Question for Grey or Burned

I know this isn't the 150R forum but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere about my son's bike. I've searched for hours and posted about this several times and nothing recommended has worked. My son's 07 150R has never idled right since new. When the climate was colder, I had to use a 45 pilot just to get it to idle at all. I have to run the idle high so it doesn't stall in the turns and even then, if you stop and let the bike run for a few minutes with high idle, it will eventually just drop off and die. To crank it, you have to disregard the general 4 stroke cranking method and give it some throttle WHILE cranking it. With the hotter weather I've went back to a 42 pilot and it runs better but does not idle any better. I've cleaned all of the jets and the A/P nozzle a couple of times and none ever appeared to be clogged. There is one thing that seemed a little odd. When I removed the A/P diaphram the first time there was a rough area with residue under where the spring sits, much like rust. I cleaned it the best I could but it didn't seem relevent at the time. Sorry to post in this thread but I wanted to ask someone who knows what the hell they are talking about. You can move the post if you need too.

Check the slide, I bet it is in upside down. Should be square end down.

It's never been out. Even still, doesn't it make the bike run like crap? The bike runs good it just won't idle.

Biznet, I bought my daughter a 2006 crf150f last year, and I have tried just about everthing to try and get it to idle better/ at all. The response I always get is that "they are cold blooded". What a bunch of crap! Honda has really disappointed me. My 06 crf450x has valve problems, the 150 wont idle properly......Both were bought brand new so I know for a fact that they were not taken apart by the previous owner.

I dont have an answer for you, but at least you know you are not alone. :thumbsup:

I have resorted to constantly adjusting the idle speed to match the conditions. If its cold I turn it way up and then after it warms up I adjust it back down to an acceptable level. Usually she has to hold the kill switch for about 6 seconds to get it to shut down, because it is idling so high.

It could simply be that the cam timing on the little beast is too aggressive to allow a stable idle.

But answer this: does the idle "hang" when the throttle is closed, with the rpm dropping sort of slowly to idle, or does it drop so fast that the engine nearly dies?

In the first case, the indication is lean, or a diluted intake charge due to leaking intake valves, or as I said, long cam timing. The second case would indicate being too rich.

It could simply be that the cam timing on the little beast is too aggressive to allow a stable idle.

But answer this: does the idle "hang" when the throttle is closed, with the rpm dropping sort of slowly to idle, or does it drop so fast that the engine nearly dies?

In the first case, the indication is lean, or a diluted intake charge due to leaking intake valves, or as I said, long cam timing. The second case would indicate being too rich.

It's kind of hard to answer. The idle is purposely set high so that it will idle at all. If the bike is fully warmed, and with the idle set high, it will drop normally to the high idle rpm's after goosing the throttle. If I let it sit for about a minute idling after that, it will eventually drop off and die. I'm about ready to drop it off a cliff and kill it. I will check the valve clearances and do a leak check but with there so many having problems like this I suspect you are correct about the aggressive cam. The thumb fuel screw fell out of it today, probably from twisting on the damn thing so much. Thanks Grey. If this needs to be moved or removed I understand.