Is A 2007 WR450 for me?

Hey there all.

I am looking a getting a bike, want to do some trail riding and play motocross too, but also looking to ride to work which is only 5.5 miles.

The questions I have are..... On average what kind of mileage could be expected from a stock 07 WR450, would it be feasable to ride on the street and be able to play too? I haven't ridden dirt bikes in a long while though. Had sport bikes and most recently a 2001 raptor 660(still have). I did ride someone 2001 YZ426 recently and coparing to the raptor 660 it didn't feel like much. I think it was not running strong, because it just didn't feel like it had much grunt at all, and the brake were really soft(lack of maintainence I suppose).

Anyway, I found a shop that has 2 2007 WR450F's brand new for 4999 each. Is this a fair deal?

5k new for wr450s! Thats not a fair deal, thats a steal!

This video may help make you mind up :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Qca6d5rPs

thats a bit of an exageration, since that bike only has 28hp at 10,000rpm, and that one guy was doing a wheelie the whole entire video.

a 450 will be more that plenty to motocross, commute(if you can get a plate), and if you slowly apply throttle, they get great fuel mileage, probably around 50

I took it that the bike in the vid was a 450 ?

no, they only make a wr250r/x as of now, it probably is some suped up 450 though, they just don't sell one in usa. i've never seen anyone on a 250f pull a wheelie like that

it was not an exaggeration, it's an australian video of a wr450f. WR450F's are street legal in australia. I have an 07 wr450f, everything they showed in the video is doable with the bike, I think it gives a pretty good idea of what the bike is capable of. Now, if we could just get that same street legal package in California....

This video may help make you mind up :worthy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Qca6d5rPs

Did you see the smile on everyone's face? :banghead:

WR 450fs make the world a better place :ride:

:)

Now, if we could just get that same street legal package in California....

The first thing I'd do is remove the AIS :D

:)

The first thing I'd do is remove the AIS :D

well, I wouldn't mind one bit having to remove two AIS units, as long as it came with a plate.

well, I wouldn't mind one bit having to remove two AIS units, as long as it came with a plate.

HAHA I just put it back on today. Gonna be riding where the gestapo patrol...need to be 100% legal.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have an SVRA season pass I would have left the thing off the bike. Payed $50 and I've only used it 7 times...need to get my money's worth before the end of the year.

Good luck with the plate thing. The Japanese don't believe the market is there for plated competition dirtbikes. Even if they did surprise us and actually came out with one they'd be so pre-occupied with trying to beat CO, HC, and NOx standards by huge margins that there'd be 30 lbs of emissions equipment on it. :D

If I ever need a bike with a plate Husqvarna gets the nod. I like their bare minimum approach to emissions controls. :)

HAHA I just put it back on today. Gonna be riding where the gestapo patrol...need to be 100% legal.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have an SVRA season pass I would have left the thing off the bike. Payed $50 and I've only used it 7 times...need to get my money's worth before the end of the year.

Good luck with the plate thing. The Japanese don't believe the market is there for plated competition dirtbikes. Even if they did surprise us and actually came out with one they'd be so pre-occupied with trying to beat CO, HC, and NOx standards by huge margins that there'd be 30 lbs of emissions equipment on it. :D

If I ever need a bike with a plate Husqvarna gets the nod. I like their bare minimum approach to emissions controls. :)

you put it back on???:worthy::ride: man, I thought that thing was off from your bike for good. has a ranger at the svra had a "talk" with you about the AIS? I've never had any of their people do a "visual" on my WR, but I haven't been there in the last 2 months. You need to go there 3 more times to break even with the price of the season pass, or maybe even get a "discount" out of it. :banghead: :banghead:

Well, with the economy going down the crapper right now, it's not looking like the market in general will grow much for bikes. If the japanese are expecting a market as big as the one for competition bikes, then we'll never see a true butt-kicking DS japanese bike. If only husky would get more market penetration here in the US, we can only hope for the best.

you put it back on???:worthy::ride: man, I thought that thing was off from your bike for good. has a ranger at the svra had a "talk" with you about the AIS?

No talk. Infact in all the times I've been to HH or Carnegie I've never had the dudes and dudettes in khaki even look at my bike.

However I don't want any trouble the next time I go. I also don't want to be turned around at the gate if I decide to go mid afternoon (that seems like when its most common according to those I've spoken to). That would piss me the :) off. At least on the WR its kinda hidden, if I was riding a CRFx I think I'd shoot myself.

And yes, I will go through the trouble on installing my block off kit when I don't ride at those places. Take that CARB :banghead:

Well' date=' with the economy going down the crapper right now, it's not looking like the market in general will grow much for bikes. If the japanese are expecting a market as big as the one for competition bikes, then we'll never see a true butt-kicking DS japanese bike. If only husky would get more market penetration here in the US, we can only hope for the best.[/quote']

IMHO I think everyone that wanted one probably bought either a Husky or a Katoom w/ a plate. With the dollar as weak as it is the prices for both the orange and white bikes became too rich for my blood. Why would I drop $9000 on a street legal 510 or 530 when I could get a yamaha FZ1? Maybe when they close the forest to everything but street legal vehicles I'll need something like the TE or EXC-R :D

hey im 5'5" 230 LBS AND 33 YO, 3 years ago i bought a new o5 ttr230 as i havnt rode since i was 9. the 230 was just enough bike for only two years. then i got the 07 wr 450. sometimes i think the bikes to much for my stature but i still love it. made it up everything . the only reason i got the fofitty is cuz i read that if your over 200 lbs u should get the bigger bike. peace

hey im 5'5" 230 LBS AND 33 YO, 3 years ago i bought a new o5 ttr230 as i havnt rode since i was 9. the 230 was just enough bike for only two years. then i got the 07 wr 450. sometimes i think the bikes to much for my stature but i still love it. made it up everything . the only reason i got the fofitty is cuz i read that if your over 200 lbs u should get the bigger bike. peace

I'm about the same height as you and I find the wr pretty good as it is. no way I'm lowering it, I'd rather adapt to it in its stock height.

I'm about the same height as you and I find the wr pretty good as it is. no way I'm lowering it, I'd rather adapt to it in its stock height.

my cousin is 5'3'', and when he rode my wr, he would hike on thigh over the seat, feather the clutch out and hope on like it was a horse.

I never let him go trail riding with us cause if he fell, how would he get the bike up, and start going up a hill. but thats only 'cause he's a beginner.

my cousin is 5'3'', and when he rode my wr, he would hike on thigh over the seat, feather the clutch out and hope on like it was a horse.

I never let him go trail riding with us cause if he fell, how would he get the bike up, and start going up a hill. but thats only 'cause he's a beginner.

well, I don't have to do all that dramatic routine to get on my bike, I can use it just fine. But good for your cousin, having the nuts to get on the bike despite it being too high for him.

Hey there all.

I am looking a getting a bike, want to do some trail riding and play motocross too, but also looking to ride to work which is only 5.5 miles.

The questions I have are..... On average what kind of mileage could be expected from a stock 07 WR450, would it be feasable to ride on the street and be able to play too? I haven't ridden dirt bikes in a long while though. Had sport bikes and most recently a 2001 raptor 660(still have). I did ride someone 2001 YZ426 recently and coparing to the raptor 660 it didn't feel like much. I think it was not running strong, because it just didn't feel like it had much grunt at all, and the brake were really soft(lack of maintainence I suppose).

Anyway, I found a shop that has 2 2007 WR450F's brand new for 4999 each. Is this a fair deal?

$5K for a the big WR is an awesome price. You need to jump on that ASAP:prof:

I get 50-60 miles on a tank of gas...thats mixed riding like fireroads, singletrack, and quad trails. On the road it might be possible to stretch it out to 75 miles. These things are gas hogs. If you're gonna D/S it an 3.1 gal IMS tank is a must IMO

Sorry 'bout the hijack earlier :)

$5K for a the big WR is an awesome price. You need to jump on that ASAP:prof:

I get 50-60 miles on a tank of gas...thats mixed riding like fireroads, singletrack, and quad trails. On the road it might be possible to stretch it out to 75 miles. These things are gas hogs. If you're gonna D/S it an 3.1 gal IMS tank is a must IMO

Sorry 'bout the hijack earlier :D

my ktm gets 40mpg on the street, but its being broken in still, so more mpg to come, then F2 racing advertises 20% increase in fuel mileage with there kit. so I probably can get 55-60mpg if I really stretch it out, seeing how half the mile were on road and the other off road, and some jumps.

450's do better on gas than a 250f does in my experience. the wr450f I've ridden had the clarke tank that was a bit under 3 gal. it went for quite a whiles

it really boils down to gearing and what not, i personally havn't accelerated yet in 5th or 6th gear cause its so high.

then again, I was happy to get 60mi out of my wr250's tank, it drank gas like crazy, with all its wheel spin, abrupt throttle openings, wheelies :)

my ktm gets 40mpg on the street, but its being broken in still, so more mpg to come, then F2 racing advertises 20% increase in fuel mileage with there kit. so I probably can get 55-60mpg if I really stretch it out, seeing how half the mile were on road and the other off road, and some jumps.

450's do better on gas than a 250f does in my experience. the wr450f I've ridden had the clarke tank that was a bit under 3 gal. it went for quite a whiles

it really boils down to gearing and what not, i personally havn't accelerated yet in 5th or 6th gear cause its so high.

then again, I was happy to get 60mi out of my wr250's tank, it drank gas like crazy, with all its wheel spin, abrupt throttle openings, wheelies :)

When ridden in the same manner, the bigger engine is always going to have worse fuel mileage (all other things equal). However with the big bikes you don't have to twist the throttle as far as on the small bikes to do the same work so thats why some riders are able to get better mileage out of a bigger bike.

Another thing is in street riding there is alot of constant throttle operation as well as smoother throttle openings (in my experience). 75 miles out of 2.1 gallons is 35.17 mpg which isn't too far of what your 450 exc-r gets. Plus your KTM has that 6th cog for more relaxed cruising:thumbsup:

How do you like big orange?

A few hours ago my friend told me he was picking up a holdover WR450F. He's an employee of the local Yamaha shop and his price wasn't as good as yours! Your 07 price is a screaming opportunity.