06450 Fork Oil Level

Hi there, can anyone tell me what the oil level in the forks should be when measured from the top (with the spring out etc). The manual only states a volume but I have lost some oil through badly leaking seals and need to top it up after cleaning the seals out.

Cheers

The '06 is not set to a level, as the older forks are. Unless someone measures their oil level while they fill it, there's no way to know.

Also, you can't measure with the spring out, because with the spring removed, there's a hole in the bottom of the fork.

Ooh I'm kinda stuffed then, I guess I'll have to empty one fork out and refill the outer to the right specs and see if I can measure the oil level accurately.

Cheers

dont know if this works for your bike but i normally get a precision ruler and measure 120mm from the top of the inner fork tube yours may be different whilst you are that far you may as well just put new seals in there its really an easy job do do it will only take you an hour max to do the both forks seem as you say they where leaking so bad the dirt may have put wear on the seals just an opinion cheers mate nathan

To GreyRacers point it is difficult to tell but on the avg it is around 350cc

He knows the amount, but he wants to be able to measure the level and add only what he needs without pulling the forks.

And yes, Nathan, the '06 fork is completely different.

145 ~ 148 mm (5.71 ~ 5.83 in)

From top of fully stretched

damper assem

145 ~ 148 mm (5.71 ~ 5.83 in)

From top of fully stretched

damper assem

That is the inner cartridge pre-assembly levellevel. He is trying to find the level for the outer chamber.

I got the same issue, need to know the stock oil volume for the outer chamber (06 yz450F). I measured the inner level at 150 mm prior to seal/wiper replacement, but I believe the outer chamber is set by volume. I never got the owners mannual from my dealer, left over 06 in 07! I took a guess and tossed in 200cc an hour ago, looks like I'm 150cc short if

Ga426Owner is correct.

I got the same issue, need to know the stock oil volume for the outer chamber (06 yz450F). I measured the inner level at 150 mm prior to seal/wiper replacement, but I believe the outer chamber is set by volume. I never got the owners mannual from my dealer, left over 06 in 07! I took a guess and tossed in 200cc an hour ago, looks like I'm 150cc short if

Ga426Owner is correct.

Another one who didn't look in Common Threads. Download a manual;

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

The listed outer volume is 350cc. I run a little less, but I'm using a much different fluid.

The inners have to be filled, have all the air worked out, then they must be compressed fully and filled up to at least the listed level of 145mm from the top. Then, the base valve assembly is inserted as the rod is allowed to extend. Once the valve is screwed down, the rods are fully compressed to force out any excess oil, and that oil is dumped out before installing the cartridge. They can be under filled, but not over filled.

Another one who didn't look in Common Threads. Download a manual;

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/c...ce/manuals.jsp

Thanks, I must have missed it in Common Threads. I've been riding and working on my bikes for 42 years, but I'm kind of new to forums! Thanks again, great site! I got to go read the manual now, to see what else I might have messed up!