HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RCannon

Kick Start returns too far....2004 yzf 450

5 posts in this topic

My neighbor has a 2004 yzf 450. he had a serious crash last weekend. Serious enough that stitches were too much hassle..he got super glue, the scrub brush treatment, and needs new goggles due to his shattering in his face....obviously, a bad one.

His 450 is ok...the only damage is an odd thing. His kickstarter functions properly and will start the bike. However, the upper return travels too far and does not hit a solid stop. Whatever stops the lever no longer works.

Is this a broken case? Swapping a side case is no big deal, but it sounds liek $$$$$. I would like to surprise him and fix this myself if possible.

Thanks for listening. I tried a search, but everything was related to non functioning kick start levers.

Could be the ratchet wheel or stopper (4,11)

Probably best to pop the side cover off and pull out the kickstarter to see what's what...

0014.Gif

Could be the ratchet wheel or stopper (4,11)

Probably best to pop the side cover off and pull out the kickstarter to see what's what...

0014.Gif

Good call, actually. They really did try to make the kick starter more prone to break than the case. It would be nice to see that pay off.

That would be good news and I hope thats all that is wrong.

Good news being relative. Yamaha is proud of piece number 11, but only about 10% as much as the stitches holding his face together!