Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
P51Mustang

'99 Yz400 Buying Guidance Needed

14 posts in this topic

I'm considering buying a '99 YZ400. I've seen the bike and it's very clean, no leakage or other obvious problems. Are there any peculiarities with this make/model of bike that I should know about and investigate before I make the "Buy" decision?

Thanks.

The 400's where good bikes. If its clean and well cared for, then go for it. :thumbsup:

I agree that if the bike is clean and has been well cared for, then buy it. Before you make the deal, ask the owner to pull off the oil filter because you want to see if there is metal in it. If he does not know how to pull the filter, I would consider that to be a sign that maybe the bike was not that well maintained.

Price makes a difference, of course. If he wants more than about $1600, you may want to consider a newer model, like a 426 or older 450.

If its in good condition... buy it!!!!!!

I would just check the oil filter (as stated in earlier posts), check the radiator fluid (the bike can sometimes over heat with old fluid) and check the clutch (when you ride it... make sure its not slipping or dragging).

Also..... Check the wheel bearings and the rear suspension linkage bearings are good because its a bitch to change.

After repairing all of that on my 1999 YZ400F.... The bike is totally awesome!!!!

The 400s have a bunch of Torque and its a blast to ride!!!!!

The best thing is that in a few years..... The bike will be Vintage and allowed to race with all the classic dirt bikes!!!!

Patrick M.

If its in good condition... buy it!!!!!!

I would just check the oil filter (as stated in earlier posts), check the radiator fluid (the bike can sometimes over heat with old fluid) and check the clutch (when you ride it... make sure its not slipping or dragging).

Also..... Check the wheel bearings and the rear suspension linkage bearings are good because its a bitch to change.

After repairing all of that on my 1999 YZ400F.... The bike is totally awesome!!!!

The 400s have a bunch of Torque and its a blast to ride!!!!!

The best thing is that in a few years..... The bike will be Vintage and allowed to race with all the classic dirt bikes!!!!

Patrick M.

When will vintage status kick-in??? by vintage, you mean "non-current" class?

I have my YZ400F for sale but I'm thinking of keeping it (especially since I bought it brand new and it's got really low time on it, maybe 100 hours) since I won't get much for it anyhow.

In many organizations, the 400 will never be vintage unless the rules change. Most of them don't allow bikes with disc brakes.

In many organizations, the 400 will never be vintage unless the rules change. Most of them don't allow bikes with disc brakes.

In that case maybe it'll fit in the "non-current" class after a certain number of years . . . if there is such a class.

Every outfit is different. Some go by year, others limit suspension travel or brake design, or say nothing with linkages, or some combination. :thumbsup:

I know that most of the organizations in my area consider "Vintage" based on how old the bike is....

So...... my bike will be "Vintage" in a couple of years. :thumbsup::p:cry:

Patrick M.

I know that most of the organizations in my area consider "Vintage" based on how old the bike is....

So...... my bike will be "Vintage" in a couple of years. :thumbsup::p:cry:

Patrick M.

I'm hoping for that here in my neck of the woods!

What makes you think the guys with the '73 CZ's are going to put up with you riding a YZ400 in their class? :thumbsup:

What makes you think the guys with the '73 CZ's are going to put up with you riding a YZ400 in their class? :thumbsup:

Ha ha, one of my riding buddies has a '73 380 . . . he probably won't put up with it!

I bought my yz400f in 1998 brand new and the bike has been an awesome bike and i have been wanting a new one but as long as it runs good and is just as fast or faster than the new 450s i havent twisted my arm to buy a new bike.