Engine locked up

Well guys I another call from the Dealership yesterday and the mechanic told me that it would need a new cylinder too plus many other parts, such as over $1500. in parts alone. He told me that who had the bike before of which I will not say there name, that they had messed this bike up as to the point as ther was many kinks in the timming chain and they had added a bolt to the cam chain tensioner to get more slack out and there was alot of crudd in the bottomend also. We had just bought the bike 5 weeeks ago for $1700. and now to get it back togeather and not having to worry about the engine because it will be a brand new motor and the total bill will be about $2200. The parts manager is going to see if they can help us out and keep our bussiness. Is it worth it, My Son Loves this bike and I just want to make him happy.

I would cut my losses and part it out on ebay, then start over. JMO

get a service manual u can do the work yourself, the cam chain is very cheap. $18.00 i found a new cylinder on ebay for $200.00. u can save so much doing the work yourself and u wont have to worry about being taken advantage of.

get a service manual u can do the work yourself, the cam chain is very cheap. $18.00 i found a new cylinder on ebay for $200.00. u can save so much doing the work yourself and u wont have to worry about being taken advantage of.

You're right that is a viable option. :)

When I first purchased my used 03 yz450 (in 05) I got a total of 3 rides in before the big end crank bearing went :D I found out pretty quickly why the guy only wanted $2000

$600 in parts later I was back in business.

Guess you two guys miss the part about the guy being disabled. ^^

For the price of the repairs needed maybe see what the would do on a trade for a new/newer bike. Or bite the bullet and get it fixed. Tough choice.

i found a new cylinder on ebay for $200.00.
$199.92 at TT OEM, every day. :)

The Yamaha Parts manager called and said that dealership wanted to keep our business and he gave us a new cylinder and timming chain and was going to keep the rebuild of the whole motor under $1800. and I thanked him and thanks to all of you with all your information and imput.

$199.92 at TT OEM, every day. :)

free shipping???

No, but you don't get free shipping on eBay, either.

well i got it from a private seller and it was Actually $185.00 shipped. but i doubt i will find another deal on anew cylinder like that. so ill check out the store