Reed says EFI is where its at

What made you decide to go with the YZF after you experienced EFI?

My zed got stolen. No more availible but the 09 yami was. I dont know if i was spoiled by the efi and am just missing it now back on the carb. When i went from my old yz to the rmz i didnt think it was that big of a deal. Now going back to carb again it is a massive differance.

Reed gets paid alot to say he likes efi. Along with all the other top pros. they are getting paid alot to ride a certain bike, and say they like it. What do you think would happen if Reed said that the 2 strokes where way better than four strokes for supercross when the factory is spending mucho dollars campaining the four stroke and paying him to say he likes it. They would can him.

Reed gets paid alot to say he likes efi. Along with all the other top pros. they are getting paid alot to ride a certain bike, and say they like it. What do you think would happen if Reed said that the 2 strokes where way better than four strokes for supercross when the factory is spending mucho dollars campaining the four stroke and paying him to say he likes it. They would can him.

You are likely right, but i think the general consensus is that no one who has tried an EFI bike (RMZ 450) had anything bad to say about the throttle response which seems to be very crisp and precise by all reports, which is where most modern 4 strokes have a problem in my opinion when compared to the snappy two strokes and i have to say i can't wait untill all of the 4 strokes go that route, it builds confidence in the rider when he knows the bike wont somehow cut out in a technical rhythm section or larger doubles and triples. Having said that, i CANNOT get my KTM to bog no matter how much i snap it off idle, however there has been the occasional stall, thank God for my e-start, in my opinion all the modern mx bikes should have e-start as well, once you have it you really don't want to go back to anything else.

CR said "A lot of my crashes and injuries in the past year have been issues with the carburetor"

This sounds like some spoiled whiney kid at the local track making excuses for getting his a$$ handed to him.

Pretty sure he wasn't the only guy out there with a carburetor...

Okay, but what about all the different modifications you can get for your carbs, like the quick shot or even whole float bowl assemblies- aren't these supposed to stop the bogs, or any hesitation? or maybe Oscar was just trying to finish him off.

Man, why all the hate for the Aussie. Is it cause he came over and beat Americans on their own soil?

There's no ill feelings for Aussies here in America mate! Reed has earned himself a reputation of being somewhat of a prima-donna, and that's what we don't like. So, cut us some slack. Besides, we have to put up with a raging ... like J-Law. Oh wait, no we don't. He got the boot. It's all good anyway.

Now Rick you know I luv a challenge, without any emotional ties...but you hardly challenged anything...just the typical, historical slap my face and run....No one said Suzuki is going out of business, you missed the point completely again....

RV will be great....but what does he have to do with this conversation? He will race like a Professional MXer should..SX and MX both.

I'll try harder to be less predictable next time. :D

And what does RV have to do with the conversation? I think I was trying to deflect any perceived conflict.

Personally, I'd rather try to roost you at the track. That would be more fun for both us. ?

No worries my friend.

p.s. here's a shot of me getting roosted (can't see me) by David Vuillemin on Saturday. Those Suzuki turn on a DIME. It's unreal! Langston and Hamblin were out as well.

http://www.rickypics.com/info.php?photo_id=080908-0024

Thats funny! Do you guys remember when EFI started to appear on automobiles? I dont recall any performance benefit. They may have started easier in the winter. I expect the same to hold true on the motorcycles.

+1, the only REAL advantage, that and u can ride it at any elevation without changing jetting. its not a MIRACLE piece IMO. ?

I wish one of the pros would give an honest answer....imagine .....

Chad: Well, the new bike actually sucks the fat one at the moment. I hope we can get it to hold a line by Jan 1.

Last time that happened was when one said " this years factory bikes are pieces of s**t , I'm getting pulled by stock RM's and everything else on straights" .?:D Now....all you hear are how good the bikes are when the rider signs a contract and how much better they are when they sign with someone else . On the EFI....its a good thing ,like its done in automobiles .Nothing more . Remember when the forks were the other way ,now called upside down forks . I dont know about anyone else....but I never lost a race due to my forks being the other way..unless I bailed . Water cooling another , ever lost a race because the bike you were on was air cooled ? Some of the younger kids here probably have no idea what I'm talking about :worthy::ride: .

. The throttle body injection systems tried early on were abysmal. .

I don't know --- decent power, reliability, and ease of use ?? GM got the TBI system right, and still used it until the mid 90's on the trucks. My '88 K5 Blazer with a tbi 350 runs very well and has never had a fuel related issue -- considering it sits half the time, the performance is much more reliable than a carb.

The new dirt bike EFI systems are essentially a TBI system too. I'm looking forward to it , but i don't want to be a first year guinea pig. I am sure Yamaha R&D is taking notes though , by the time they get around to FI, my '08 ZED will be worn out and needing replacement anyway

On a typical dirt bike, the EFI throttle body is so close to the intake valve that it is a de facto port fuel injection setup.

The basic problem with the TBI ("Rain Bird") systems is that the fuel is delivered so far upstream in the intake tract that it amounts to nothing more than an electronic carburetor. Full throttle performance could be made to be acceptable, but in common traffic situations, fuel must still be kept atomized by heating the intake manifold, and the use of plenum chambers is out of the question.

To see the difference, drive a '95 C/K1500, and then a '96. Even worse, compare an '84 Corvette or Z28 to an '85. TBI sucks by comparison to PFI. Trust me.