Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eroc1313

YZ450F for Trails????

33 posts in this topic

Hey Guys!

Gettin ready to move up from my 02 WR250 to a 450 because Im ready for something more powerfull to carry me. At 6' 3" and 240 with gear, the 250

is being wrung out pretty hard with our hills and hollars here in NC.

I wanted to know how many of you YZ guys ride HS and single track woods.

Most of the bikes I see were I ride are MX bikes more than dual sport.

Looks like to me, add a flywheel weight and spark arrester and your there!

Seems easier to make a YZ woodsie vs. moding a WR.

Any and all opions on this would be welcomed!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Eric

I have a 08 yz450 I run in hs. Get the wr. Do the free mods and put a fmf pipe on. I love my yz but it will stall and you will hate life. The button on the tamer cam timing seals the deal. I rode a wr in a 24 hr race on a team and I would trade my yz for it.

Hey Guys!

Gettin ready to move up from my 02 WR250 to a 450 because Im ready for something more powerfull to carry me. At 6' 3" and 240 with gear, the 250

is being wrung out pretty hard with our hills and hollars here in NC.

I wanted to know how many of you YZ guys ride HS and single track woods.

Most of the bikes I see were I ride are MX bikes more than dual sport.

Looks like to me, add a flywheel weight and spark arrester and your there!

Seems easier to make a YZ woodsie vs. moding a WR.

Any and all opions on this would be welcomed!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Eric

I switched from WR to YZ last year - riding mostly woods. Here is what I think mod-wise:

- The bling pipe is something I regret I put on (although it looks nice) - for me the original pipe plus jetting would have been enough.

- All the protection I could get on the bike seems to be doing its job regularly.

- I use a 51 tooth rear sprocket and probably will return back to 49. The 51 is easier to ride, but I lost some speed (following my 49-tooth friends) and some skills (I tried to climb a stony hill with tall grass on a 49-t bike and felt I miserably fail now). So depending on your skill level and the track you might be better off with the original sprocket.

- steering damper - really a must and helps you to last longer on a 4-6 hours race/fast ride. Probably my best mod.

- water crossing prep - I put the breather pipe into the air box and rose two carb vent tubes up to the top of the fuel tank. Now water crossing plus kicking in a half-meter water is trouble free.

- I still want to try the new hinson wonder clutch thing - but I guess there wil be some add-on compromise to level the benefits it gives. Would like to hear someone's extended opinion on iy btw.

- other wise (and sometimes being really hard to kick start hot and after a fall) this is the best and fun-to-ride WR I ever had.

:thumbsup:

06 YZ450F, skid plate , hand guards, 9 oz. flywheel, O-ring chain, stock gearing, it does anything I need it to do, I may go to a 50 or 51 tooth on the back, but as it is, IT WORKS.

I rode with a newb this weekend on an '08 WR250 and rode his bike up the stuff he could not manage. I have an '06 YZ450. The two bikes cannot be compared in terms of power. There is a huge difference.

I have always been one to go with the MX bike and make the 'taming' mods necessary if the magic red button is not a necessity. There is a weight savings that adds up over the course of a day ride that is invaluable in my opinion.

Seriously, all the 06+ 450's need is some protection and either a Fly Wheel Weight or autoclutch if you feel the stalling thing is an issue.

All I ride is the tight single track trails and I could not be happier.

My bike has the following stuff:

Scott's sub-mount system

Zipty carb mod 'kit'

MRD -Racing full exhaust system with S/A (S/A req'd here)

IMS desert tank

New chain & gearing on the way - 13/50

Cycra pro-bends

Devol skid plate

Hour meter

Gripper seat cover

Rekluse z-start pro

Stainless oil filter

PMB kickstand

Of all that crap, get some good brush guards, an hour meter for maintenance, and a skid plate and you'll be fine. In your case, there may not be a need for a kickstand since you have actual trees where your ride, but in the desert here, I LOVE that feature.

06 YZ450F, skid plate , hand guards, 9 oz. flywheel, O-ring chain, stock gearing, it does anything I need it to do, I may go to a 50 or 51 tooth on the back, but as it is, IT WORKS.

My setup almost exactly and I have no complaints. Get a good skid plate and radiator guards too.

Of all that crap, get some good brush guards, an hour meter for maintenance, and a skid plate and you'll be fine. In your case, there may not be a need for a kickstand since you have actual trees where your ride, but in the desert here, I LOVE that feature.

+1 on the kickstand. I am getting mine actually today. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind missing 1.button, 2.kickstand, or 3.chugability of the WR then you can't go wrong with the YZ. As a matter of fact #2 and #3 can be remedied through the aftermarket for the YZ. There are riders that make the YZ gearbox work for offroad and even though its a close ratio box, the top speed is still way more than 85% of people on here need.

In any state other than CA, the YZ should be a no-brainer for anyone who doesn't mind kicking their bike over. Handguards, skidplate , and radiator guards are the bare minimum you should put on for armor.

I ride a YZ426 in harescrambles and tight technical singletrack. I currently don't have ANY off-road mods to the bike (no flywheel weight, no skidplate ), and it works fine. When I first got the bike I stalled it many times, but once i learned how the bike and the engine react those stalls have disappeared for the most part.

I've heard the Rekluse auto-clutch does wonders to a YZ, but for the price I can live without it.

I don't find the gearing to be an issue. Keep in mind I have a 426 and not a 450, but my understanding is they're similar (having closer ratios than a WR, and having a taller first gear and shorter 5th gear) There are very few places where it would be nice to have a lower 1st gear, but I manage without it. There's enough power available across such a wide range of engine speeds, that in the technical stuff I rarely get out of second gear. The low 5th gear (well, low compared to a WR) isn't an issue since the places I ride don't have enough room to let me open the bike up to top speed. I'll get the bike going fast to a point where I start to get scared and it's still pulling, and then I have to start braking because I run out of road.

I haven't played with the suspension yet, but now that I have a leaky fork seal I'm going to get it redone and tuned to my specific riding. It's a bit harsh for offroad.

I'm a newb with a brand new 08 yz450.

I was riding trails on this past weekend at Gorman and was amazed by how mellow the bike could be yet also amazed how insanely fast it could be. I only stalled it once 5 min in the ride from braking too hard. I have a full after market exhaust on it now and think it was a bike improvement in power delivery from the stock exhaust system. Not that the stock power for me was not good enough but I needed a spark arrester. One kick was all it took to get going and from then on I had no issues. My bike only has 2 hours on it now and from what others have said they become less prone to stalling after around 5 hrs.

I bought the YZ because I wanted the suspension and to ride really mixed terrain and "hope" to ride some track once my balls catch up to the bikes abilities.

YZ all the way for me. I will trade the e-start for the much lighter wieght.

I would suggest a flywheel weight at a very minimum, but a Rekluse clutch makes it ideal!

I have 08 YZ450F with a Rekluse Pro.

Run it in hare scrambles series plus the odd day at the MX track.

This combo is absolutely perfect - I am not sure I will have another bike w/o a Rekluse especially a 450 in the woods.

The Hinson is simply a set of high precision, high strength replacement components for the OEM clutch. They hold up better, work a bit more smoothly, and are just about impervious to heat.

The Rekluse is an auto clutch. You need not pull the clutch lever to bring the bike to stop in gear, nor use it to engage the clutch on take off. You also don't have to concern yourself about having to slip the clutch at very low speed on a tight trail or climb, either. The clutch does that for you.

You lose the ability to bump start the engine, but still have engine braking.

Hinson does also make what is known as a "slipper", or back torque limiting clutch, which is designed to reduce engine braking by slipping on deceleration. The effect is adjustable. The clutch operates normally otherwise.

I ride a YZ426 in harescrambles and tight technical singletrack. I currently don't have ANY off-road mods to the bike (no flywheel weight, no skidplate ), and it works fine. When I first got the bike I stalled it many times, but once i learned how the bike and the engine react those stalls have disappeared for the most part.

I've heard the Rekluse auto-clutch does wonders to a YZ, but for the price I can live without it.

I don't find the gearing to be an issue. Keep in mind I have a 426 and not a 450, but my understanding is they're similar (having closer ratios than a WR, and having a taller first gear and shorter 5th gear) There are very few places where it would be nice to have a lower 1st gear, but I manage without it. There's enough power available across such a wide range of engine speeds, that in the technical stuff I rarely get out of second gear. The low 5th gear (well, low compared to a WR) isn't an issue since the places I ride don't have enough room to let me open the bike up to top speed. I'll get the bike going fast to a point where I start to get scared and it's still pulling, and then I have to start braking because I run out of road.

I haven't played with the suspension yet, but now that I have a leaky fork seal I'm going to get it redone and tuned to my specific riding. It's a bit harsh for offroad.

The 426 was stock at 14/49, the 06 450 (and maybe 07-08) came stock with 13/49. I ran 13/52 on my old 426 and really liked it- it worked really great in the tight and techical stuff. I'd be willing to bet if you'd drop your gearing to 13/49 you'll like the bike even more. Depending on how tight it is and your riding style you may like the 13/52 or you may find it too low. I find my 06 still stalls a bit too easily even with the GYT-R off road flywheel, but I often find myself babying it because the *^%$) front end wants to slide out (note to self- get the dayum suspension tuned by someone).

I bought my 08' for a woods and desert bike. I think that it works really well for both. YZf's is a little expensive to set it up well compared to a WR. The stock suspention works suprisingly well off-road, but can be made much better by a suspension shop. At a minimum you should get a flywheel weight, hand guards and some kind of case guard. I find that the stock pipe with a PMB endo spark arester(silencer cone not installed) is plenty of power for the woods. There is lots of of extra power to be had with an aftermarket pipe, but I think for the woods it is probably overkill. I prefer stock gearing, but many add a tooth or two as first gear is a bit tall for tight nasty stuff.