O.K . happy with the new yz450f sooooooo???

well i have been out on my new 2007 450 now a couple times .. i have done no mods to it except a fuel screw ... this is my first bike in a lot of years... i could not be more happy with the way it is running .. and it starts first kick every time .. hot and cold ... anyway my question is what can i do to make sure it keeps running the way it is ... you read all these horror stories finicky tunning on these on these 4 stroke .. i have enough frustration keeping my son's crf150r running nice.... i should have bought him a yz85 !!! but that is a whole other story .. so i just wanna keep this beast running perfect . thanks for any info and sorry for rambling on .

Gary

change the oil and clean the air filter.. check the valves about evey 20 hours...

this should be it.. these bikes are extremely reliable..

cool , thanks for the advice ... the oil changes and the air cleaner are easy ... are the valves something a backyard mechanic can do ???

Gary

well i have been out on my new 2007 450 now a couple times .. i have done no mods to it except a fuel screw ... this is my first bike in a lot of years... i could not be more happy with the way it is running .. and it starts first kick every time .. hot and cold ... anyway my question is what can i do to make sure it keeps running the way it is ... you read all these horror stories finicky tunning on these on these 4 stroke .. i have enough frustration keeping my son's crf150r running nice.... i should have bought him a yx85 !!! but that is a whole other story .. so i just wanna keep this beast running perfect . thanks for any info and sorry for rambling on .

Gary

Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Grease. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil.

After many times of that, check the valves for no apparent reason, then Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil....

cool , thanks for the advice ... the oil changes and the air cleaner are easy ... are the valves something a backyard mechanic can do ???

Gary

yes, but you probably wont ever have to.

do yourself a favor and get a nice torque wrench if you do check them. make sure you set the cam guide bolts to the right ft/lbs or NM's.

the manuel will guide you through the process.

Air Filter, Oil Filter, Oil.

Tires go pretty quick depending on the soil your ride on. Also grips wear out. Replace the stock chain if you haven't. it will stretch and ruin your sprockets.

Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Grease. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil.

After many times of that, check the valves for no apparent reason, then Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil. Gas, kick, ride, clean, oil....

Amen' brotha...?

sweet , that is what i want !!!?

thanks guys for all the good advice it is appreciated ... i defiantly will have to get a new chain .. i have been told that on several occasions ..

Gary

I have been sold on Hondas (particularly old XR's) forever but the more I read up on the YZF450's the more I'm considering one. I just want a green sticker with it -- is that possible? Or should I look at a WR? Not trying to jack the thread

I have been sold on Hondas (particularly old XR's) forever but the more I read up on the YZF450's the more I'm considering one. I just want a green sticker with it -- is that possible? Or should I look at a WR? Not trying to jack the thread

can't get a YZ green unless its pre 2003 then its a 426 or a 400 if its really old.

i know people with the 426 who LOVE it and hand my ass to me in the desert on it.

95% rider skill...

I would contemplate a WR seriously if i were replacing an XR ----- the YZ is about as much fun as playing with rusty fish hooks in off-road situations (excepting certain desert conditions maybe). It can be improved with flywheel weights, different ignition mapping, bigger tank, quieter muffler, swapping out the 19" wheel, etc. -- then you have a $9500 bike that is still lacking the absolute best thing about the WR, and that's the happy button

The joy of electric start cannot be overstressed after a day of riding a YZ off road

You can always add different cams and a TokyoMods ignition box to the WR if it is still lacking power too

--- the YZ is about as much fun as playing with rusty fish hooks in off-road situations
And trying to ride a WR hard can be like dancing a tango with a pig that's too drunk to stand up.
It can be improved with flywheel weights, different ignition mapping, bigger tank, quieter muffler, swapping out the 19" wheel, etc. -- then you have a $9500 bike that is still lacking the absolute best thing about the WR, and that's the happy button
I have the flywheel weight, hand guards, a skid plate, IMS tank, a Scotts damper, and that's it. Works OK for me, and way less than even $8K. Besides, the best thing about the WR is the wide ratio box and the alternator output.

The joy of electric start cannot be overstressed after a day of riding a YZ off road
You are not one with your YZ, grasshopper. The only time an e-start would consistently help me is at a dead engine start, but most of the time, I have no problem there either.

To each his own, though.

But seriously, if you are upgrading from an XR400, and off-roading is going to be most of your riding, a WR4540 makes a good choice. Most of them can be green stickered ( I believe one or two years could not because they missed the certification deadline, but that may not be the case). They are heavier than a YZF, but much lighter than an XR, and not at all a bad bike. As stated, they're easy to get more power from.

And trying to ride a WR hard can be like dancing a tango with a pig that's too drunk to stand up. I have the flywheel weight, hand guards, a skid plate, IMS tank, a Scotts damper, and that's it. Works OK for me, and way less than even $8K. Besides, the best thing about the WR is the wide ratio box and the alternator output.

You are not one with your YZ, grasshopper. The only time an e-start would consistently help me is at a dead engine start, but most of the time, I have no problem there either.

To each his own, though.

But seriously, if you are upgrading from an XR400, and off-roading is going to be most of your riding, a WR4540 makes a good choice. Most of them can be green stickered ( I believe one or two years could not because they missed the certification deadline, but that may not be the case). They are heavier than a YZF, but much lighter than an XR, and not at all a bad bike. As stated, they're easy to get more power from.

not bad observations -- i just made my 9500 comment assuming that a bike was bought at or near sticker (around 7500 bucks)

The WR needs a couple of things done to it in stock form to reach its peak performance, but those are easy and almost mandatory mods.

Most of the extra weight it carries is due to its best feature - electric start (i am 5'8" with a 31" inseam and wish all dirt bikes had e-start now, the 2 strokes were tolerable, but the long awkward kickers on the 4 bangers have been awkward for me for 5 years)

The performance of my YZF offroad is the main reason i kept my old YZ 250 ? , but i live in Oklahoma , and most of the trails in my region are as narrow and undeveloped as Carrot Top's comedy act, with plenty of trees and lots of red clay (which turns into red sand in the summer -- nasty stuff)

If i lived in w. Texas, SoCal, or Arizona, i may be able to enjoy the YZF as a converted off-roader, but in a lot of other places, it acts like a fish out of water. The power is great on an MX track or a wide open hare scrambles or GP course, but it doesnt compare to the smooth, tractable power of an XR (even though it has much more power than anything except maybe a modded xr650)