HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allanwessels

Gearing Help (Smoother 2nd)

5 posts in this topic

I have an '07 WR450 and I love 2nd gear until you come off the throttle & get hit hard by the engine breaking, 3rd gear is smooth.

Is there any way to make 2nd 'wider?'

What happens if I add a bigger sprocket to the rear?

Thanks!

i think a bigger sprocket would make it worse .(slower , more torque because of the lower gear ratio)

just don't let go of the throttle or shift up . its a big bore 4 , not a two-stroke . try driving a two-stroke street bike then switching over to a 4-stroke . in that case i just give it enough throttle around corners and such that it barely pulls and the braking is gone .

im sure some one else will have a better answer .

I have an '07 WR450 and I love 2nd gear until you come off the throttle & get hit hard by the engine breaking, 3rd gear is smooth.

Is there any way to make 2nd 'wider?'

What happens if I add a bigger sprocket to the rear?

Thanks!

You've got to have some throttle and clutch control. Now that you know what it will do, react accordingly. If you are on the throttle pretty good in 2nd and can feel the engine braking a lot, you probably should be in 3rd gear.

I use to find myself stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear and could not figure out where I should be. 3rd is a lot smoother and is pretty torquey. Try gearing down a little,which should allow you to run in third gear a little sooner and smooth things out. I wouldn't make 2nd taller. Just get into third sooner.

So... put on a slightly larger rear sprocket. Go up 2 teeth in the back. You will find yourself riding in 3rd more often. If you have a 50 on the rear, go to a 52.

This is what worked for me.