Is there an easier way.....

to install an aftermarket fuel screw on an 07 YZ450F???

I installed one today, and the amount of work it took was beyond belief. The seat, tank, muffler, subframe, shock, and engine hangers all had to come off, just so the carb can come out (the carb can't rotate enough to get the stock fuel screw out). Any tips for future work in this vital area would be greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with some good gas!

to install an aftermarket fuel screw on an 07 YZ450F???

I installed one today, and the amount of work it took was beyond belief. The seat, tank, muffler, subframe, shock, and engine hangers all had to come off, just so the carb can come out (the carb can't rotate enough to get the stock fuel screw out). Any tips for future work in this vital area would be greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with some good gas!

All you need to do next time is pull the tank and remove the upper motor mounts-5 bolts....then you can rotate the carb enough..be carefull not to twist to hard and stretch the hotstart cable or you may break the plastic cap. I have always had good luck just lightly seating the screw then backing it out. 9 times out of 10 the spring,washer and o-ring will come out with the screw. I have a special tool i use where i dont even need to do anything but loosen the carb clamps and turn the carb as much as it will go, but if you remove that upper mount....its a piece of cake!

You can do the job without moving the carb at all:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/view/fcr_carb_tool/

The tool set handles the mixture screw, pilot and main jets. In removing the old and installing the new fuel screw, be sure to retrieve all of the original parts (screw, spring, washer, and O-ring). In cases where the new screw comes with its own spring, I find the OEM spring holds the screw in place better, so I use the original.

See also:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556427

Thanks, guys!!!!