HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fmf-wr

yz timing

8 posts in this topic

Yes Indeed!

If you ride tight technical stuff, I would stay with the WR timing. Anything else I would go with the YZ timing. I don't know what you've done to your bike yet, but do all the free mods and rejet according to your riding style and elevation.

Cheers,

Bryce

After running mine YZ with all the jetting etc I have gone back to stock WR timing and jetting (almost). All the mods make it go harder but I found it was alot higher in the rev range. Great on a motocross track or open country. I ride more technical single tracks (1,2,3 gears) and snotty hills etc where I think WR is best.

Just my opinion.

JB.

I'll have to dis-agree for the reasons JB and Bryce already mentioned...... less throttle response at lower RPM.

For me the YZ timing moved the HP curve up and softened the bottom for a little less, instant snap, off the bottom. IMHO :) Made the bike a little more managable in the tight stuff.

Bill

Here, Here.....Mr. Bill is dead on: YZ timing on my WR has made all the difference in the world running in the tight stuff. Not as difficult to manuver in the really tight handlebar busting areas and Mach 4 with my hair on fire in the intermediate and hill climbing terrain.....I will never go back to WR timing.

Bonzai :)

Originally posted by Bill:

I'll have to dis-agree for the reasons JB and Bryce already mentioned...... less throttle response at lower RPM.

For me the YZ timing moved the HP curve up and softened the bottom for a little less, instant snap, off the bottom. IMHO :) Made the bike a little more managable in the tight stuff.

Bill

I'll have to disagree and agree a little with Bill & Yamakaze. If you have years of riding experience(clutch &throttle control), you can get away with YZ timing. For the person who is new to snappy 4-stroke, I think keeping the WR timing would be a good idea until you get used to the bike and power delivery. I also think it depends on the terrain you are riding in. I ride in all types of terrain up here in Washington State, lots of roots, rocks, mud, & hard-pack and gravelly hilly terrain. I am by no means a expert rider of dirt bikes like Bill or Yamakaze, but just a bloke with a couple years of off-road riding. I do have 18+ years of street-bikes and roadracing though. These WR's are like a recipe, you have to play around with the ingredients until you come out with a product that you like. Find some locals with the same bike and see what they are doing with timing and jetting. I see to many people telling others what jetting to use but live in totally different enviroments and terrain.

My .02

Happy Tuning,

Bryce