Best off road tire for the money

I recently bought an 01 wr 426 and it needs new tires. It will only be ridden off road, mostly woods, and fire trails.. What is the best tire to buy for the money. The less expensive the better.

i would have to say hands down ...the maxxis desert-it. the only thing close as far as traction and wear are dunlops 952's. ive put over 800 miles on a set of the maxis in mexico side by side with the 952's and the maxxis held up better! for fire roads,trails,and woods you will LOVE these tires! plus at $119 for a set you cant beat the price....you can get em at places like motosport.com

I can't make any recommendations unless I know the type of dirt you ride on.

I ride mostly Hare Scrambles & Enduros on hard packed sand in Southern Ontario and really like my Michelin M12's or Dunlop 756's but these tires are no good when the guys from around here go out west to Nevada. These tires are too soft and you need a harder compound tire.

I can't make any recommendations unless I know the type of dirt you ride on.

I ride mostly Hare Scrambles & Enduros on hard packed sand in Southern Ontario and really like my Michelin M12's or Dunlop 756's but these tires are no good when the guys from around here go out west to Nevada. These tires are too soft and you need a harder compound tire.

i love the m12 front ...but the rear is the WORST tire ive ever ridden! after two rides that is...brand new it works good in the sand but thats it...just my 2cents

The Bridgestone M602 is my choice favorite. We have a collage of big bikes in our shop with different tire set ups on them and the Bridgestone has the best life expectancy of all of them. We ride alot in the woods around our property and ride at Barnwell Mnt. about two weekends a month. The terrain at barnwell is mostly red rock that will wreak havock on a soft tire. One of the guys that goes with us has a Maxxis motocross tire on his xr400 and he completely ruined it in one ride. If your looking for a tire thats you going to get your moneys worth out of I highly recommend this one.?

The maxxis desert IT is a great tire, tough, gnarly, large foot print, extremely hard carcass and will hook up great in the rocky / desert terrain... I have owned 1 (yes one) for about 4 years now... I mount it up every spring and go do 700 miles or so of desert riding... no flats:thumbsup: This tire still has a year left in it too:applause:

Make no mistake though... it is not an all around off road tire, especially in my neck of the woods (western WA)... a worn down S-12 will run circles around a Maxxis Desert IT in any kind of mud or clay or grass track.

Again, if you want a good cheap tire, I strongly recommend the Sakura Dirt Shark, seldom heard well kept little secret... these are good tires and they are cheap. They will hold up very well in rocks and provide great traction in everything else..

Good luck with whatever you choose but what ever you do... DO NOT mount up a FRONT MAxxis Desert IT, they are dangerous:crazy:

I truly am sold on the Dunlop 952's for multiple terains. I now have a Maxxis IT for the rear and it is good but the knobs are a little close for me cuz I like to brake hard and accelerate quick. It gives good control around the corners and I would never argue that it can be beat for distance. As a front tire I will never wear a Maxxis again. Dont like anything about it and the wear for a front isnt important like the rear. The 952's however give until the end. Jason

Carlsbad Ftw

ive noticed in hard/ loosey rocky conditions ( interior/chilcotin/nicola of bc) my carlsbad hooks nice in corners, i can lean into corners more confidently, and when properly inflated it gives me the perfect amount of slip when i want it but also hooks when i want it to.

Ive ran Millvilles for years in the mud with everything else mixed in and always been just "decent" but when i went into the dryer rocker stuff i was dancing all over the road and wouldnt even think about taking a corner with it, but now with my Carlsbad on there look out!