HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old_Novice

Heat Shield for Big Gun?

5 posts in this topic

What is the hot setup to keep this pipe from burning through my pants? I am running a Big Gun header/pipe and it has no heat shield. Is does have remnants of the previous owners riding pants burnt on the header. Since there is nothing on the header (no nuts like stock) how do you mount something to prevent this?

Good question...wish I had an answer for ya. But on that topic, ANy ideas for how to stop a FMF PC IV pipe from burning through my right side number plate? I've got the useless silver heat tape-no luck...

Thanks

My old XR400 came with a parts box including a muffler for an ATC 70, I cut & re-shaped the heat gaurd & re welded the threaded insert's to the pipe, looks pretty sano. I torched 2 sets of leathers before I modified a heat shield. I dont know how to post pictures here, if you want I can email you the pics

I have the stock header (insisted it was included when I bought the bike)and heat shield which I am sure I could adapt as suggested above. The problem is, and this may sound lame, I really don't want to go welding on the ceramic coated head pipe. I was hoping someone knew of something clamp-on so I did not have to mar the finish on that pretty pipe. Maybe I'll change my mind after my first crash on that side. :)

Go to the hardware store and buy some 10 cent stainless steel hose clamps works great. my friend has that setup on his titanium DSP header.