HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wr400schek

A Kid On A Yz450f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41 posts in this topic

Hi guys, im 13 yearsold I ride a 99 wr400 and I think I ride pretty good my dad says that I ride with no fear and im looking to upgrade on a yz450f and I just wanted your guys opion if I should stick with my 400 or get a yz450f thanks,

Well I am 20 years old 6'0 and 180 lbs. but i just made the jump to a yz450F off of a yz125, that i became fearless on, a few weeks ago and it was a very easy transition. The power on the more recent 450's is so smooth an predicatable they make for a very easy and fun bike to ride. I would say if your riding fearless on a wr400 (which has way more power than my old 125) then go for the 450. Plus its probably about 30 lbs. lighter so you wont be slingin around nearly as much weight.

i say go for it, it will have more power plus it will handle and jump ALOT better then the older bike

you may ride with no fear but do you feel that the bike is holding you back from going faster/being a better rider? i think youre a little young for a 450. how big are you?

Im 5 11 185 pounds and 17 years old (and in good shape) and last year i got on a 07 yz 450 from a ktm 200sx which didnt have half the power the 450 does. I dont even think your wr 400 will come close to comparing to a newer yz450. (my buddies 06 wr 450 doesnt) If you do trail riding depending on your height and weight you may have a real rough time picking the bike up and controlling it in unpredictable trail environments such as steep hills and muddy conditions due to lack of height. Unless your a monster for your age i would say get on a 250f at the MOST. You would be faster and probably have way more fun. Keep in mind this bike will kick you in the pants if your not prepared for it :thumbsup:

Get on a honda crf 150f those bikes are so sweet!

PS. a few of my friends ride with no fear that doesnt make them good riders. Probably makes them worse! They spend alot of time gettin smashed up

I'd try to borrow one for a few hours if not a day. Your age is not a limiting factor because there are other 13 year olds racing 250F and 450F's on mx tracks. The 12 and 13 year olds I've seen on the bigger bikes, racing intermediate or expert, were at least 5'5" and/or weighed at least 125 pounds.

As far as touching and lifting the bike off-road, only you know if you're strong and tall enough. On a related note, the 15 year old kid leading the AMA Hare Scrambles National Championship weighs 210 pounds, and he rides both a KTM 105 and a 250 and I know he could do it on a 450...but he has more control and more fun on the smaller bikes.

Hi guys, im 13 yearsold I ride a 99 wr400 and I think I ride pretty good my dad says that I ride with no fear and im looking to upgrade on a yz450f and I just wanted your guys opion if I should stick with my 400 or get a yz450f thanks,

I'd have to say that you should probably go with a 250F. Like stated above your wr400 will be noting compared to a 450 race bike. Your bikes power is probably closer to a newer 250f than a 450f. The 250f will be lighter and easier to handle for a kid like you unless you're ripped and are 6 feet tall.:thumbsup:

Just because you can handle it doesn`t make a 400 or a 450 a good bike for a 13yr old. I raised 4 kids that I made each one spend a year on a 125 2-smoke. There is so much that a 125 will teach you that no other bike will. Once you learn to keep a 125 on the pipe and ride it hard you will have learned skills that will benefit you the rest of your life that you ride. Most kids today go from an 85 right to a 4-stroke and I think that is a mistake.

Just my opinion.

If you can keep that 125 going and ride it hard, keep the corner speed up and come out of a corner hard on a 125, you will do better when you get on a 4 stroke. I agree after that you will be able to ride anything. I just got a CR125 from my nephew. I helped them out by purchasing it pretty much just as a joke. I love riding it coming from both a 450 and a 250f. It's more exciting, mentally, than the 450.

im 5'8 200 pounds solid

WoW :thumbsup:

anyhow ide honestly say take it easy your 13 you have a ton of time to ride get it done the right way.

Like buddy said above 2 strokes are a nice way to learn, it gives you a real appreciation for the 4stroking!

If you can keep that 125 going and ride it hard, keep the corner speed up and come out of a corner hard on a 125, you will do better when you get on a 4 stroke. I agree after that you will be able to ride anything. I just got a CR125 from my nephew. I helped them out by purchasing it pretty much just as a joke. I love riding it coming from both a 450 and a 250f. It's more exciting, mentally, than the 450.

i went from an 85 to a 250f and now a 450F and i ride the four strokes heaps better than i could ever ride the 85, i hopped back on a friends 125 last year and rode it perfect too, four strokes also help you learn just as much as a two stroke

Stick with the 400 or a 250 unless u have big balls and you think you can ride a 450 I myself have small balls and sold my 450 for a 250f

No way, a 450 is not the bike to get. First of all, you are likely too small for one and you wont be able to throw it around easy enough, the suspension probably wont work right for you either. And if you plan to ride motocross, you will learn VERY FAST, that being able to throw the bike around and put it where it needs to go, is very important, not only to be fast on the track but also for your safety. You dont want a bike that is going to take you for a ride you need a bike that YOU can take for a ride, get what i'm saying. So i would recommend a 250F, or a 125 two stroke.

Get the 450, If i can survive goin from a YZ80 to a YZ426 i think you should be able to handle the 450 with no problems.

Get the 450, If i can survive goin from a YZ80 to a YZ426 i think you should be able to handle the 450 with no problems.

It is not about surviving, it is about learning to ride properly. Normally a progression works well.