Shop towels/rags - What to use and how to clean?

I have a big bin full of towels and rags that I use for wiping up messes (oils, mud, grease, etc). I pile all used rags into a separate bin and wash in the machine when full. It usually takes 2 cycles through the machine and they are still dirty. It also leaves behind a nice layer of grease that I have to clean when done. I use laundry detergent and bleach.

Recently, I washed a load of towels covered in Bel-Ray fork fluid. That stuff STINKS! When done, I wiped it out and the wife did her usual loads of laundry. Now, everything we own smells like Bel-Ray fork fluid. Nothing better than the smell of fork fluid on your towel when you get out of the shower in the morning.

What do you use to clean the towels and how do you wash them?

If I did that the problem would be solved. The wife gets a new washer and I get the Bel-Ray contaminated one. And a lot of grief.

I don't recycle oily rags. I use cut up t-shirts and towels and cut upen socks. Cut up because you get a lot of smaller ones so you can grab a clean one rather than a whole shirt getting dirtier and dirtier.

Shop towels from Home Depot and rags. They get tossed after use. Props to you though for admitting that you ran that crap through the laundry. ? I would be permantly moving into the garage if I tried that (come to think of it, not a bad idea) You can buy bags of rags at an auto store near you for dirt cheap.

regular detergent and take them to the laundromat

So everyone elses clothes smell like Bel-Ray?

On topic, I use Kleenex brand Viva paper towels. They are cheap at Wal-Mart, almost as tough as the blue shop towels, and I can use them in the kitchen too. Started using those when I worked at an oil analysis lab, thats what they used there.

I buy the bags of 36 terry cloth hand/shop towels at Sam's Club. Those that get nasty with oil, etc. get sprayed down with Castrol Super Clean and after soaking for 5-10 minutes, I hit them with the garden hose. Then they go into the washer without creating issues for the wife's treasured front-loader.

For the most part and most tasks, I use these:

syc_newhome-copy_08.gif

http://sycamorewipes.com/index.html

They're great on a lot of different applications.

I have a big bin full of towels and rags that I use for wiping up messes (oils, mud, grease, etc). I pile all used rags into a separate bin and wash in the machine when full. It usually takes 2 cycles through the machine and they are still dirty. It also leaves behind a nice layer of grease that I have to clean when done. I use laundry detergent and bleach.

Recently, I washed a load of towels covered in Bel-Ray fork fluid. That stuff STINKS! When done, I wiped it out and the wife did her usual loads of laundry. Now, everything we own smells like Bel-Ray fork fluid. Nothing better than the smell of fork fluid on your towel when you get out of the shower in the morning.

What do you use to clean the towels and how do you wash them?

So how much longer do you have to sleep on the couch?

Myself, I head down to the nearest Goodwill and buy garbage bags of old clothing that has a tear, stain, etc that makes it unsaleable for clothing use.

Last time I did this, I paid $5 for a Hefty Cinch-Sack of clothing, sat out in the garage with a cold beer (or 6) and a sharp scissors and cut them up into 12"-18" squares....still ain't halfway through that pile.

I don't bother washing them, I just toss them in the fire pit.

I do have a friend that has a washer specifically for his shop towels (out in the shop). If you ask me, it ain't worth it compared to the price of a bag of clothes.