considering a wr, much improvement from steel to aluminum frame?

Well, as much as i love my yz 250, i really would like something that i could plate. Im wondering if there is much improvement from the earlyer steel frame models, to the aluminum frame. If there really isnt a noticeable improvement, i could save alot of money on opting for an 06' or older. Any input would be appreciated.

pound for pound, or kg for kg, they weigh the same, the Al framed bikes have a lower center of gravity that in my opinion makes a big difference in the handling characteristics... I have owned 3 steel framed WR's so I have a baseline to compare to...

03-06 frames were just plain ol'mild steel not chromoly,the 05-06 steel framed wr's were changed to lower the center of gravity by dropping the frame tube 8mm on the steering head and the shock shaft was shortened 2mm;this worked quite well and if you can get a 05/06 alot cheaper you won't find much performance difference. the 06 came with a mongrel shock that has the large diaphram with the small shaft,one of the best offroad shocks i've ever ridden in stock form,other than that the 05 has a slightly larger tank(2.6 gal) and the forks were both 48mm open chamber(which could be swapped out to tc's)?

i'd shoot for a 06 and put a bigger tank on it if needed.

i run this frame with a 05 yz motor in a bike i built(thats actually for sale) and if you add a set of 22.5mm offset clamps it will out turn any new bike while still retaining high speed stability.

I still have my 05 WR450 and an 08 WR450 and there is a huge performance difference between the two.

The 05 handles like a dump truck compared to the 08.

i have a 08 and love it ... i think it handels very well... even slow..

love the dump truck comment tho :D?

I still have my 05 WR450 and an 08 WR450 and there is a huge performance difference between the two.

The 05 handles like a dump truck compared to the 08.

Same here, 05 and 08 in the garage. The 05 rides like a tank comparied to the 08. That's why I plated the 05. Next year I'll plate the 08. 05 Dual Sport, 08 Super Moto Street and maybe an 2010 WR500 Desert. I know, Just dreaming:p

thanks for all the replies, but it seems that i am going for a steel frame model, an 04' to be exact. Ill be picking it up this friday. Im trading my bike in too, and getting $750 back, so i get to put so goodies on it:thumbsup: any suggestions?

thanks for all the replies, but it seems that i am going for a steel frame model, an 04' to be exact. Ill be picking it up this friday. Im trading my bike in too, and getting $750 back, so i get to put so goodies on it:thumbsup: any suggestions?

Congrats.

regarding the comments on the wr... we all are a bunch of WR purists and maybe we over analyze the bikes.

The worst that any WR will be is very, very good. People with the wr400's and wr426's love them. The 450 riders love there's as well.

Its hard to have fun on that bike (assuming you can handle it)

Have fun.

The fuel tank on the 04' was of adequate size, so no need to throw money at that, (like us aluminum framed bikes have to:thumbsdn:)

I assume it's a used bike and will have some mods to it, but I would first check to see if it needs free mods like the throttle stop chopped, (or a YZ one installed), etc....

An FMF Q with a Powerbomb header maybe?

Radiator Guards, Bark Busters, Skid Plate.... I'd say any money invested in hardware that will protect more expensive parts is money well spent:thumbsup:

Congrats on the 04', those are excellent bikes:ride:

thanks for all the help everyone :D

I am deffinatly thinking about getting a new exhaust, at least a slip-on anyways. It already has a skid plate, and frame guards. I need a speedo though, so im pretty shure im gonna go for the trail tech vapor, they seem pretty impresive ?

The WR has so much power already, it probably doesn't need a new exhaust. You may want one, but it may not need anything more than a little more twist of the wrist.

I am assuming of course, that you have removed the baffle out of the end.

Get the suspension done. Its a much better investment and will save your ass.