Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YAMAHA 426 YZ RIDA

I Just Oredered A Yz 450 Cam For My Yz 426 Mod....please Give Advice

8 posts in this topic

:thumbsup::bonk: :bonk: :cry::p:thumbsup:

HI, I JUST ORDERED A YZ 450 CAM FOR MY 01 YZ 426 AND I NEED ALL THE ADVICE THAT I CAN GET FOR THIS MODIFICATION. I AM NOT A MECHANIC BUT I AM MECHANICALY INCLINED AND IM WORKING ON THIS PROJECT WITH TWO OF MY MECHANIC BUDDIES. ALSO, I HERE TALK ABOUT SHIMS AND I NEED TO KNOW IF I NEED TO GET SHIMS OR WILL I BE ALRIGHT WITH THE STOCK ONE'S. PLEASE HELP.:thumbsup::D:bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::cry::mad: e:

Advice:

> Don't type with the caps lock on. It's rude, as it implies yelling at the reader.

> Post your question only once.

> Read the information available that has already been posted on the subject.

Otherwise, you cannot know what size valve shims you are going to need, if any, until after the new cam is installed. You will then measure your clearance and correct it as needed. Then, you follow the procedure in the manual to adjust the clearance.

Go back over pages 105-107 of the cam mod thread. You'll find more info there on timing.

Woah, slow down, put the wrenches away and step away from the bike, you need to read your manual completely on adjusting the valves and timing the bike/installing the cams before you do ANYTHING to it. Once you got the figured out you need to go ahead and install the new cam into the bike PER the manual, THEN check your valve clearance, use the little chart they include for you in the MANUAL on determining the proper replacement shims, THEN you order those replacement shims and install them, THEN you re-check your clearances again. After all that and you get it running, you need to RE-CHECK your clearances after about 5 hours of run time, if there still within spec, then you should be good to go for another 20+ hours before you should be checking them again.

install the new cam into the bike PER the manual,
The '03 cam cannot be installed into a 426 strictly according to the procedure in the manual because the timing has to be set up differently.

It's very simple to do just be sure to print and follow the instructions in the cam mod thread. And yes you will likely need shims but as stated you won't know what size until you install the cam and measure. Enjoy!!!

I personally put the Hot Cams exhaust in my 2000 yz426f and I love it. I looked into the 450 cam mod and just thought it was easier to put in the Hot Cams.

And twice as expensive.

I think somewhere on the forums here are a set of very thorough photos I took when I 450 cammed my 426, if you can't find them I'll dig them up and post them in here.