HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
04WR450man

Weird rear wheel bearing problem!

5 posts in this topic

Hi :p

I fitted some new (original Yamaha ) rear wheel bearings at the weekend to my '04 model WR450. The problem is the wheel still has the same side to side play!

Is there anything else that wears out, I didn't replace the dust/oil seals as they looked fine, the bearings went in straight etc........... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Trev.

Is the play in the hub or the rim?

Are your spokes tight?

Is it the whole swingarm moving?

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

The play is definitely in the hub, no play in the rim + spokes etc are tight. Also swingarm and linkage are all good.

Maybe I just got some duff bearings or could the spindle in the hub be damaged/worn out somehow?

Thanks

Trev.

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

The play is definitely in the hub, no play in the rim + spokes etc are tight. Also swingarm and linkage are all good.

Maybe I just got some duff bearings or could the spindle in the hub be damaged/worn out somehow?

Thanks

Trev.

Yes, the Axle, as we call it over here could be the issue but it would be pretty evident when looking at it. The surfaces of it would have to be pretty worn out.

Hi :p

I fitted some new (original Yamaha ) rear wheel bearings at the weekend to my '04 model WR450. The problem is the wheel still has the same side to side play!

Is there anything else that wears out, I didn't replace the dust/oil seals as they looked fine, the bearings went in straight etc........... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Trev.

What do you mean by "side to side play"? Is the wheel moving left and right when mounted in the swingarm, or is it tipping at an angle when mounted in the swingarm?

If the bearings are the proper size - they fit snugly into the hub and the axle fits snugly through the center of the bearing, then you should not be able to "rock" or tip the wheel when mounted. Looking from behind the bike with the wheel mounted, if you push the top of the wheel to the left, and the bottom of the wheel to the right, there should be no movement.

If the wheel will slide from left to right (while still being vertical, no tipping), that would mean that the wheel assembly isn't properly filling the gap between the 2 sides of the swingarm. You may have an improperly sized or possibly a missing spacer.

Frosty