WR -> YZF tranny swap flywheel thoughts...

For anyone who has done the 07+ WR tranny swap into the 06+ YZF (or anyone who knows a little about it - ala Chris or Gray etc), what flywheel did you end up using or do you recommend? I live in Vegas so for me it's either the flat-out fast Vegas desert stuff, or tight and technical trails of the Southern Utah mountains. I am about to purchase a GYT-R 9oz flywheel but now I'm just trying to get some thoughts about the benefits of the additional weight with the wider ratio tranny. I'm sure everything great about the flywheel weight will still apply, but I just hate wasting money or buying things twice (which seems to be a habit of mine...lol) Is there a weight that you guys have liked with the wider ratio, either stock YZF, GYT-R 4oz, GYT-R 9oz, any steahly weight etc. Thanks guys...

I still run the YZ gear set, but I can heartily recommend the GYT-R offroad (9 oz) flywheel regardless of what you use the bike for, or how you gear it. You gain smoothness, traction, and control, and loose nothing.

I still run the YZ gear set, but I can heartily recommend the GYT-R offroad (9 oz) flywheel regardless of what you use the bike for, or how you gear it. You gain smoothness, traction, and control, and loose nothing.

Thanks Gray, I noticed (from the other threads) that you're using the stock YZ gears, I just wondered if due to the wider ratios, should I consider using slightly less flywheel weight (less than the 9oz) as the longer gears will reduce some of the torque multiplication factor(?) therefore softening the delivery just a bit. But like you said, I'll still probably run the GYT-R Offroad wheel

The 9oz flywheel doesn't really soften anything. In fact the effect is difficult to even notice. When I installed mine, I didn't get to ride the following weekend, and the week after that, we went out for some MX practice. I totally forgot the new flywheel was in there, and it never occurred to me that there was anything different.

But the next week, we were in the desert. Down in the bottom of a twisty, first and second gear canyon I noticed that it had a lot of low end grunt, and was running smoothly and responsively in the acceleration from one section to the next, and I thought, "this thing really does that much better than my old one...". Then it dawned on me that I had put the flywheel in.

x2 on what gray said about the flywheel. Get the 9 oz and fuhgeddaboutit. Keep me posted if you put WR gears in your YZ, I've thought of doing the same to mine and would be curious to know how it works out for you.

Remember in considering the WR trans that you can only use parts from an '07+ WR450 in an '06 or later YZF, and for the older 4 speed 450's the entire trans, including shift forks and cam, from an '03-'06 WR is required.