YZ450F for Trails????

Cowboy, i'm in Portland, and ride mostly in the tillamook range and China Hat. I was actually just camping and riding china Hat this past weekend... I love that place. PM if you are interested in a China Hat ride, or have a favorite area not TOO far from Portland...

Yoda'

I recently just did the same, got rid of the 06 WR250 and got the 07 YZ450. I ride in N. Idaho with tight single track and lots of double track (Quad trails). I stalled a lot at first, but am getting more used to the bike as I ride it more. I would still like to change the gearing a little for the slower/tighter trails to make it easier on the clutch and myself. As for protection I suggest a good skid plate and handguards. I currently don't have either, but will when my wallet gets fatter.

The power difference is so much greater that it kicks my inexperienced booty all the time, however I would not trade it for anything now that I've got it.

I hope this helps you, and even if you go with a WR, it is still a Yamaha, and a great bike to own.

I forgot to mention that I also am 6'4" and 245lbs. Also the YZ suspension is much better for my size than the Wr was. I have not adjusted any of the clickers from stock and it works really good for me at my riding level. I am going in next weekend to have my sag set to see if this helps in getting more traction, as I tend to spin the rear tire a lot with the 450's power.

Get a newer WR450 & just do mods to it, my YZ450F like to be run at high speeds, unless you are running in wide open trails, get the WR450...and like many of people have said, the electric start is a done deal, kicking a YZ450F, wore out & hot motor sucks, trust me:prof:

Yeah electric start is great... until it quits working for whatever reason.

I think the YZ is so easy to make trail worthy, and a bunch lighter than the WR, that unless you absolutely have to have a headlight the WR just doesn't make sense.

YZ+PMB end cap for sparky+skid plate+radiator cages+handguards = done deal. From there you can add different gearing, flywheel weight, whatever else you want to set it up for your style. No need to re-jet, uncork the exhaust, cut the throttle stop, and all that other stuff the WR needs to run good.

Get the YZ!!!

Coming from a honda xr400 from the steep rugged single track in the wasatch i was afraid that the YZ would be untameable for the hills.

I wont ever go back!

Kick stand, spark arrestor, hand guards is a must.

I put on the rekluse clutch, its fricking AWESOME in the hills. Though i realize now just how much i bump started my old bike, kind of a pain sometimes, but im over it, when i dont stall out on a rocky nasty switchback, or uber technical spot... ?

Yeah electric start is great... until it quits working for whatever reason.

I think the YZ is so easy to make trail worthy, and a bunch lighter than the WR, that unless you absolutely have to have a headlight the WR just doesn't make sense.

YZ+PMB end cap for sparky+skid plate+radiator cages+handguards = done deal. From there you can add different gearing, flywheel weight, whatever else you want to set it up for your style. No need to re-jet, uncork the exhaust, cut the throttle stop, and all that other stuff the WR needs to run good.

Did all of the above, plus a 3.1 IMS tank, re rout the breather. I love it!?

I HAVE A 06 yz450f myself and I love the bike. The changes I made to the bike are the following:

1. Moose rad guards, W.C braces, rear caliper guard and skid plate

2. FMF Q pipe (What a difference over the stock pipe)I have my fmf 4.1C on right now

3. Clarke oversize tank (3.2 gallons)

4. Took the stock tires off and threw them as far as I could throw

5. Moose rear H.D disk guard

6. RK X ring O-ring chain and Blue renthal 51 in rear

7. Blue & Black Powermadd hand guards

8. Blue ASV levers (shortys)

9. reroute the crankcase breather tube into the airbox( This mod is a must if you own a 06-08 yz450f because, yes gentlemen, they do suck air at higher rpms)

10. Blue fork bleeders

11. GYTR H.D clutch springs

12. Twin-Air air filter

13. seal savers

14. GYTR air screw

15. Powershot 2 and minor jetting adjustment

16. Fastway Footpegs

17. Hour meter

18. Blue axel blocks, front master cylinder cover, rear master cylinder cap, timing plugs and oil filler plug, In-line 5/16 blue fuel filter and asv clamp

19. Pro taper upper triple clamp

20. PC Racing carb vent system

21. GYTR 9oz flywheel weight (a must have)

I think I covered most of my mods although some of them were just because I had extra cash on hand.

bikemods003hd2.jpg

Here is the way I did my breather reroute:

I used the existing hose minus about 8 inches and routed it towards the air box and rerouted the carb vent hoses aswell

cimg4374ko8.jpg

This is what it looks like off the bike

cimg4370xl5.jpg

And this is what it looks like assembled

cimg4375zz4.jpg

Routing the carb vents to the airbox is a good idea- rather than buy a kit like sacfelix did I just pulled the top two vent lines up and into the airbox. I had my old 426 "T-vented" (same principle, different approach) as well. I still haven't done the crank breather on my bike, I should do that soon.

I HAVE A 06 yz450f myself and I love the bike. The changes I made to the bike are the following:

1. Moose rad guards, W.C braces, rear caliper guard and skid plate

2. FMF Q pipe (What a difference over the stock pipe)I have my fmf 4.1C on right now

3. Clarke oversize tank (3.2 gallons)

4. Took the stock tires off and threw them as far as I could throw

5. Moose rear H.D disk guard

6. RK X ring O-ring chain and Blue renthal 51 in rear

7. Blue & Black Powermadd hand guards

8. Blue ASV levers (shortys)

9. reroute the crankcase breather tube into the airbox( This mod is a must if you own a 06-08 yz450f because, yes gentlemen, they do suck air at higher rpms)

10. Blue fork bleeders

11. GYTR H.D clutch springs

12. Twin-Air air filter

13. seal savers

14. GYTR air screw

15. Powershot 2 and minor jetting adjustment

16. Fastway Footpegs

17. Hour meter

18. Blue axel blocks, front master cylinder cover, rear master cylinder cap, timing plugs and oil filler plug, In-line 5/16 blue fuel filter and asv clamp

19. Pro taper upper triple clamp

20. PC Racing carb vent system

21. GYTR 9oz flywheel weight (a must have)

I think I covered most of my mods although some of them were just because I had extra cash on hand.

bikemods003hd2.jpg

What tires did you go with and why?

I wouldn't be affraid to go with a YZ at all. I'm running an '03 YZ right now and with a few mods am loving it for trails. I ride everything from singletrack to quad trails to fire roads. Most people would agree the '03 is about the worst YZF to start with, but IMO with a little work, even it can be made trail friendly. Here's the "off road" mods I've done so far.

8 oz Flywheel - Definately a must have, especially for the '03 ?

Rekluse Clutch - Awsome addition, but not required. Makes the nasty stuff soooo much easier.

MSR Skid Plate - Peace of mind when bouncing off boulders

Rooster Performance Rad Guards - A lot cheaper than a new radiator

Oversize Tank - Only needed if you take longer rides.

Hand Guards -Protect those levers, and fingers

WB E2 Exhuast - Definately go as stealthy as possible.

If you're riding trails only, you'll definately want to soften the suspension. The stock setup will beat you up pretty good on the trail.

A kickstand and GPS mount are in the works.