HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FreshDonutsCAN

WR 450 clutch issues help!

5 posts in this topic

hey WR guys.! my buddy has a 06 Wr450 and this is what he says. He says the clutch will not fully disengage the power essentially making the clutch inoperable. He says when he pulls it in all the way it acts like its still in the friction zone so switching gears causes it to grind and grumble like shifting without the clutch does.

Keep in mind this guy is not very studious about bike maintenance and hasnt done oil/air filter changes at proper intervals and has never done the valves and probably has close to 50 hours on it.

What exactly is wrong with his bike haha

***** hey i allso just realized he put a new lever on the clutch today and was saying how he couldnt get it adjusted right is it possible that He tottaly screwed up the cable tension causing it to not fully engage when pulled in???*********

Either the cable is breaking or more likely he has warped the metal plates in the clutch pack. Pull the clutch pack and lay the metal plates on a flat surface. They should be perfectly flat. If they are bowed at all they are junk.

Cable should have between 3 and 5mm of free play, gears shouldn't grind or grumble even without using the clutch to shift, it's a close ratio transmission, as long as you're off the gas when shifting, not using the clutch normally has NO effect on the gears or the shifting ability.

Most clutches have drag when engaged due to the oil that is held between the plates - causing stiction, the dirtier the oil the more stiction you get.

Cable should have between 3 and 5mm of free play, gears shouldn't grind or grumble even without using the clutch to shift, it's a close ratio transmission, as long as you're off the gas when shifting, not using the clutch normally has NO effect on the gears or the shifting ability.

While you should still be able to speed shift if you're trying to shift using the clutch it will have these same symptoms. I had this exact problem/symptom when I fried the clutch in my '04 WR. At first I thought it was a tranny problem but after fixing the clutch all was well. That was at least a thousand miles ago and no further issues.:thumbsup:

just for info. the 06wr450 has a different pivot hole than the 05. I bought some msr levers for mine that were for 03 to 06 only to find out that I couldn't get enough adjustment out of the cable to use them. compaired them to stock and saw the different pivot hole. I'm sure you have fixed it by now and hopefully didn't have to get into your clutch, but maybe this will help someone else doing a search.