Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptainKnobby

Which type of feeler gage to use?

5 posts in this topic

I have a 06 450f yamaha and was wanting to check the valves but was wondering which type of gages to use.

They make a kind they call tappet feeler gages that you can buy at motorcycle shops or at motion-pro but they just have a certain size at each end to where as if you get a standard set at advance they are flat and in many sizes.

I do know the tappet kind are turned at the ends but I dont wont to have to buy like 5 or 6 different sizes.

Spend $5 at any auto parts house on a standard set of 4" gauges in English sizes (thousandths of inches) that are marked with the metric equivalents. That's all anyone needs.

Go the the auto store like mentioned,make sure the gauge starts at .001in. You will have to trim them(make them narrower) the cam tower is not wide enough. Trim a .001in to a .010 in and you will be covered.

No trimming has ever been necessary for mine when I use them on a 450. A 250F, yes, but not the big bike. If the ones you buy are a little wider than normal for some reason, a pair of scissors will trim them up. Most standard gauges rarely go smaller than .0015", but don't sweat that.

No trimming has ever been necessary for mine when I use them on a 450. A 250F, yes, but not the big bike. If the ones you buy are a little wider than normal for some reason, a pair of scissors will trim them up. Most standard gauges rarely go smaller than .0015", but don't sweat that.

My fault .0015. I had a 250F I still use those gauges for 450f,but it is still a little tight in there.