WR very hard work for Enduro

I had my suspension rebuilt by a race mechanic. It has improved my bike tremendously. It cost me though.

so the axle didnt help you dazzabb?

It made my WR feel totally different

Im 44 and have been a 125 rider my whole life

But now I am totally digging my 04 450. If I had to buy a new bike I honestly dont know what I would get.Its so fast with the pipe and the cam and the oring mod.I live in South Jersey with sand and tight trees too. Sorry you arent liking your bike as much as I am.

I'm not going to have mine rebuilt. I probably won't keep mine much into next year. I want to get it to where I can see how I'll do at the winter XC races and if I see that I can get good enough that I'll enjoy it I'll buy a YZ. If I can't, I'll get another quad. I could run Pro with ease on 4 wheels and a good bike.

3. raise those forks in the clamps. For the sake of testing, go to the other end of the spectrum and just see if you can get it to stick. Rasie them 10mm.

4. Set the rear sag to 100 max.

5. add just a little more compression dampening on the rear.

The front end should stick. But you may have a bit of headshake at high speeds. Then back off the settings a little to fine tune it. Go up 1lb of air in the front if you have to.

ok, so i dropped the trees another 5mm (5 from the notch, 10 dwn from the cap), spun the rear spring ring up one revolution and increased the rear compression one click. did a short test run down the RR tracks behind my house

BIG difference! it's hard to tell how it will do in the really twisty stuff but it definitely feels much more stable in the turns. it did get a little twitchy at speed but i just cranked up the stabilizer a 1/2 a turn and that solved that. it was kicking around a little in the rear do set the compression back one and i really think it is much closer to correct. i was able to do some slower turns and roll on the power and instead of it pushing the front, it kinda layed over and kicked out, MUCH easier to manage!! i can ride power slides no problem (my lowrider will do that all day on the street)

i really think the previous owner was much heavier than me and while it's still oversprung a little, i had it pushed all the way up in the front and set up to compensate for his weight and at 180 (and hi bars) i just couldn't get enough weight over the front.

don't get me wrong, i'll be the first one to admit if i'm having a skill issue but i KNEW my skill level was better than that and something wasn't right. the thing is, the same thing happened when i out skilled mediocre, generic off the shelf surfboards...i got good..then got worse. when i went to a different set up designed more for me, i got better. i just needed to dial it in for me.

i understand that a lot of people get lucky (or just accepting) on a set up and don't really know how to diagnose a problem and subsequent solution. it's shocking how many "experts" who've "..been riding since i was 5" don't really know/understand how changes actually affect a bike's performance.

thanks for all the help yall!!

now if i can just tone down the low end brutality of the cam he put in there, i'll be good. (thinkin' either a bigger sprocket or heavier flywheel)

so the axle didnt help you dazzabb?

It made my WR feel totally different

Im 44 and have been a 125 rider my whole life

But now I am totally digging my 04 450. If I had to buy a new bike I honestly dont know what I would get.Its so fast with the pipe and the cam and the oring mod.I live in South Jersey with sand and tight trees too. Sorry you arent liking your bike as much as I am.

Hey Max,

The Rekluse axle helped alot! A vast improvement over standard but still very hard work in the tight stuff - I thought with all the mods I might be able to get it to turn as I'd hoped but twas not to be.

As I said in the original post I never bought this bike with the intention of racing, just for got it as a trail bike. Its horses for courses really, so I'm getting a KTM 300 and try to take racing more seriously.

As many have pointed out practice and technique will improve turning, but I'm almost certain I'll be able to ride a 300 2T faster within days of getting it, I had 5 years on 2T before the WR.

Won't be selling the WR though, too much time, money and effort invested and I still really enjoy riding it on the trails. Now I'll have the best of both worlds.....

Hey Max,

The Rekluse axle helped alot! A vast improvement over standard but still very hard work in the tight stuff - I thought with all the mods I might be able to get it to turn as I'd hoped but twas not to be.

As I said in the original post I never bought this bike with the intention of racing, just for got it as a trail bike. Its horses for courses really, so I'm getting a KTM 300 and try to take racing more seriously.

As many have pointed out practice and technique will improve turning, but I'm almost certain I'll be able to ride a 300 2T faster within days of getting it, I had 5 years on 2T before the WR.

Won't be selling the WR though, too much time, money and effort invested and I still really enjoy riding it on the trails. Now I'll have the best of both worlds.....

I blew a piston the first day of the Idaho City 100 on, my YZ250 last year and, sat out the rest of the day. I really wanted to ride the next day so, my buddy loaned me his 07 KTM 300. The maneuverability of the bike was great and, has a very good transmission for woods riding! The only thing that I did not like was was, it revved out way faster then my YZ. The thing I like about the YZ is, that it has incredible motor that, seems to just pull to the moon! I guess both, bikes have there good and, bad points but, I am a horse power junkie...
I have had three very frustrating years on my wr450 riding enduro's an desert scrambles. It just doesn't turn as sharp as I would like and I have spend thousands in dollars and time trying to get it right (including a professionally done suspension)

A few months ago, I got a yz250 to race on (fed up with the wr). Its so light and flickable and turns on a dime. After riding it, I then set out to make the wr handle more like the yz. I dropped the forks in the clamps already but that didn't help. I though the problem was the forks, but it is really in the rear shock. Its too soft and too bouncy. Nice for play rides, but bad for turning at speed. So I decided to set my sag from 100 to 90 and go two clicks stiffer on the rear compression dampening.

Now my wr turns really, really well. Even a couple of my riding buddies noticed a difference. I will probably go to to 95 on the sag for comparison purposes. The point is... I think that everyone has a different riding style and your bike needs to be setup in a way that works for you. The book is a good starting point only.

I do get some very slight headshake at about 60mph, but I rarely if ever go that fast. I just crank up my steering dampner a little.

Good luck.

Bingo... It was a lot better.

Maurice, are you a big guy or little guy? Serious question here folks. Cause I have thought that my 07 WR450 seems to be bouncy in the rear. I am 260 lbs. so am looking for comparison.

ok, so i dropped the trees another 5mm (5 from the notch, 10 dwn from the cap), spun the rear spring ring up one revolution and increased the rear compression one click. did a short test run down the RR tracks behind my house

BIG difference! ...

excellent!

I am no expert, but I have come to learn that the standard settings are a starting point and you have to adjust for your riding style and ability. When your riding skills improve, so will your settings.

Do yourself a big, big favor and ride down your settings and experiences. Keep a journal. As you ride different places and make changes, you will want to go back to the settings as they were on a certain day or for a specific area.

Keep a log.

Maurice, are you a big guy or little guy? Serious question here folks. Cause I have thought that my 07 WR450 seems to be bouncy in the rear. I am 260 lbs. so am looking for comparison.

I am about 210lbs. I seriously needed new springs, especially for the rear. At 260, its critical you get new springs. That bouncing is not good. If you start going faster or hit anything at speed, you will feel it (not in a good way)

I am about 210lbs. I seriously needed new springs, especially for the rear. At 260, its critical you get new springs. That bouncing is not good. If you start going faster or hit anything at speed, you will feel it (not in a good way)

Thank You!

I agree I had way more fun racing enduros in socal on my yz 250 w/ wide ratio tranny than on my wr they are very top heavy and don't turn well in the the tight stuff but fot a wide open trail ride you can't beat them set it up for dual sport and you've got a great combo. the KTM 300 is the bike for the tighter enduro's