lets see the Drz 125's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Most of us have seen it...but just in case Tomsdrz003.jpgTomsdrz001-1.jpgServiceHonda062.jpg I know its not a suzuki...just thought I would show you the other option when one hobby is riding...and the other is building a bike...kinda (the suzuki is ALWAYS in pieces being modded more....so I ride the honda its a 150 big wheel frame with a 250f motor, about as fun as it gets....)

Tom

• Like 1

Well....I would like to say I did it...but there is a company that builds them (using a 150r frame.) The mods are extensive. I looked into it and decided that it was a bit much for me to tackle. Once it arrived I noticed several things...the pegs were to high, the bars to close and the swing arm was to short. So I lowered the pegs 2", got a tall seat, a triple clamp that had adjustment, and extended the swingarm by 2". The biggest problem with the motor swap is needing to cut and extend the front of the engine cradle (if you look in the pics, you can see it has an "S" in it now to give the needed clearance. The bike has a hand made aluminum airbox....way obove my ability Im afraid. I started my own project with a kx100 and a 250f motor, and ran into the same problems....then found this....my mini bike of my dreams :ride: It is the funnest thing to ride ever...but still doesnt take the place of a big bike....I just purchased a nice RM 250 off of craigslist to scratch the itch...(sorry, I have ridden it once and am a proud pappa...) I have a 7 acre track in the back yard that is a little on the small side for the RM, so thats where the honda and DRZ earn thier keep! ? One day the DRZ will be all dialed in and I wont have to mod it anymore.....ya right.... ServiceHondaApr2208016.jpgMudslingersfinallyMonsterhouse001.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

Bruce....dont even get me started....if I had half your knowledge, (and your parts inventory...) I could build them instead of buy them. I can do the little stuff, welding, extending bla bla (thank god my DRZ is 1960s air cooled technology...haha) luckily technology is so good theres not much to do to these machines these days. My pride and joy is still my little DRZ that always seems to be in pieces.....with me asking questions on the best ways to put it back together better than before (I have been building my DRZ for 6 years now) poor thing...And good for you alex, I heard you have torn that rm all the way down and back up again....NICE! ? Thats the other reason I love two strokes....anybody with a little confidence and a basic understanding can dive in head first and come out smelling like a rose. (That would be me....) You true motor heads are the reason I come to the site! thanks!!

Tom

I have done a bottom end rebuild on that bastard twice and new suspension bearings and a ton of other stuff. I'm probably getting a 2004 KLX 125 sometime soon here for a trail bike, plus they are bullet proof and get good gas mileage instead the crappy 30mpg the 2 stroke gets.?

• 1 month later...

DRZSuzook , i have the opportunity to buy a 1986 kx80 with inverted forks(race ones) and back shock, swing arm and wheels with disc brakes for 200 bucks, but i was wondering if they would fit on my drz125 small wheel(03), and is it hard to install myself?.. any suggestions from anyone? thanks

heres a pic of the 03 i picked up 2 weeks ago for 250

<a  href=cidcp10427091232.jpg' alt='cidcp10427091

as you can see the hub is shot, and under further insp cracked frame at rear fender. I plan on a complete tear down and build up with gussets

DRZSuzook , i have the opportunity to buy a 1986 kx80 with inverted forks(race ones) and back shock, swing arm and wheels with disc brakes for 200 bucks, but i was wondering if they would fit on my drz125 small wheel(03), and is it hard to install myself?.. any suggestions from anyone? thanks

couldn't really answer that one for you, but I think someone on here had successfully adpated a similar shock to their drz

• 3 weeks later...

Will a different shock-- like an RM85 or KX85/100 shock fit the DRZ? Or is a shortened CR/CRF150R the only one that will work? I could cut off the upper chain roller from the frame, and relocate it to the subframe so it won't inter fere with the res. I like the KX shock because the res comes straight off the shock body, abd will offer more clearance from the frame tube. Anyone know anything about this? --L*64