2nd guessing my decision

Its a long post

I bought an 06 WR 450 in nov. 06 and I love the bike. I know it has taken me quite some time to come th this conclusion but you know how it is. The thing is that sometimes I think I should have gone with the 250 instead. I ride mostly trails and love hillclimbing, and that is one aspect where I made the right choice because it just hauls ass up the hills. However, sometimes I feel like I could use a little less bike with less weight.

The other issue is that I also like riding light motocross. I made a track with some decent sized jumps and the soft suspension and weight are noticeable. Turns especially are difficult with the 450.

So my question herein is; is the WR 250 considerably less effective on the big hill climbs than the 450? And would the 250 be a little more motocross friendly?

Its a long post

I bought an 06 WR 450 in nov. 06 and I love the bike. I know it has taken me quite some time to come th this conclusion but you know how it is. The thing is that sometimes I think I should have gone with the 250 instead. I ride mostly trails and love hillclimbing, and that is one aspect where I made the right choice because it just hauls ass up the hills. However, sometimes I feel like I could use a little less bike with less weight.

The other issue is that I also like riding light motocross. I made a track with some decent sized jumps and the soft suspension and weight are noticeable. Turns especially are difficult with the 450.

So my question herein is; is the WR 250 considerably less effective on the big hill climbs than the 450? And would the 250 be a little more motocross friendly?

i rode a friends wr 250 05 and it lacked the roll on power of my wr 450 05 - we both bought our bikes at the same time so they were both bone stock except for the free mods.

i think your bike would ride the track much better if you set the race.

with this being said i will consider buying a yzf450 b/c i also want lighter handling and more MX friendly.

just my .02

yeah i need to have the time to adjust the suspension properly, and figure out a good "track" setting. I know the bikes are less powerful because, they are almost double the displacement. But how did the 250 compare everywhere else?

Its a long post

I used to think that a 250 would be better for me. But I now realize that the 450 is just fine. Its much lighter when I keep the suspension dialed in. If you haven't gotten your suspension done, do it now. Also, keep your momentum and you never feel the weight.

Go get yourself a couple of wr250f stickers, put 'em on and then toss that 450 'round like a ten dollar hooker! Keep your head up, keep your speed up and setup early for your turns.

STOP DROPPING IT. It feels lighter when its upright.

The 250 is a great bike in single track. Better than the 450 IMO.

If your riding more open trails the 450 is the ticket.

A buddy of mine has the 250 and has no problems with hills.

If they are technical hills, he climbs them easier than the big bores.

I have a WR250 and a 450. If I have some big hills to climb I'd always take the 250.

You can get decent horsepressure out of a WR250 but it takes time and money.

A stock WR250 is the slowest motorcycle on the planet.

Having your suspension setup will make a world of difference. A wr250 has the same suspension is only a couple pounds lighter so aren't gaining anything. Spend the 300 bucks to respring it and you'll save 3x that by not playing musical bikes and regretting it.

I would love to get my suspension done, I just can't spend the money on it yet. But other than that the top heaviness is a little overbearing on the track. but maybe suspension can fix that.

I have a WR250 and a 450. If I have some big hills to climb I'd always take the 250.

That just seems contradictory, did you mean to say 450? I'll tell you that a 250 would not perform like the 450 on the big hills, its just plain power difference. But I guess like you said that if you throw enough money at it, it will perform. I see you live in jersey, have you ever gone to Tower City? They have some good hills that would probably be too much for a 250.

My friend and I both bought new wr's in 06 I got the 450 and he got the 250 I would never trade for a WR250 and we both have done all the free mods and both have full exhaust done to the bikes. I have ridden a few yz250f's that were set up for trail riding and they are pretty fun because it feels like an bmx bike after being on a wr450 I might consider trading for one but I still think that I would miss the power of the 450. I'm sure over all I would be faster on a wr250 but I just love the torque of my 450. I just recently went riding with a guy and he had a ktm300xcw 2 stroke and that seems like a great bike light weight with good power all around.

[/That just seems contradictory, did you mean to say 450? I'll tell you that a 250 would not perform like the 450 on the big hills, its just plain power difference. QUOTE]

I prefer the 250 hands down on tough hill climbs. It's more tractable and much tougher to stall. Climbing most hills is a matter of traction and finesse not horsepower. Ever watch a trials bike go up a hill?

The 450 is fun on more open stuff

My friend and I both bought new wr's in 06 I got the 450 and he got the 250 I would never trade for a WR250 and we both have done all the free mods and both have full exhaust done to the bikes. I have ridden a few yz250f's that were set up for trail riding and they are pretty fun because it feels like an bmx bike after being on a wr450 I might consider trading for one but I still think that I would miss the power of the 450. I'm sure over all I would be faster on a wr250 but I just love the torque of my 450. I just recently went riding with a guy and he had a ktm300xcw 2 stroke and that seems like a great bike light weight with good power all around.

There's a lot of guys that choose to race a 250f in a 80mile desert race and finish better overall than guys on 450's. They say that they loose position in the open sections, but gain more in the technical sections where the trails get more difficult.

I have a 450 and a yz250. I can torque up a hill on the 450 and power up and over the big rocks. But sometimes, the 450 is riding me instead of me riding the 450. It likes to go in a straight line. On the yz250 I can slice and dice my way through the rocks,avoid the big ones, choose better lines, etc... But I have to keep my speed up. At the end, I think I am less tired on the bike with a little less power. But that's me.

If I rode wide open for speed, then I'd say the 450 was better.

+1 on the 250 only reason i got the 450 was because i tarded it

the 450 HATES single track

my buddy on an xr 200 runs me under the table when it comes to the technical stuff

but if we are faster then 30 mph he is crying

and yes the 250 is better on hill climbs, the 450 has too much torque and you have to ASSULT the hill (keep in mind we are east coast, a hill to us is 200 feet up, straight up)

250 will go just as high as a 450 . nether run out of power just traction .

your problem is probably suspension set up , a rekluse might even be a good idea to handle the 450 . i want to ride a bike that has one before i ever buy one . i dunno still a clutch fan . but im just putting it out there .

just wait till you have to lift that 450 over a 20" log , you learn to catwalk and ram them pretty fast .

According to Yamaha there is only an 11 pound difference between a250 and 450. my camel back with trail tools weighs that much. I know I know, It's the rotational mass, dead lifting 260 pounds and 271 pounds doesn't seem all that much different to me:excuseme: If I really want a lighter weight 250f I'm going with the straight YZ250 and softening up the suspension.

can't imagine there is any difference in crank and con rod from a 250 to a 450...

maybe i am wrong... ?? anyone ?

i love my 450, i am not sure but i find it handle's very nimble and light...

but maybe the alum frame? i know the bike wieghs the same.. maybe where the wieght is ?

i love the power.. i know i would be unhappy with less power:)

cheers

Warts

can't imagine there is any difference in crank and con rod from a 250 to a 450...

maybe i am wrong... ?? anyone ?

i love my 450, i am not sure but i find it handle's very nimble and light...

but maybe the alum frame? i know the bike wieghs the same.. maybe where the wieght is ?

i love the power.. i know i would be unhappy with less power:)

cheers

Warts

I agree warts I even have a steel fram Dino:lol: I'm looking at a 250F for the wife.

Good plan Charles. I bet she rides the bike once and then it's yours.

But I'm still not going to give up any of my 250 secrets.

I think the 2fitty carries it's weight lower and less metal is spinning around inside it so it's easier to handle.

I love my little 250 and in about 2 hours I'll be out rapeing nature on it.