WR very hard work for Enduro

I broke my foot when my front end washed out. The problem is the D739. Its a slippery ass tire. You might as well put chicken grease on your tires.

I ride in the desert in Socal. This is what worked better for me.

1. put on a Dunlop 756 on the front, ultra HD tube, run 12 to 13lbs of pressure. The 756 is sticky and will not wash out like the 739. But you hve to change out that 756 long before it looks worn. I get 10 rides out of mine. The rubber will get hard and it will slip and slide.

2. go in a click or two on your fork rebound. You need it to stick and hold and little longer

3. raise those forks in the clamps. For the sake of testing, go to the other end of the spectrum and just see if you can get it to stick. Rasie them 10mm.

4. Set the rear sag to 100 max.

5. add just a little more compression dampening on the rear.

The front end should stick. But you may have a bit of headshake at high speeds. Then back off the settings a little to fine tune it. Go up 1lb of air in the front if you have to.

thanks for the input yall!!!

check that on the tire, i do have the 756. maybe i will change to the maxxis. i have the IT on the rear and bought a front but the more i read, i see that it might make things worse. i do have ultra HD tubes and run in the 12's range and that has helped, anything above 14 was brutal, i thought i was riding on marbles and it was impossible to keep the front end under me.

i will work on pushing up the tubes and play with the dampening front and rear and see if that helps. i'm not too worried about headshake, i have a scotts and i don't get over 30 very often or for very long, mostly just trail ride.

i'm also considering sending my front and rear shocks in to be (re)tuned for my weight and style. i have a good feeling that is a good part of the problem. i don't have a problem admitting if i'm skill challenged but i've been riding streetbikes for quite a while and do lots of high balance sports well (surfing, skiing) and i really feel like it's the set up.

I agree with most of you guys, the WR450 is a difficult bike to ride and you have to be an experienced rider. It has raw power and it also feels heavy but if you practice enough and get used to it, you can do anything you like with the bike and you'll be unstoppable.

Got to disagree with you here mate!

"You can do anything you like with the bike" - Except make it turn like a competition racing bike should!

Look at the list of mods and dollars spent by me and many others in an attempt to do this.

Of course experience will help but an experienced rider will still be able to ride other bikes faster than the WR.

I'm 95kg, 6'2" and physically fit and I'm strong enough to man-handle it around.

it's not a 250 2-stroke, the 07's-08's are different bikes then there steel framed brothers. proper set up, time on bike, right attitude. if i go out and feel like a turd, i ride like one. i rode my ktm 250 xc-w last yeat at idaho city 100, great bike, but this year i road my 07 wr. my bike got 2 gold medels :thumbsup: . 2-strokes are easier too throw around for a extended period of time, so do your push ups and thank the big guy that you ride a wr. Jeff S

I like the Dunlop 739.

If your bike pushes the front end it may mean your sag is set wrong. I set mine with all my gear on.

I also bleed the air out of the forks before I ride.

thanks for the input yall!!!

check that on the tire, i do have the 756. maybe i will change to the maxxis. i have the IT on the rear and bought a front but the more i read, i see that it might make things worse. i do have ultra HD tubes and run in the 12's range and that has helped, anything above 14 was brutal, i thought i was riding on marbles and it was impossible to keep the front end under me.

i will work on pushing up the tubes and play with the dampening front and rear and see if that helps. i'm not too worried about headshake, i have a scotts and i don't get over 30 very often or for very long, mostly just trail ride.

i'm also considering sending my front and rear shocks in to be (re)tuned for my weight and style. i have a good feeling that is a good part of the problem. i don't have a problem admitting if i'm skill challenged but i've been riding streetbikes for quite a while and do lots of high balance sports well (surfing, skiing) and i really feel like it's the set up.

The 756 is a great front tire. Its sticky and is good for guys that are "skill challenged", like me:ride:

I assumed that your bike is already properly sprung for your size and weight. Do not do anything until you at least have the correct springs in the bike. The wr absolutely requires a correct suspension setup or you may not like it.

At a mininum, you can change the springs yourself ($200) or go to a professional and have him setup your forks and shock for you ($700)

The former option is a good start and then you have to set your clickers correctly. If you go with a pro, they will put on new springs, possibly revalve and adjust your clickers for you to give you a good starting point.

:thumbsup: I think it boils down to your riding skill and experience, the WR is a great all rounder, for example I competed this weekend in the Kalahari Desert 1000, my bike treated me well, untill i clipped a tree! The event was +- 1000kms over two days, terrain was tight, sandy, rocky, open straights( very few), not many jumps though, But guess what? South African Enduro Champion won the race on a WR450, there was another one in third, This event had almost every type of dirt bike from 125mx bikes to 525KTMs,

Im a firm believer in rider experience and skill, ride he bike that suits you and your riding style

:thumbsup: I think it boils down to your riding skill and experience, the WR is a great all rounder, for example I competed this weekend in the Kalahari Desert 1000, my bike treated me well, untill i clipped a tree! The event was +- 1000kms over two days, terrain was tight, sandy, rocky, open straights( very few), not many jumps though, But guess what? South African Enduro Champion won the race on a WR450, there was another one in third, This event had almost every type of dirt bike from 125mx bikes to 525KTMs,

Im a firm believer in rider experience and skill, ride he bike that suits you and your riding style

Bingo:thumbsup:

Yep, it sounds like the WR450 is too much bike given the type of enduros you were describing. Light and flickable are not words that describe WR450's.

Somebody here mentioned the WR450 is like a tank. Well I prefer to describe my 2004 WR450 as a Cadillac (without the cushy seat). My bike is heavy, it feels heavy, but what a nice ride. I rode my nephews 2007 CRF450X. My immediate impression as I sat on it was Wow, this thing feels light. Then I rode it and I didn't like it at All. I didn't like the feel, I didn't like the power. I couldn't wait to get back on my "tank".

Yep, it sounds like the WR450 is too much bike given the type of enduros you were describing. Light and flickable are not words that describe WR450's.

Somebody here mentioned the WR450 is like a tank. Well I prefer to describe my 2004 WR450 as a Cadillac (without the cushy seat). My bike is heavy, it feels heavy, but what a nice ride. I rode my nephews 2007 CRF450X. My immediate impression as I sat on it was Wow, this thing feels light. Then I rode it and I didn't like it at All. I didn't like the feel, I didn't like the power. I couldn't wait to get back on my "tank".

Funny,I just rode a crf450 too. yeah it felt different, a little lighter but I was ready for my wr back. I liked my gearing and just overall position on the bike. With that being said I like what I'm used to. If it were my bike, I would get used to it and would adjust my riding style. Would I be faster on it? IDK. Maybe I could adjust my style and be faster. I ride for fun not competition. I have fun 99.9% of the time and can't wait to get back out there. As far as being tired , i ride till i'm tired. I have been going to the gym and my endurance is getting better. Has the bike forced me to get in better shape? Yes probably. Is that a bad thing? nope! I like 4 strokes period. That's my preference. Others may feel different. Ride on and have fun, that's the most important for me. I would never blaim my short comings as a rider on my bike. i may blame my short legs and 5'8" frame but never the bike!

Funny,I just rode a crf450 too. yeah it felt different, a little lighter but I was ready for my wr back. I liked my gearing and just overall position on the bike. With that being said I like what I'm used to. If it were my bike, I would get used to it and would adjust my riding style. Would I be faster on it? IDK. Maybe I could adjust my style and be faster. I ride for fun not competition. I have fun 99.9% of the time and can't wait to get back out there. As far as being tired , i ride till i'm tired. I have been going to the gym and my endurance is getting better. Has the bike forced me to get in better shape? Yes probably. Is that a bad thing? nope! I like 4 strokes period. That's my preference. Others may feel different. Ride on and have fun, that's the most important for me. I would never blaim my short comings as a rider on my bike. i may blame my short legs and 5'8" frame but never the bike!

Well said. And if you are serious about riding and especially racing you have to work on your strength and endurance. Ask any of the pros.

P.S. The best fitness program I have found is P90X. It strengthened muscles I never knew I had, and my leg endurance is phenomenal.. I am 42 and in the best shape of my life... Bring on my WR.

Well we're talking about a different idea of tight.

A 3hr race here is 60-80km :p

ganted, what i meant was that there were some technical sections as well, albiet not as technical as you are referring to.:thumbsup:

HI, I clicked on thisforum by accident, but the topic caught my eye, I have a wr250 and I'm a girl so maybe my experience can translate a little, or at least to say me too with what others have said. FIrst off I definately have to work out to ride the bike WELL. Having extra strength is like lightening the bike up 30 pounds. Yes the 739 stock tire is crap for Oregon wet woods, it was great in the Oregon desert. Stiffening up my sag made it turn better, you know how you flick the back end around a turn. Also turning the bike by leaning it over rather than turning the bars made it a lot faster in the tight stuff. Also I let the air out of the front tire down to 12# which has also done wonders(hub had it at 16#)--I haven't washed out since fixing the air--still have the 739 tho :thumbsdown:.

Anyways, I was on a trip this last weekend and I was going through tight stuff in 3rd when I was creeping thru in 2nd last year. There was a few spots I could weave the bars through the trees. Just saying suspension has a huge influence on handling. I also got a Yamalink on my bike which has the added perk of feeling like the center of gravity is lowered--dont' know if that's "true" but as long as it feels that way to me I'm pleased with that effect. Also, you're supposed to be up on the tank for turns, but I've found at least in sandy type stuff or tight stuff to be a little back and steer more with my butt, almost like you're pivoting on the back wheel rather than tracking what the front wheel is doing.

Hope that stuff helps.

My opinion really doesn't say much since my WR is the first dirtbike I've ever had. I can ride any quad for all its worth. Give me about 30 minutes to get used to it and thats the end of it. I'll show you what it can and can't do. My Banshee was my favorite. I spent a lot of the suspension. With a quad, thats the shocks AND what moves with them. The got the motor where I wanted it and it took a little while to see the end of that quad. Banshee's really were shitty UNLESS you could get all it had out of it. That hold true even with the bike bone stock. I've had my WR almost 3 years and just now starting to spend a little money on it here and there. The faster I get it to go, the more it reminds me of my Banshee. You have to push it to really appriciate it. There is a line where your are at all it has and where its really doing good. I've stripped off parts and replaced a few things with lighter versions and about the time I think I have it lighter, I grab a YZ and realize its just not ment to be. With that said and with me aluding to me old Banshee, I've realized that the guys who can make a WR look good, moved on to a YZ or something similar. The WR is like a quad set up strictly for XC racing. I also think that a good understanding of what it was exactly designed for gives a better understanding of which direction to head if you don't like something. I can list a few things that I've changed and will be changing in the future(preferably before the local XC races start back up) but thats personal perferance.

My opinion really doesn't say much since my WR is the first dirtbike I've ever had. I can ride any quad for all its worth. Give me about 30 minutes to get used to it and thats the end of it. I'll show you what it can and can't do. My Banshee was my favorite. I spent a lot of the suspension. With a quad, thats the shocks AND what moves with them. The got the motor where I wanted it and it took a little while to see the end of that quad. Banshee's really were shitty UNLESS you could get all it had out of it. That hold true even with the bike bone stock. I've had my WR almost 3 years and just now starting to spend a little money on it here and there. The faster I get it to go, the more it reminds me of my Banshee. You have to push it to really appriciate it. There is a line where your are at all it has and where its really doing good. I've stripped off parts and replaced a few things with lighter versions and about the time I think I have it lighter, I grab a YZ and realize its just not ment to be. With that said and with me aluding to me old Banshee, I've realized that the guys who can make a WR look good, moved on to a YZ or something similar. The WR is like a quad set up strictly for XC racing. I also think that a good understanding of what it was exactly designed for gives a better understanding of which direction to head if you don't like something. I can list a few things that I've changed and will be changing in the future(preferably before the local XC races start back up) but thats personal perferance.

Go and wash your mouth out:foul:

Yeah the WR 450 is big. This is my 1st real dirt bike. My buddy's 250 Kawasaki is easier through the tight single tracks, but the power of the WR 450 smokes it. Probably don't need all that power. However, going up a tight and steep single track in the mountains and woods here the WR rocks!! I take it slow and lug and chug up through anything I've got into yet, and a lot I've been through has been challenging. can't beat the low end power, there's an endless supply on tap.

But I'm not racing so maybe all that don't even apply.

Hey what about dropping the front end down 1/2 cm from stock. My buddy tells me to do that to get the front turning quicker.

Hey what about dropping the front end down 1/2 cm from stock. My buddy tells me to do that to get the front turning quicker.

5-10mm will do the trick. Check the rear sag also. No need to drop the forks in the clamps if your sagging to much

Yeah the WR 450 is big. This is my 1st real dirt bike. My buddy's 250 Kawasaki is easier through the tight single tracks, but the power of the WR 450 smokes it. Probably don't need all that power. However, going up a tight and steep single track in the mountains and woods here the WR rocks!! I take it slow and lug and chug up through anything I've got into yet, and a lot I've been through has been challenging. can't beat the low end power, there's an endless supply on tap.

But I'm not racing so maybe all that don't even apply.

I concur!

It helped mine tremendously but I wouldn't call it "fluid". Its still pretty notchy going slow. Theres still a fine line between where you're turning it really good and it will let go. Basically, you don't gradually lean it over too far and it kind-of starts to wash-out. My rear sag is at 3 1/2 inches. There's no real give-or-take there.