HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WR450FGreg

'08 WR450F rear shock "topping out" ???

6 posts in this topic

I haven't investigated this properly yet, I just noticed it when I parked the bike after a wash last night.....

I lifted the rear end and felt a bit of a "clunk" at full extension. Not extreme, but definately there.

I couldn't hear/feel it yesterday when jumping it on an MX track.

Maybe it's normal, I don't know. This is my first dirt bike in a lot of years.

The bike has 700km on it and yes, I have had the rear end apart and re-greased it all, tightening all the bolts to the specified torque.

Your thoughts?

Greg

You'll need new linkage or shock bearings - it's one or the other that's clunking - easy and cheap fix, but you should go as far as taking the shock out to see which ones need replacing - once you've done that, you might find your swingarm is in need too - many times, when one is gone it means all were neglected.

Ditto. My guess is the bearing that the 17mm nut on the relay arm attaches to, but like Matt4x4 wrote, you never know til you take things apart.

A good source for bearing info is at http://www.motorcycle.mryamahaparts.com/yamaha-motorcycle-parts.htm

Find the part, the bearing and part number.

You'll need new linkage or shock bearings - it's one or the other that's clunking - easy and cheap fix, but you should go as far as taking the shock out to see which ones need replacing - once you've done that, you might find your swingarm is in need too - many times, when one is gone it means all were neglected.

I doubt anything is wrong. It's a brand new bike.

If it were me I'd check the all the linkage and shock bolts and then I'd go riding.

I haven't investigated this properly yet, I just noticed it when I parked the bike after a wash last night.....

I lifted the rear end and felt a bit of a "clunk" at full extension. Not extreme, but definately there.

I couldn't hear/feel it yesterday when jumping it on an MX track.

Maybe it's normal, I don't know. This is my first dirt bike in a lot of years.

The bike has 700km on it and yes, I have had the rear end apart and re-greased it all, tightening all the bolts to the specified torque.

Your thoughts?

Greg

Greg - What you describe is typical of a worn out Heim joint (the semi articulating bearing) at the bottom of the shock. But with just a little more then 400 miles on the bike it sounds unlikely. The only thing I can think of, is something was not re-assembled correctly when you regreased your suspension. Make sure the two grease seals and collars on either side of the lower Heim joint are on the shock. I remember the collars falling out while re-attaching the shock.

Thanks guys.

The only thing I can think of, is something was not re-assembled correctly when you regreased your suspension.

Yeah, I might check that out SXP. Cheers.

Greg