Hour Meter Install

Got my hour meter installed today. After reading where everyone else mounted theirs I elected to try something different. I cut out a pocket on the crossbar pad foam and snugged the yellow Briggs & Stratton meter into the pocket, then cut a small square on the crossbar pad cover. I'm pretty sure it is not going to come out of there and it will be easy for me to see and reset.

Quick question - my hour meter, when the bike is not running, shows 0.0. Does the hour meter stayed powered all the time?

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/John3202/?action=view&current=HourMeter.jpg

?action=view&current=HourMeter.jpg

HourMeter.jpg?t=1213309527

Different?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6508575#post6508575

He's not the first, either. Sorry.

There is no source of power for the meter with the engine off. Many of them have an internal battery to maintain the display, and in some cases, the memory. If the meter resets to zero with each restart, it either has a missing battery, a bad battery, or is designed to use vehicle power for memory maintenance, in which case, it's probably not going to be suitable.

sounds like the battery in yours went dead - can you get a warranty replacement?

According to this document, once dead they're garbage, but in that case, for me it would be time to crack it open and see what can be done about fixing it - it may be flat Li-Ion that you can replace...

http://reviews.ebay.com/Briggs-and-Stratton-Maintenance-Minder-P-N-5081_W0QQugidZ10000000003185244?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:3

I think you all misunderstood. I have not run the bike with the hour meter installed yet, that is why it still reads 0.0. What I was asking was whether the meter numbers should stay visible all the time. I think the answer is yes since it obviously runs on a watch battery of some sort, not off a separate power source.

ah.....I understood you.

The hrs the bike is on will stay displayed.....

I'm glad someone finally understood my question. Thanks. After running the bike with the meter installed I realized that the display stays on, much like a digital watch. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I lifted the rubber boot a little bit, took the first wrap under the edge of the boot, then took about 3 wraps around the body of the coil. I then wrapped it tight with electrical tape with a single zip tie to keep everything snug.

• 8 months later...

I have a hourmeter on my sons bike but don't get a good reading it says to wrap it around the sparkplug wire but on these bikes they don't have a plug wire i see two wires that go into the coil do i wrap around one of them? he has an 08 rmz250?

I have a hourmeter on my sons bike but don't get a good reading it says to wrap it around the sparkplug wire but on these bikes they don't have a plug wire i see two wires that go into the coil do i wrap around one of them? he has an 08 rmz250?

Dude....you question was just answered in the previous post.?