What bike to get?

I currently ride a 2002 drz400e. Its kinda scuffed up, has a broken spoke and I think I'm ready to upgrade. I can't decide if I want to go with a newer drz. There's one currently listed where I live (06 drz400e for $2900) seems like a good deal. Or I've been contemplating moving to a WR450 (04 wr450 $3000). I was wondering what your guys' thoughts are.

I mostly do technical/trail riding, and every once in a while some dunes/desert washes.

You ask a bunch of guys on a wr450 forum about which bike to buy...

I think that the answers will be very predictable.

Trail riding is trail riding, but what is your definition of "technical riding"?

that being said... if you have scuffed up the drz and broken a spoke, it may be time for a more serious off road weapon. The wr450 is most certainly designed for more agressive trails and riding.

I posted this same thread in the DRZ forum and I got two reponses both of which encouraged the WR... so I think its pretty much been settled. However feel free to continue to voice your opinions. I'm really leaning towards the WR though :ride:

Dont want to dampen your enthusiasm too much, but if you do a lot of "technical" then you might find the 04 WR 450 a bit of a handful.

I have an 05 and in the tight, twisty technical stuff I don't like it at all, slow steering, top heavy.....

But its definetly better then the DRZ!

I just came off of an 02 DRZ400e. As far as I am concerned the only plus is the starter motor is strong and it was uber bullet proof. It was heavy (300+ pounds), and had a mediocre suspension.

I got an 07 WR450F in january (first new bike) and it is a total transformation. Much better in every aspect except for the starter which I think is kind of weak, it has never has not started the bike but just seems to be weak sauce in comparison to the DRZ starter.

I would not go back to the DRZ...

As far as maintenance goes on the wr450. I'm used to very low maintenance bikes. I'm worried about frequent valve jobs, etc (something I've never had to do on a bike).

Is this something thats infrequent enough to not worry about?

Is this something thats infrequent enough to not worry about?

Yes, if you take care of it.

-Keep the oil clean

-Keep the air filter clean/properly oiled

-Keep the temps down ?

Check the valves every 1000 miles and keep the rubber side down:ride:

technical riding requires throttle control! but I doubt your drz can wheelie over any log that gets in your way just by wicking the throttle 1/4 a turn more.

unless your drz is street legal, don't get one, there is no advantage besides it doesn't have enough power to get you hurt, but sure has enough momentum to get you between a rock and a hardcase, get it, hard case

yamaha's reliability in high performance four strokes is exceptional, you won't have to worry about valves for a very long time

Well, I asume that because you posted this in the WR thread that you'll be co-ursed in to getting the WR from us loyal WR owners.:ride::D

The WR has got to be the best all around bike on the market right now. With some modifications, the WR can be ready for anything you want it to do from Desert, Supermoto, Dual Sport, Motcross, Endurance, Street, etc....... It will take care of you. Although the Honda 450X is a very nice bike, the WR doesnt have any DNA problems with valves and etc.... like the honda's do.

For me, I plan on having a Dual Sport WR, a Super Moto Street WR and a Desert only WR. I have 2 of them so far. Will be working on the SM in 09.

GO WR! you wont be disapointed ?:worthy:

Well, I asume that because you posted this in the WR thread that you'll be co-ursed in to getting the WR from us loyal WR owners.:ride::D

The WR has got to be the best all around bike on the market right now. With some modifications, the WR can be ready for anything you want it to do from Desert, Supermoto, Dual Sport, Motcross, Endurance, Street, etc....... It will take care of you. Although the Honda 450X is a very nice bike, the WR doesnt have any DNA problems with valves and etc.... like the honda's do.

For me, I plan on having a Dual Sport WR, a Super Moto Street WR and a Desert only WR. I have 2 of them so far. Will be working on the SM in 09.

GO WR! you wont be disapointed ?:worthy:

no offense, I'm not dogging on anybodies bike because WR450F are about the funnest bikes you can ride, good suspension, good power, light feeling for an unlimited class desert machine,

but... yes there is a but...

in california it is darn near impossible to get a non street legal bike street legal or dual sport status.

with that being said, the KTM 450/530 EXC-R has more of an all aroundness to it. being street legal, they weigh a couple pounds less than the wr, they have a 6th gear, and stock hit 110mph according to KTM.

the wr still has better suspension, hard to beat kayaba stuff, and since i've ridden wr's for 3 years now, a preference to handling

if yamaha had made the 450 street-able and given it that holy 6th gear, I would still be a loyal yamaha customer. but there focus is mainly on mx/sx. and ktm is a more offroad racing company

but the wr is still more reliable than any ktm i've ever heard of, and so forgiving and deadly at the same time.

So now that I've decided to go with a WR450, I'm wondering what year seems to be supreme.

I hear the 04s have a larger gas tank (not sure how much bigger though). Which apeals to me because I can easily do a 75+ mile ride.

However, I do really like that the 06 and above have the backlit speedometers.

Maybe I need to figure out whats cheaper an IMS tank or the Endurance computer and also considering the price difference for an 04 & 06.

Any thoughts are welcome.