Changing a WR Tire

? OK - How many of you use both rim locks on your WR?

I hate changing the tire on mine....my CRF is a piece of cake with only one rim lock. Are all of you still running both of them? Do you have any secrets for tire changes? The maxxis video that is floating around is great to follow if you have 1 rim lock, but does not address wheels like the WR's

Any ideas or input?

I flipped my rear tire by myself one evening as I had to know how just in case on the trail i get into some dificult situation. (3) 8.5 " Motion Pro tire irons and a lot of muscle. Took a while but I did it.

Also, IMO the second lock is on the wr's/crfX as the enduro's tend to be used for crawling over largs rocks, bolders, fallen trees, river crossings and such. This is the most reason for the second wheel lock. If you plan on doing track with the WR? than I would say only one lock is needed.

Just my $.02

Changing tires.... I still have scars all over my knuckles.

Then I got the 3rd tire iron. That's the secret.

I can change my tire with both rim locks in 20 minutes. With only two tire irons, I was never able to get the tire on or off the rim.

Good Luck.

go to www.motopowervideo.com. they have a nice DVD which walks you through the process.

for me it only takes an extra minute to install the second rimlock, I personally dont see the big deal with changing tires......

Im with you on this,

If you are struggling with changing tires your doing it wrong.

Personally I find 19" rears to be the hardest because of the short sidewalls.

One trick I have learned for removing a tire is to lever both beads off on both sides of the rim so the rim falls between the beads and is much easier to remove.

I have no problem changing a tire on any other machine.....CRF, YZ etc.....Its just the dang 2nd wheel lock that gives me a hard time.

I will try it out tonight and see if I can get 'er done.

I have changed the tire before, it's just much tougher than my other bikes. ?

One or two rimlocks makes no difference really. After the first hundred or so, you'll be changing them in your sleep. Three long tire irons with the big curve (like the often copied Michelin original ones), real tire mounting lube from Camel, heavy tubes and gloves. Practice, practice, practice

Do a search and you will find many (including myself) only run one rim lock with no problems.

2 rimlocks are good idea -

1. The 18" tire equates to more rotating mass than a 19", while I have not actually seen it happen, this may be engineered to prevent tire slippage from a 18" tire.

2. Offroad riding vs. MX presents terrain that will be more likely to cause your tire to slip.

3. Riding out on a flat with 2 rimlocks is a lot more effective than doing it with just one.

I also second the WD-40 as a lube for the beads.

I've been running 1 rim-lock on my wr since day one, with no problems, just tape up the extra hole from the inside of the rim.

I find that a little dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle works well, and won't potentially slip like WD-40 might?

The best thing I've found for changing tires is a bead buddy. You can get one from rocky mountain pretty cheap, or get the original design that rocky mtn copied from motion pro for more $$$.

With a bead buddy, 2 good levers and some soapy water, its almost too easy!