs/WheelTruing.html ) to install a new Excel rim. Good luck and Merry Christmas .. WR Dave.

Sorry the last URL was old , when you click on it ,type Wheel Truing and you will get the article I was talking about. WR Dave.