HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
S_Phillips

APJ on 2002 FCR Carb

8 posts in this topic

I can adjust the screw on the side of the carb where the APJ doesn't even squirt untill 3/4

throttle, and when it does it only last's for about 1/4 second.

Will this be ok or should I disable it completely?

Although I don't know how to do that yet but I'm sure I could figure it out eventually.

Comments please?

Thanks

Originally posted by S Phillips:

Comments please?

Thanks

Do a search for "BK" mod and you can read more than will ever want to know about accelerator pump modification.

Hope this helps.

BTW it is a good idea to keep track of where that screw was set from the factory.

Dude,

I'm confused. You seem to be on your way. If you want help, let us know where you're trying to get.

Good luck,

mwc

HICK

BTW it is a good idea to keep track of where that screw was set from the factory.

yes it was exactly 4 turns

I didn't think the BK mod worked on the 2002 carby so I will do some more searching

MARK

But will it run without an AP. Mine won't

Thanks was the goal actually :)

Thanks guys

Mark -

I was actually trying to disable the AJP.

Anyway I was just playing with the timing screw

you turn it in far enough and the APJ will not activate until 3/4 throttle.

Now that I've seen the BK MOD I'll go that route.

At least it will now be adjustable

how many folks leave that black plastic cover off?

Also some concern if it really matters on the 2002 with the remapped CDI :)

Thanks Mark

Originally posted by S Phillips:

Now that I've seen the BK MOD I'll go that route.

At least it will now be adjustable

how many folks leave that black plastic cover off?

Also some concern if it really matters on the 2002 with the remapped CDI :)

Thanks Mark

I believe the pump setup, probably just the diaphragm, has changed every year from ’00 to ’02, delivering a bit less fuel w/ each change. I haven’t seen one, but people have reported a shorter fuel stream duration from stock ’02s than you will see w/ ’00 and ’01 Flat CRs. So it seems the ’02 is a less needy candidate for the BK mod, but that doesn’t mean you cannot improve upon the stock pump setting.

I don’t think leaving the black plastic cover off is a good idea at all. I believe one of the design improvements of this carb over the Slant FCR is the “internalized” nature of the pump linkage as the Keihin setup (remember this is a street bike carb) allows crud to run down the linkage and get into the pump. Leaving the pulley cover of the Flat CR will expose the linkage to the same fate.

There is a round area in the molded plastic part that shows where to cut or drill so the cover fits around the BK screw, with the right screwdriver you can adjust this screw with the carb on the bike (and the pulley cover on the carb).

Hope this helps.

HICK - Thanks for the reply

There is a round area in the molded plastic part that shows where to cut or drill so the cover fits around the BK screw, with the right screwdriver you can adjust this screw with the carb on the bike (and the pulley cover on the carb).

Excellent didn't know that......

:)

I'll be doing the BK Mod tonite now that I know it can be accessed w/o much bother.