2006 450 blew up yesterday?

I was trail riding yesterday and and my motor starting ticking. I assumed it was the valves out of adjustment and starting heading back to the truck. about 5 miles later the engine dogged down and stalled. i tried kick starting about 5 times and now the kick lever will not move at all. I take prestine care of this bike. any advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

im a carpenter so im not confident enough to tear down a head. i guess ill have to take it to a mechanic and get bent over. hopefully i can get this back for under a thousand.

Did you at least check to see if your oil drain plug fell out?

my motor starting ticking. I assumed it was the valves out of adjustment and starting heading back to the truck. about 5 miles later the engine dogged down and stalled. i tried kick starting about 5 times and now the kick lever will not move at all. I take prestine care of this bike. any advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

possibly seized bearings thats what happined on my 2 stroke same kind of thing only no ticking more so a little knock and it sounded like i had sand in the engine then it locked up coming into a burm just as i was about to pull over just a thought mate hope its not a big one and i hope you never had as far as i did to push it home it took me 2 n a half hours hahahhaha.............

It may have jumped timing due to a stretched timing chain

I think its pretty hard to get a timing CHAIN to jump teeth

BELTS do it alot...

I think a BROKEN timing chain kinda sorta in a way fits the symptom...if you could kick it several times and then not maybe the chain piled up around the crank sprocket and has jammed....

Since everyone else has proposed a possible failure, I'll chime in as well...

My guess is that you dropped a valve. The right intake to be exact. This allowed you to then kick a bit until the tulip wedged itself between the piston (now shot) and the head (also shot).

Have you had it looked at yet?

The first time I needed a teardown and got a few prices, I decided it's not rocket science and would undertake it myself.

Man was I glad - if you have some mechanical knowledge, it can be done with ease, you only require simple tools and now, because of places like this - you have unlimited help available at your finger tips to make such a job even easier.

Depending on damage, you may have to get a couple of things machined or fitted by shops, but your bottom line will be 1/5th to 1/3 of what you would have to pay a shop.

If my 8 yr old can do a top end and clutch in his bike - you can do this.

The first time I needed a teardown and got a few prices, I decided it's not rocket science and would undertake it myself.

Man was I glad - if you have some mechanical knowledge, it can be done with ease, you only require simple tools and now, because of places like this - you have unlimited help available at your finger tips to make such a job even easier.

Depending on damage, you may have to get a couple of things machined or fitted by shops, but your bottom line will be 1/5th to 1/3 of what you would have to pay a shop.

If my 8 yr old can do a top end and clutch in his bike - you can do this.

sound so easy !