What bike would you buy?? 2001 426 vs 2002 426

hey hows it going guys,ive been riding honda for many years now but its time to get a fourstroke.I live in new england and its unbelivably rocky around here.But besides that im in the market for a new bike and ive been considering 450's but around these parts there going pretty steep at the moment and the ones ive found deals on seem way to good to be true. But ive come across a 2001 426 and a 2002 426.Now keep in mind i havent seen the bikes in person yet just pictures.But the 2001 has a bigger clarke tank scotts steering dampener,a fmf end pipe not sure exactly what kind,skid plates and frame gaurds w/ hand guards and factory connection suspension,set up for woods riding. Now the 2002 has a rekluse auto clutch, scoots steering dampener, racerpak hand guards, pro tapers, emig triple clamps, aftermakret rotors brake lines all new tires fulll fmf titanium exhaust and has the bk carb mod done.Now my personal opinion is the 2002 would be better with all that it has and the carb mod makes me think he takes more time with his bike and takes care of it, which i hope with all the money invested he would.But the catch is the 2001 is 1500 obo and the 2002 he wants 2200, and would it be smart to get the 2001 and take the extra money and setup the suspension or go with the 2002 and worry about that later, im a bigger guy so i will have no choice but to respring.And from reading ive read the 2002 was the best year of 426's with them correcting all issue of the earlier years. But Sorry if i sound dumb for asking this i just want your opinions on what youd rather put your money on.

Also would i be downgrading much if i was to get a 426 over a 450.Ive heard nothing but great things about 426's and them being a lil heavy doesnt bother me ive owned xr600's in the past.I do race harescrambles but i dont really see how much having the 426 over the 450 would hurt me especially seeing all the aftermarkets on it w/ a respring/revalve.I do take them somewhat serious but its more fun than anything at this particular stage.And im attending a motorcycle mechanic school at the moment so repairs and anything need is not a problem. But sorry for rambling on but fi you could jsut throw some of your thoughts out there it would be greatly appreciated .thanks

justin

It's funny you should post this because I just sold my 2001 426 and bought a 2007 YZ450. I can tell you that I loved the 426 but just wanted to jump on the ban wagon of the 450, aluminum frame...etc. The 450 is easier to start and lighter than the 426 but other than that if you are not racing and just having fun I would go with the 2002 426. My two cents....

yeah im taking more of a fun approach but still being serious,if i take things to serious its not fun anymore, but im also looking at finacially, and i think maybe going a little older with mods that id put into a slmost stock 450 might make more sense seeming id add all those parts after anyhow,plus for the most part engine size doesnt really matter in the woods anyhow,sometimes yes but its mainly the rider from what ive seen.

I think I'd prefer the '02, but it's tempting to take the '01 at that price. Obviously, the condition of either is an issue.

The 426, as a off-road racer, has a slightly wider gear ratio range with the 5 speed, and can more readily be set up to run big lights if you want that. The engine is a little smoother down at very low RPM, and is even more so with an auto decompression cam from a YZ450.

Their weight is a negative, as is the front suspension. The fork compares favorably to the '03 and '04 450, but not the newer ones. However, Smart Performance has a kit that makes that fork the near equal of almost anything, and other companies can do pretty well at improving them as well.

Between the steel framed 450, and the 426, I think the 426 is probably a bit better suited as an off-road racer.

I would take the one that was in better shape... they are basically on par with eachother from what you've told us. The 426 is a solid ride, I rode one for 6 years before I got my fo-fiddy. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, so long as it has been taken care of.

yeah either way i really cant go wrong, which ever way i go. I have just found a rmz 450 for 2200 that needs forks seals and he saidfor full price hell do them and hed take less if you take as is, but i also dont want to take a ticking time bomb.From the looks he has raced it unless he just thru numbers on there for the hell of it.But ill take a look at it and im still meeting the guy for the 2002 friday so well see what happens and ill let know.

The earlier RMZ's were all ticking time bombs. Some went off, some didin't. Their record was a little short of stellar at first.

The 04 and 05 RMZ250 was a time bomb, but I think the 450's were pretty good. I'd take a RMZ450 over a 426 anyday.

It is simply not arguable that the RMZ is a lighter, faster, more nimble, and better suspended bike than a 426. It's not even not even close. But is it as reliable? Again, it's not even not even close. Short of an XR400 or a sundial, few things made by man are as failure resistant as a YZ426.

I never said it was as realiable as a 426, I don't think too many bikes are even close. I was just saying that the 450's weren't time bombs.

... I was just saying that the 450's weren't time bombs.
"Time Bomb" is a subjective term. Compared with the earlier 250 RMZ/KXF, the 450 looks very robust, but they have had cam chain problems, and random failures of the crank, piston, and trans that you really just don't see in YZF's, or even CRF's. Not a tremendous number of any of these, but I think enough to raise some concerns about buying a used one.

It is simply not arguable that the RMZ is a lighter, faster, more nimble, and better suspended bike than a 426. It's not even not even close. But is it as reliable? Again, it's not even not even close. Short of an XR400 or a sundial, few things made by man are as failure resistant as a YZ426.

As a former 426 rider.... I can tell you I am a HUGE fan. They have there moments (weight when tired and starting when you forget to be strict on the starting routinue) but short of that, you are hard pressed to find a more reliable bike that is comfortable in the desert without going "very new" ($$$$$)

I went from a 01 426, to a 05 450, to a 08 450. For dessert where very good handeling is not a critical the 426 may have been the better overall bike....

The 08 only has track time (thus far) so when it cools down in the dez I'll give it a whirl. Hoping for good things.

Best of luck - I would steer clear of the early Slowzuki....unless you have a $grand$ lying around for a rebuild.

"Time Bomb" is a subjective term. Compared with the earlier 250 RMZ/KXF, the 450 looks very robust, but they have had cam chain problems, and random failures of the crank, piston, and trans that you really just don't see in YZF's, or even CRF's. Not a tremendous number of any of these, but I think enough to raise some concerns about buying a used one.

This is the first I have heard of the Trans, piston, and cam chain failures, can you explain more? I have heard of the crank failures through, and it was weird because more 06's had problems than 05's.

welll i went with the rmz 450, for 2100 i coudlnt go wrong.It was this guys sons spare race bike and his son just randomly quit racing so he sold all of his stuff and didnt wanna see it anymore. He was very helpful and gave me 3 numbers to contact him and his mechanics number if any problems arise.Bike started first kick let it warm up took it for a ride shifted fine no issues.Just alot more power than i expected!! It could use some suspension work but whatever bike i buy i do a respring revalve anyhow. But im bringing it to the dealer this week to go thru the bike tune it up to make sure everythings ok. Ill post some pics soon. But i do have a question with me comin from a two stroke how much engine noise is expected from these 450's form my understanding there normally a little loud. But it being new to me and so nervous i just wanna make sure.It sounds pretty close to my buddies honda as tot eh noise so id assume if eveyrhtings ok with his i can safely assume it just normal engine noise? So if any thoughts would be appreciated. thank you

But i do have a question with me comin from a two stroke how much engine noise is expected from these 450's form my understanding there normally a little loud.
If the RMZ is like a YZF, it normally sounds like a socket set in a garbage disposal. To be sure, compare with another one, or ask in the RMZ forum. ?

Browse the RMZ forum. As I said, they aren't plagued by these problems, but they have come up for no apparent reason (some of the cam chain issues most likely relate to the manual adjuster).

I was in the 450 forum for a while cause I owned a 05, and let me tell you that was a sweet bike. The only thing I didn't like was it felt a lot heavier than a 06+ YZ450F. And most likley the cam chain problems were caused by the person working on the bike.

The 426 got a bad rap and was a bit of a pig, but I can tell you that i loved my '01 426. It was as solid as a rock and the motor was just as strong as my '06 450.

Yup. I loved my 2002 426, never had any issues and was sad to see it go.