HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ttoks

KX 500 rebuild

4 posts in this topic

well, i've decided my KX 500 needs a freshening up, took the jug off it today and the little end bearing is shot, and the big end on it's way out, since it's never had a full rebuild, i figure i might as well do the main bearings, seals and a top end wihle i'm at it.

so i have ordered,

a top end kit (piston, rings, gouging pin, little end bearing, head and base gasket (although the head and base we got off it are still good).

two main bearings, big end bearing, and seals

water pump seals (for the hell of it

rod kit

what else might i do while i have it apart? i think i'll be needing a new radiator soon since my uncle mashed the right hand one trying to get the pipe off of it, but he'll be paying for that if it comes up

already has a stealthy FWW on her, no ened to add one of them, prehaps go a sparky since it's only used offroad :thumbsup:

When I rebuild a motor I replace all gaskets and seals, main bearings and any other bearings or moving parts that are worn out or shows sign's of damage or broken. If the clutch plates are still meaty I clean them with high grit sandpaper to break the glaze and get the steel plates nice and shiny again.

Since it's apart, I would replace the tranny shaft bearings and seals as well, and closely inspect the shift drum and forks, and the engagement dogs. And make sure to carefully examine the countershaft for wear where the seal rides on it. With the longevity of the KX500 engine, if you make sure everything is in like-new condition when you button it up, there's a good chance you'll never have to open the cases again.