Old postcard from the giant rock in Johnson valley

back when it was an Airport. I didnt know there was alot of history there.

GiantRock_CA_postcard.jpg

From what i've heard it isn't accessible by dirtbikes any more...(word from a local resident (riders themselves, not pissed off locals). If this isn't accurate let me know on here or PM...we've been wanting to get out there! It's a nice ride for a large mixxed group!

Thanks,

REZ

I probably shouldn't say this, but, It is just outside the border of JV. I have done Anderson Dry Lake to Pappy and Harriets in Pioneer Town many times, and Giant Rock is one of the stops there. I must confess I didn't see it when it was one piece. Must of made a hell of a thud when it broke off. There is some interesting stuff with the miner, the Integredome, and all the visitors from outer space.

My shots of Giant Rock.

NewYearCuddebackJohnsonValley007.jpg

NewYearCuddebackJohnsonValley008-1.jpg

I probably shouldn't say this, but, It is just outside the border of JV. I have done Anderson Dry Lake to Pappy and Harriets in Pioneer Town many times, and Giant Rock is one of the stops there. I must confess I didn't see it when it was one piece. Must of made a hell of a thud when it broke off. There is some interesting stuff with the miner, the Integredome, and all the visitors from outer space.

My shots of Giant Rock.

NewYearCuddebackJohnsonValley007.jpg

NewYearCuddebackJohnsonValley008-1.jpg

Do you stay on the North?Northeast side of OWSR the entire ride until you need to cross to get to P-town? If not where do you cross?

Do you stay on the North?Northeast side of OWSR the entire ride until you need to cross to get to P-town? If not where do you cross?

Sent you a pm. Planning on doing that run from Slash X next month if you're interested.

From what i've heard it isn't accessible by dirtbikes any more...(word from a local resident (riders themselves, not pissed off locals). If this isn't accurate let me know on here or PM...we've been wanting to get out there! It's a nice ride for a large mixxed group!

Thanks,

REZ

Hey Rez...I see you've already gotten a PM, but it's totally accessible on a bike. I've been riding out there for over 20 years and it's absolutely awesome.

12-4Cabin015.jpg

Hey Rez...I see you've already gotten a PM, but it's totally accessible on a bike. I've been riding out there for over 20 years and it's absolutely awesome.

12-4Cabin015.jpg

We 'tried" going out to it Pres weekend. The group i was with has been to it only once and couldn't remember how to get there exactly. We stopped at a house and asked some guys (who also rode, dirt bikes out front) and they said they were allowing only street legal vehicles. I'm sure there are some trails you can take to get to it. If you can detail it to me in a PM i can google it and see what i come up with!

riding from slash x do you need a desert tank? and is that ride next month open to anyone. I love riding out coming across interesting things. What would cause it to split like that.

Somewhere i was reading that it happened February 23rd 2000. They (who ever they is) think it was from the fires people would have around it/under it. Wonder if there are any UFO hunters under the part that broke off???

Hey whats up guys,

I live in North Joshua Tree and am qiute familar with the Giant rock area. Giant rock is "suposed" to be the biggest free standing boulder in the world. It broke during LA's big earth quake in the early 90's(pre my high desert time), and actually Landers was the epi-center not LA... The place is pretty Rad even with all the trash and grafiti. Back when that postcard was taken there was a restaurant located underneith the rock, way cool. Its also a hot spot for people into UFO stuff.

No problem getting there with out a plate, though it is required. As of last year OHV are only allowed in JV ohv area, but I can tell you, first hand, that hasent stopped many people. Desert tank would help for a round trip from Slash X.

As a resident and local of the high desert heres some tips to riding with out a plate and NOT getting busted.

1. It may feel like the middle of no-where but is also peoples home(like mine) While riding by structures, shacks, people... Slow the **** down. Chances are you will only see a cop if you are doing laps and someone calls the cops.

2. Stay on trail!!!!!!!!!!!!! Desert takes FOREVER to heal and your track will be there long after you are gone. Exeption being dry washs, again far from people. On a side note... Wet washes are some of the best riding I have ever done.

3. Don't litter....DUH

4. Loud pipes not a big deal if you pay atention to rule 1.

So inconclusion go ride giant rock, have a great time.! Also just a hop skip and a jump is the Integratron, worth a stop and tour. Google

Hey whats up guys,

I live in North Joshua Tree and am qiute familar with the Giant rock area. Giant rock is "suposed" to be the biggest free standing boulder in the world. It broke during LA's big earth quake in the early 90's(pre my high desert time), and actually Landers was the epi-center not LA... The place is pretty Rad even with all the trash and grafiti. Back when that postcard was taken there was a restaurant located underneith the rock, way cool. Its also a hot spot for people into UFO stuff.

No problem getting there with out a plate, though it is required. As of last year OHV are only allowed in JV ohv area, but I can tell you, first hand, that hasent stopped many people. Desert tank would help for a round trip from Slash X.

As a resident and local of the high desert heres some tips to riding with out a plate and NOT getting busted.

1. It may feel like the middle of no-where but is also peoples home(like mine) While riding by structures, shacks, people... Slow the **** down. Chances are you will only see a cop if you are doing laps and someone calls the cops.

2. Stay on trail!!!!!!!!!!!!! Desert takes FOREVER to heal and your track will be there long after you are gone. Exeption being dry washs, again far from people. On a side note... Wet washes are some of the best riding I have ever done.

3. Don't litter....DUH

4. Loud pipes not a big deal if you pay atention to rule 1.

So inconclusion go ride giant rock, have a great time.! Also just a hop skip and a jump is the Integratron, worth a stop and tour. Google

Found the Integraton when i was googling Giant Rock...stay on Giant Rock road south until you come to it which looks like it's just around the hill.

If worse comes to worse Heros market and gas is just down 247 (towards Yucca) a short distance for fill ups...

My son & I are looking for a place to explore in the next week or two. We're both plated, and I have been looking at a map of JV and searching the forums. It looks like there is some trail riding and some elevations to climb (Cougar Buttes, etc.??). We may end up in LPNF or some other areas, as we have done a bunch of desert at El Mirage and Ocotillo. If you have any descriptions or reccomendations, PM me. Thanks

My son & I are looking for a place to explore in the next week or two. We're both plated, and I have been looking at a map of JV and searching the forums. It looks like there is some trail riding and some elevations to climb (Cougar Buttes, etc.??). We may end up in LPNF or some other areas, as we have done a bunch of desert at El Mirage and Ocotillo. If you have any descriptions or reccomendations, PM me. Thanks

Cougar Buttes isn't much of a elevation change. LPNF would be alot cooler, but make sure you have your spark arrestor.?

What route would you take from the Slash-X to the rock? Be a heck of a long ride unless you somehow go diaganolly across the desert.

After cutting across ord you come out at Anderson Dry Lake. You drop down to Soggy and straight line, kind of, to Means. After Means it is a short trip around the mountain to GR. From Slash X to GR it is about 75 miles. Another 12 miles to my gas fill up, 6 miles to Pappy and Harriets and 90 back to the Slash. So yes you need a desert tank, 90-95 mile range, and yes it is a long way even though we cut diagonaly across the desert, but it is a great ride, and totally worth it.