Looking at picking up a 2001 WR426

How are these for tight trail?

I ride a YZ125 and just want something bigger.

The bike im looking at is $1800, the bike has:

2001 Wr 426,

I bought it from the original owner back in 2002. The bike is in good shape for being 7 years old. It still has all the original plastics. I recently had valves checked and they were in great shape. I replaced the tires, they each have about 3-4 rides on them. The bike has never been in sand or mud. list of parts-

~PRO taper bars

~Moose bark busters

~Moose skidplate

~GYTR shark fin

~Works Connection radiator braces

~Moose front and rear fender bags

~Renthal aluminum 52T sprocket, I also have the stock one.

~Works frame guards

~Acerbis front disc guard

~UNI air filter

~GYTR performance exhaust insert

thats the guys description.

What do you guys think, in the pics it looks pretty clean, not spotless but clean.

Any input would help.

-ljparton[155x]

the 426 is a great bike. They have more bark than a new 450. only problum i have found with them is there weight. But the top end is bullet proff and they ride nice. For the price i would say its a good deal. You just wana adjsut your valves and find out if he has done the free upgrades.

it well not ride like your 125 you well have to lug it not rev. and you well love the power if you have to hill climb.

it would be used on fire roads, and on rocky, rutted out uphill climbs that make my 125 look like a fiddy

$1800 is a steal for a super clean 01. I just sold my 02 for $2700, took 5 days (in Utah w/ steet plate). The 426 will feel like it weighs twice as much as the 125 - beware. They are a real workout in the tight stuff.

But the more throttle, the lighter it feels:thumbsup:

Thats a great price and the best thing is you can get the 01 street legal put a baja designs kit on it and you're riding to work or ........

can the 2001 really be made street legal in CA?

Technically, no but, some bikes are still slipping through the cracks. The word is that some guys who got their bike plated after the cutoff point are getting their plates revoked. I'm certainly glad that I did mine a several years back. Your best bet is to buy a bike from out of state that already has a plate on it and then you can transfer it over to California.

im going to check out the bike tommorrow, and i was wondering what things i should specifically look for before purchasing?

Thank,

Logan

Logan,

I have had many bikes, I had the 01 WR426 for 3 years. Great bike, but be aware of the starting Drill. You need to compression release the piston through Top Dead Center or you can break your ankle. The 03 electric starts are they same weight and they can be kick started without the "Drill".

$1800 is a good price the '03s are $1,000 more. If you are young 'Kick Starting' isn't that big a deal

Everybody changes plastics to make them look clean. Look at the wear on the engine where your boot rides. Look at the air filter and oil to see how he has maintained it. The sprocket will show smaller and worned teeth if its been riden alot.

Good Luck

Jeff

im going to check out the bike tommorrow, and i was wondering what things i should specifically look for before purchasing?

Thank,

Logan

For first start it up and warm it up properly, when you take a testride see that all gears gets in and out easy and stays in.

See that the clutch works properly and not pulls when engaged.

Let it idle and try to adjust the idle down so much that it almost dies.

If you get some real low idle the engine seems to be tight and in good shape.

Of course it cant be any extreme noise from the engine but these engines tends to have some noise especially when riding in low rpm:s in high gears.

Check out the bearings in wheels and swingarms.

Check out the brake rotors, if they are worn out, it indicates the maintenance have been bad and he have'nt cared to change brake pads and surely not other things to.

And hey, dont forget to check out the first thing to check, THE OIL.

how has an 8 year old trail bike never seen mud?

i ended up picking it up, i could tell he really maintained it, no mechanical flaws at all.

But the plastics have seen better days, being the originals.

What plastics from what years will fit?

I want to keep the headlight and run a mx rear fender.

Also, do they sell reaplacement headlight shrouds, cause this one has a few scracthes and i'd like to freshen the whole thing up.

i ended up picking it up, i could tell he really maintained it, no mechanical flaws at all.

But the plastics have seen better days, being the originals.

What plastics from what years will fit?

I want to keep the headlight and run a mx rear fender.

Also, do they sell reaplacement headlight shrouds, cause this one has a few scracthes and i'd like to freshen the whole thing up.

My advice is to relly learn how to run this bike before changing to new plastics. It's inevitable tocrash sometimes when learning a bikes limits.

Get new plastics for the sec year instead:thumbsup:

My advice is to relly learn how to run this bike before changing to new plastics. It's inevitable tocrash sometimes when learning a bikes limits.

Get new plastics for the sec year instead:thumbsup:

that usually doesnt take me long.

what year yz tank/seat will fit?

that usually doesnt take me long.

what year yz tank/seat will fit?

98-02 seat and tank, front and rear fenders. 00-02 shrouds (YZ and WR are the same). You can get a new headlight shroud, but they are kinda pricey...