tire spreader

I've changed about 5 tires on my motorcycles now and the hardest part is getting the rim into the tire, even with a second set of hands. I change it the way it is demonstrated in the transworld motorcross video tutorial. A tire spreader would make the job a lot easier, either a home made one or manufactured. I don't have an easy way to heat the tire so that is not an option. I found this

tirespreader.jpg

It's $75 and looks like you have to manually spread the tire which is ok but I can't tell if there is some way to hold it in the spread position, it doesn't give many details with the product information. If you use a spreader let me know how it works for you.

You could install both sides of the tire from the same side of the rim (old school, but it hasn't stopped working because it went out of style).

That spreader appears to be made so as to go over center and lock itself in the spread position.

You could install both sides of the tire from the same side of the rim (old school, but it hasn't stopped working because it went out of style).

That's the way I do it.

That spreader appears to be made so as to go over center and lock itself in the spread position.

We use a spreader like that on ATV tires. Or when we put a plug in the tire. it is made to stay in the open posistion. Or cruiser tires that come packaged together flat. It makes seating the bead easierif you spread them out first. I never heard of "putting a rim inside a tire". You should almost be able to fit the tire over the rim by hand on the one side, then use a couple good tire irons to finish the other side.<working from the same side of the rim> I don't know, its just easier to do it or show someone how to do it then to explain it.

I never heard of "putting a rim inside a tire".

I discovered this method long ago when I caught an apprentice making a mistake. He pulled one bead off toward himself, and pulled the tube, like he was shown, but then flipped the tire and pulled the opposite bead off toward himself, too. As I was showing him how he had goofed up, the rim almost feel free of the tire on its own. I've taken tires off that way ever since, not bothering to remove the tube until the rim was out.

Where I've had help to spread the bead, I install them that way, too. put the tube in the tire with enough air to make it behave, spread the bead and stuff the rim in. Insert the valve stem, and run both beads on from the outsides. Very easy.

If you have a tire machine to work with, there's no point, but for the tire levers on the floor types, it works well.

I remember trying to switch my nobbie tire to a paddle tire and it was a b*tch. And after that I never did it again. I now pay 10 bucks to my local motorcycle shop and have them do it. A lot easier that way. :thumbsup:

It depends on how you look at it. To have a shop do it, you have to pull the wheel, haul it down to the shop (during their business hours), wait around while they get to it, then pay for it and cart it home. Not worth it to me. Changing tires is way too easy. If it was tough, the shop would charge a lot more for it.