Red sticker on an '08 WR450F??? ***?!!!

I was starting to worry as my sticker took so long to show up. Just got it in the mail on Saturday after purchasing the bike at the biggining of May. To my surprise it showed in the form of a red sticker and not green. I know (hope) this is a mistake on the part of the DMV or dealer. Can someone please set me straight as I had always heard that a 3 or a "C" in the 3rd digit of the vin# gets you a red sticker. This vin has something else there. Do you think I have a better chance of pushing this through the dealer to get it corrected or just take my lumps and deal with the unsympathetic morons at the DMV? :ride:

I was starting to worry as my sticker took so long to show up. Just got it in the mail on Saturday after purchasing the bike at the biggining of May. To my surprise it showed in the form of a red sticker and not green. I know (hope) this is a mistake on the part of the DMV or dealer. Can someone please set me straight as I had always heard that a 3 or a "C" in the 3rd digit of the vin# gets you a red sticker. This vin has something else there. Do you think I have a better chance of pushing this through the dealer to get it corrected or just take my lumps and deal with the unsympathetic morons at the DMV? :ride:

I'd extract a pound of fleash from the dealer. you paid them, they are responsible. keep in mind that dealers have connections to the DMV, they should be able to get the ball moving.

Just an update. I hate bagging on the dealer before they prove me wrong. I got a call today from them and they advised that the DMV sent the wrong tags and that they had done that to a variety of their bikes. They said just bring in the sticker and registration and they'd take care of it. Much better than me standing in line at the DMV and trying to convince someone why something should be a green sticker rather than red.

If a plate shows up the next time instead of a green sticker then I'll just have to suck it up and live with the DMV's mistake. :ride:

my 06 got a red sticker by mistake from the DMV...took me three months of fighting with the DMV to get it resolved. Let me know if the dealer doesn't do good, maybe I can point you in the right direction

Unless something has changed recently, a license plate for highway use eliminates the need for a green sticker.

Correct you are. It was a joke. As if the DMV could ever find it within themselves to make a mistake the other direction and send a plate to a guy who should have gotten a green or red sticker. ?

Unless something has changed recently, a license plate for highway use eliminates the need for a green sticker.

Yeah, but to follow the letter of the law, you would need to keep all of the street stuff on the bike when you are riding it off-road. Don't know if anybody would ever check/care. That is bacically why people dual-register their bikes.

Yeah, but to follow the letter of the law, you would need to keep all of the street stuff on the bike when you are riding it off-road. Don't know if anybody would ever check/care. That is bacically why people dual-register their bikes.

Which is kind of funny isn't it? Think through the logic of that! I have heard of people riding dual sports in Anza Borrego and being stopped for a "mirror check" by the BLM rangers. I'm guessing, but am pretty sure that this would only apply to riding a street legal bike on dirt roads that are open to only street legal vehicles.