HELP Front Brake disc and DNA Rims Problem

OK here's the deal.... Bought BRAND NEW DNA Rims... got BRand new tires..get em all mounted...Brand new Renthal Rear Sprocket...Xring Chain....took my over-sized Front Wave Rotor from old rim (Worked fine)...ALL assembled looking sweet...back the bike out of my barn and i hear a click in the rotor... SH** ,, I thought I had a BENT rotor..No Problem.. I got a BRAND NEW BRAKING over-sized disc.. take it all apart.. re assemble...and now i hear a metal to metal drag.....Take off the caliper check it all out... Reassemble .. Long story short.. when the wheel spins it hits the Retainer clip on the top of the brake pads.. ***?? The only thing I can think of is the DNA hub is whacked..

ANY IDEAS???? PLEASE??? I am not a master wrench-er... but try....

I Have had the Oversized rotor on with No issues.. It only hits at one point in the rotation... Has me stumper.. I am thinking of cutting/grinding the clip just a hair to make it work...

If you use an oversized rotor, you have to use the caliper bracket that matches it in order to prevent the rotor from "bottoming out" in the caliper.

X2 ! Every Braking oversized rotor 260mm - 270mm kit I have used came with the bracket. This is what you need to solve the issue...sounds like you just bought the replacement rotor...I would not grind anything:thumbsdn:

OK Heres the deal... I DID have the Bracket on.. Im not that Dense>> Sheesh>>

The DNA Spacer must be off.. After taking a deep breath ( waiting 24 hours) I went to the BARN.. And ALAS...thru investigative work i calculated that the SPACERS ARE OFF>> I Put a tiny washer BEHIND the disc and BOOM.. 100%....

NOW the real question is... is the bike going to TRACK RIGHT?? Any input??

The DNA Spacer must be off.. After taking a deep breath ( waiting 24 hours) I went to the BARN.. And ALAS...thru investigative work i calculated that the SPACERS ARE OFF>> I Put a tiny washer BEHIND the disc and BOOM.. 100%....

no one is implying you are dense...but more info would help...what year bike? I assume rotor and bracket from the same bike but stock wheels? Correct?

I assume DNA wheels made for said bike?

No help with DNA on if hubs are exact replica/same dimensions of stock hubs?

Spacer may be off - can you try stock spacer? Is the stock spacer the same length as DNA spacer? If it is the same, the DNA hub will not support Yamaha brakes - try the stock rotor to see for yourself....w/o the Braking bracket of course

just some food for thought:

my buddy has the DNA wheel set as well, and has had nothing but problems. it seems like they make one set of spacers for all years, and the spacers that came with his wheels did not work on his 08. after bringing this up with the dealer, they contacted DNA and sourced the correct spacers...only to find out that they were the exact same ones. i simply modified the spacer to work correctly, but not everyone has a metal lathe.

last week he decided to put a new rear sprocket on and noticed that the rear spacers are bending, and have indentations in them where they are hitting the oval hole on the swingarm. seems the alloy of aluminum is not up to par. the front spacers were steel, so you know that they are heavier than the stock parts. these wheels seem like prototype parts.

i bought a set of RAD MFG wheels at the same time that he bought his, and i have had no problems, and have been very happy.

I had problems with my DNa wheels on my 06. The front wheel spacers were machined wrong. They came to my shop, made some measurements and made a new set of spacers.....All i could think was "you get what you pay for". The complete wheelsets were only 450.00. Also the bearings wore out really quick in those wheels.

I am VERY disappointed.....My Friend bought a set for a 07 yz250F...same issue with the spacer..

I will have my spacers cut to fit.. But definitely will NEVER by a DNA rim again..

FYI.. Went riding Thurs and Friday... Front tire is slightly rubbing inside of fender thus due to the SPACER being off..

• 10 months later...

The Saga Continues.... Bearings froze in back rim.. Caused sprocket to shear and cut my swingarm.. So now I need a New Swingarm, Hub, Sprocket AND Bearings.. Could have bought Talons or Excels with no problems ...:crazy:

Also rear wheel spacer is showing signs of compression marks. This is odd cause I torque EVERYTHING to spec!..

DNA needs to get their act together. I recommend no one buys these rims..Save your money..:eek:

Yes, I mentioned in the other thread on DNA wheels that they are a nightmare.

Mine came with a crush sleeve between the spacers inside the hub, try to get that in and out without destroying it. The bearing are oddball size, the spacers are oddball.

I paid $200 for a rear and threw it in the trash with no regrets!

Wish I would have seen this thread last week! I even searched google and the only hit on thumpertalk didn't give any hint about spacer problems.

Just bought a set for my 525 and after mounting up a new sprocket and rotor found that the spacer binds the wheel when tightened. I have to agree that the bearings seem a little suspect as well. I'm surprised by the comment that they use an oddball size as I was led to believe that they used stock KTM bearings. FARK!!!!!

It appears that this is another case of a good deal being too good to be true.

Wish I would have seen this thread last week! I even searched google and the only hit on thumpertalk didn't give any hint about spacer problems.

Just bought a set for my 525 and after mounting up a new sprocket and rotor found that the spacer binds the wheel when tightened. I have to agree that the bearings seem a little suspect as well. I'm surprised by the comment that they use an oddball size as I was led to believe that they used stock KTM bearings. FARK!!!!!

It appears that this is another case of a good deal being too good to be true.

damn that sucks, i almost bought a set and then i searched on here again and read about the spacer problem and i was like naw, ill pass on these.

Let me start by saying that my post last night was just after wrestling with the wheel.

After my post I went back for another look (refusing to believe I bought junk) and discovered that the spacers are not the same left and right. Who would of thought...the stock ones are.

Yep...one is a little longer than the other and is in fact marked with a groove around the outer diameter of the spacer.

For the record, the front spacers are the same for the KTM. The front wheel went together no problems.

So...now I've got these us/china made snacky new wheels mounted up and it's time for the real test.

1600 miles through Oregon and Nevada, 4 guys, no support, no motels.

I don't often find myself in a yamaha forum but will try to remember to update this thread when I get back.

Here's hoping I didn't get ripped off :crazy:

PS...the ebay dealer I bought them from (motoman) was quick to respond to my email, even if it was to tell me to get my head out. Fast ship too.

I also have these wheels and the front spacers were wrong for my '08 so I opened up another set for yamaha and used the other small front spacer out of that set works good but but the front axle seems to get stuck in there quite often.