2001 tz426F trans problem

Hey guys

My brother has purchased a used 426 F with a known problem that a third gear doesn't engage. There is no grinding noise when put into third however once in 3rd feels like it once to pull and then it stops like it's not completely being engaged and it pops out. Before i tear the bike apart can anyone give me some advice as far as what i should be looking at shift forks etc .

As always any input greatly welcome.

Martin

You will most likely need both 3rd and 5th "wheel" gears (on the countershaft), and the #3 shift fork. You will find the locking lugs on the sides of the gears are worn, and that that has bent the shift fork.

You will most likely need both 3rd and 5th "wheel" gears (on the countershaft), and the #3 shift fork. You will find the locking lugs on the sides of the gears are worn, and that that has bent the shift fork.

Bingo ^^^ i have done trannys in about 10 of these motors and that is almost always what it is.

While you have it apart, do a piston and rings, timing chain and a new set of main bearings. Otherwise you are just asking to go back into the motor.:thumbsup:

Thank you guys for the quick responses. Will take it apart this weekend. Can you guys point out on the diagram for the transmission using thumpertalk.com oem parts.

Thank you, Martin

Thank you gray racer